Tutorial: How to fit 4 Energizer 2500 cells across in a D-Mag without boring!

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I've read on CPF that the new Energizer 2500mAh and also the Sanyo 2300 and 2500mAh won't fit into most D-Mags because the cells are slightly thicker than normal AA cells.

When I recieved my bunch of Energizer 2500 I noticed that they really don't fit, unless you use a special trick:

The cells are isolated by a thin plastic layer on the outside, and at one side of the cell this layer wraps around, making the cell a little thicker:

Magmod0.jpg

If you turn it into the right position, the cell appears a little smaller:

Magmod1.jpg

Here comes the trick: When you insert the cells into the Mag, make sure that the cells are correctly aligned, so they don't touch neither each other nor the wall with their thick side!

Magmod2.jpg

Here is the proof that they really fit inside now:

Magmod3.jpg

They are fitting a little tight, but you can insert them all the way by nearly no force:

Magmod4.jpg

I haven't seen this trick on CPF before. Without it, it's really impossible to insert them into my Mag

Notice: My Mag was custom HA-III black anodized, but I don't think that changed the size of it.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
That really is a usefull discovery indeed! Do you think it's safe to pull the plastic right off the battery all together, or does it serve any real purpose in holding anything in place?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kryosphinx said:
That's a nice trick, but can it fit with the correct holder?

Looking at the picture made me think that a "holder" is not really needed and this might lead to a much cheaper design.
A top plate with four guides (even wooden dowels might work well) and a bottom plate that slipped on to the dowels and was held in place by the tail would seem to work.

(I also noticed how the interior seems square where the batteries are.)

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starlight said:
The "holder" is necessary, because it puts the cells in series, rather than parallel.
Remembering which way to load the batteries is the only difference that would make. I have quite a few items including flashlight and a camera where batteries are stuck into essentially a rectangular, rather than circular areas and series, parallel or both are decided by the end plates.
In fact I realize I have so many of them that I probably got "my" idea from those devices.

lexina

Enlightened
This may explain why sometimes I can get my 7 Sanyo 2500s to fit into my unbored 2D (in a 8AA-2D MM adapter) relatively easily and other times they seem to jam. I had assumed that certain cells were slimmer and had marked the bottom 4 cells. Looks like I now may have to also mark their orientation.

Last edited:

ddaadd

Enlightened
My CPB 1650's are max 0.558" min 0.556" OD....

ID of my 3D Mag is 1.341"

It is 65F, or apx 18C at my bench,

Orientated properly they barely started, but would not go past halfway in

without undue force. If the batteries were to heat up more than the

housing it would tend to "form fit" the batteries, or the housing,

hmmmm....

Update: I am pulling the switch out of my Mag to get them out now...

:awman:

:lolsign:

Last edited:

ddaadd

Enlightened
DaMeatMan said:
Do you think it's safe to pull the plastic right off the battery all together, or does it serve any real purpose in holding anything in place?

You really don't want to do that,

the exposed side would then be your negative contact.

:ohgeez:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
My CPB 1650's are max 0.558" min 0.556" OD....

ID of my 3D Mag is 1.341"

Apparently mags vary some. My 0.556" batteries would NOT fit in my mag. I bought some that measured 0.550" and they fit fine. IIRC Alkaline AA's measure 0.550" also.

MoonRise

Enlightened
pst, the IEC/ANSI spec for AA cells is

diameter = 13.5 to 14.5 mm (0.5315 to 0.5709 inch)

length = 49.2 to 50.5 mm (1.9370 to 1.9881 inch)

So the cells involved here aren't even as big as a AA cell is 'allowed' to be!

BTW, good observation Spacemarine about the double layer wrap area being a bit thicker and how to orient that 'bump' to maybe get the cells to fit.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
ddaadd said:
You really don't want to do that,

the exposed side would then be your negative contact.

:ohgeez:

You know what.. i don't even know why i didn't think of that first before asking the question. It's a really good thing you mentioned that though!

zelda

Enlightened
The 1900mAh batteries fits easy in an original mag and have about 0.5mm play.
The holder is self-made with some circuit boards.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey! Great information here. Way to go!

I don't have problem fitting eight (8) DURACELL & Energizer 2500mAhs with Modamag's 8AA to 2D battery adapter into mine. I've posted this in another thread, and they simply slide in "without" force, and slide back out. It has no "play" once in my un-bored 2D Maglite tube. Then again, Your Maglite May Vary.

Enjoy!