Barn Burner 75 watt HID... identity revealed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunday 01/22/2006

As promised, I will reveal the details of the Burn Burner in just a moment or so. But first, I have to give everyone a little "background" on a "little problem" we encountered in doing the shotout last evening.

I hope that everyone is current on the relationship between AZ Project of Japan, and XeVsion USA. Everyone should know that there was a discussion about the two companies, and why there was a price discrpency even after import duties etc was factored into XeVsion's pricing.

Long story short, XeVision justified their price because they changed out the factory bulb, with a GE bulb; in XeVisions opinion, the GE bulb is a better bulb that the one offered by AZ Project .

Well, a fellow CPF member got tired of hearing the BS, so he went out of his way, got an AZ bulb and sent it to me to compare with the GE bulb. AZ Project heard about what was going on, and ask this other CPF member, to ask me, NOT to post pictures of their bulb compared to the GE... they must have known their bulb didn't compare.

AZ Project, you need to work on your bulb.... I will not keep CPF members "in the dark"

azbulb.jpg

Now with regards to the Barn Burner....

XeRay using a Phillips DL50 overdirven with custom 75 watt ballast. XeVsion has has been doing this for a while in aircraft applications, they just put it in a hand held unit. They are working to reconfigure the batteries for longer run time.

Ome more thing... I kinda like the XeRay50 using the Phillips DL50 bulb

Saturday 01/21/2006
First, my thanks to mtnbkdad for assisting with tonights exercise.

Lets not waste time
bbb.jpg

bbwide.jpg

Tonight we had the Costco HID, Polarion, X990, new NFA, XeRay 35 (two versions), XeRay 50 (three versions), Thor HID mod, and last and best, the Barn Burner (top left and lower right).

Just a little more to write, and full review tommorrow

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Barn Burner...

Jeff,

I was glad I could help, thanks again for giving me a call tonight.

Sombody asked for a pic of the the person doing the shooting in the Superlights III thread so here it is for tonights shoot.

This is Mr Ted Bear himself shooting a shot of the Costco HID.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:
PS. The barn burner is Bright!

JeffShootingCostco.jpg

InfidelCastro

Banned
Re: Barn Burner 75 watt HID

Wow!!! And a great yellowish sun colored beam too instead of that lame blue you see on so many HID's these days!! I'm impressed. Can't wait to hear more.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Which ever light is on the bottom row along with the Barn Burner is in the same league, kind of hanging in there!!

I am ready for Pics of this "BarnBurner" (BB).

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

If I was in the advertising business, and asked to promote a light like this, I would find an old abandoned barn somewhere. Then paint a circle where the light hits with kerosene, and set off a bunch of hidden ignitors as this light was shining at the barn.

Imagine how effective the "exaggerated 'Barn Burner'" advertising would be for it !!!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't wait to see the names associated with the above pictures. I will be checking out this thread tonight to get the full scoop. The Barn Burner 75 is nice indeed. Looking forward for pictures to gage relative size etc to the XeRay and the Polarion.

The pictures look like they go from dimmest to brightest. When you really look at the Barn Burner picture and the area surrounding the tree you can really start to appreciate its output compared to some of the other lights that are still close and more than likely more light than any of us really "need".

Curtis

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

Oh No! Here we go again. Lets see now, how can I get one of my special "discounts" on the BB??? Any ideas, Curtis?

I wonder if Pic 120 is the Polarion? Sort of a smallerish well defined spot.

I think the Costco HID is Pic 100, Pic 116 is XeRay 50 w/GE lamp, Pic 101 is Xeray 35 w/GE lamp, Pic 116 is XeRay 50 w/stock lamp and Pic 113 is XeRay 35 w/ stock lamp.

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well BVH.... you could always reduce the head count in your signiture so that you can get a "discount" on the BB. There is also the thought of dropping your USL count down to 1.... I think you are getting 2 now right.

I too have to reduce headcount. Won't be able to squeeze this by The Warden.... I have already depleted my "play" money on the Polarion. This one will need to come in way under radar or else I will be sent to solitary confinement for misconduct. Once the review and pricing are announced I will make a decision whether or not to be on the list and then will start posting in BST some things to provide me a "discount" off the price of the BB. :) Hell maybe I can get a work bonus between now and then and deposit that money into the flashlight fund. :) ;)

Curtis

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's half time, so i decided to add the wide shots in the first post. nfa is middle seccond row, so it did ok; even beat one 50 watter

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

couple more hours.... this is the problem with being on the East coast when the reviewer is on the West coast. :( It is already dark/night time here.

Curtis

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr Ted Bear is a teaser all right so I will let you all know the Barn Burner is well worth the wait. If you like spotlights it is just a beautiful thing to behold this marvel in use. :D :D :D

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

BVH

Flashaholic

:popcorn::popcorn: - Paul Newman's, to be specific. Very, Very good popcorn! Goes good with Orange Cream soda. Waitn for the show!

:paypal:, Opps maybe a little too early for that!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Way to go XeVision and crew with the BB. Mr Ted Bear and Mtbkdad.... thanks again for this test.

I wonder how the 75 watt ballast and the battery setup effects the weight compared to the standard XeRay 50 at 5lbs 5.2 Ounces?

Also interested to know the amount of runtime associated with the new battery setup.

Curtis

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: Barn Burner 75 watt HID... identity revelaed !

Dan, are you going to produce the Barn Burner for general sales? Will you offer a group buy on the customized Barn Burner? I'd be in on one if you do.

How is DL50 availability. I thought they we no longer produced?

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in as well for a BB providing the weight haven't jumped too much and the runtime is acceptable.

Curtis

Last edited:

XeVision

Banned

cue003 said:
Way to go XeVision and crew with the BB. Mr Ted Bear and Mtbkdad.... thanks again for this test.

I wonder how the 75 watt ballast and the battery setup effects the weight compared to the standard XeRay 50 at 5lbs 5.2 Ounces?

Also interested to know the amount of runtime associated with the new battery setup. Curtis

The unit will weigh only the additional added by 3-4 Li-Ion cells or a few more ounces. With existing battery pack run time of about an hour or so. With the upgraded pack we expect 90 minutes run time. We will be about 6-8 weeks before we will be ready with production. We have not decided on a GB yet and also have not established pricing yet. The same housing etc is used only the ballast internals (ballast case identical) and bulb is changed.

BVH

Flashaholic

Dan, thanks for the added info. I'll be looking forward to seeing this product come to market!

Status
Not open for further replies.