DRB-9VHP and 12VHP won't work w/prot 123s

jts

Newly Enlightened
I'm a recent convert to this free lumens thing, and have started experimenting with rechargeables. I want to use a 9V in a 2x123 body and a 12V in a 3x123 body (looking for some maximum output, small form factor fun lights). Based on some posts, I ordered a G&P G90 high pressure LA from tradedigit thinking it would be sufficiently low draw but no dice (using protected 750ma cells from lighthound). It's not a double or triple click proposition, sometimes it will light after 7-8 clicks but more often than not, nothing.

Now the consensus seems to be that the Digilight DRB-9VHP will work with protected R123s, but just fishing to see if anyone has not been able to make that combo work before I order. Also checking to see if anyone has had success using the DRB-12VHP with protected R123s. Not really interested in using unprotected cells at this point.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jts

Newly Enlightened
I'll answer my own question and state that the new Digilight lamps will not work with protected 123s for me, which is a little surprising since other people seem to get this combo to work, at least with respect to the 9V lamp. for those people who have used this combo successfully, which brand of batteries are you using?

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this observation.
I was about to order the Diglight DRB-9VHP bulb to use in my G2 with protected 123's form Battery Station.
I assumed that this combo will work without double clicking.

mdocod

Flashaholic
did you get the lamp DIRECT from digilight (like we were talking about based on Jeff@digilights responce a few weeks back in other threads?).. The TRUE digilight DRB-9VHP is a different animal than the G&P G90 being sold "as a DRB" elsewhere... and untill digilight resellers get old stock cleared out and new stock in, they will continue to sell the G&P version....

Sounds like you ordered yours from tradedigit- they sell G&P G90s, and G&P G120 lamps... which draw ~1.2Aamps and ~1.35amps respectivally(too much for most protected 123s). The digilight DRB-9VHP only draws 0.8A, it's much more efficiant. I'm unsure of the current draw of the 12V from digilight, but for it to carry the same 80 minut runtime rating, it would have to be ~0.8A also...

hope this helps clear up the confusion.

jts

Newly Enlightened
yup, ordered the lamps direct from digilightusa, although i just noticed that neither is marked "HP" as is shown in the picture on their website.

mdocod

Flashaholic
setup the 12V lamp to run from 4 3V primaries and test the current. If it is between 0.8-1.0A, then it would be one of the efficiant models, if it measures closer to 1.3A, then it's a G120.....

How long ago were the lamps purchased.. this leads me to question a lot of what we thoguht we were starting to know about digilight lamps. maybe digilight only sells their premium LAs in their flashlights, and their replacement lamps are still just G&Ps... hmmmmmmmmmmm.

B

borntorun1269

Hello,

I'm a new member but I read this forum for a while.
Last week I got two 9 Volt Lamps from Digilight USA. They are labeled
Digilight +Xenon + 9V.
The lamps doesn't work with two protected 123s. Sometimes you can get it to work with a multiple click in a Surefire 6P.
When they work you can't see a difference in brightness to the G90 from lighthound.

Sorry for my bad english but I think if I write here in this forum it will be getting better.

RowdyOne

Newly Enlightened
Please forgive the newbie question, but how can I measure the current drawn? I have a basic multimeter and a 9V DRB-9VHP(straight from DigiLight) that will not trigger, without multiple clicks, from 2 battery station rechargeable 123's.

Thanks!

mdocod said:
setup the 12V lamp to run from 4 3V primaries and test the current. If it is between 0.8-1.0A, then it would be one of the efficiant models, if it measures closer to 1.3A, then it's a G120.....

How long ago were the lamps purchased.. this leads me to question a lot of what we thoguht we were starting to know about digilight lamps. maybe digilight only sells their premium LAs in their flashlights, and their replacement lamps are still just G&Ps... hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Delvance

Enlightened
First off, you're going to need to use some batteries that will allow the light to run. Then get your DMM, set it to 10A (usually that's what it is), place the red lead plug into the socket on the DMM where it says 10A, then remove tailcap from torch, negative probe on battery negative, positive probe on a contact area of the torch. ie. the metal sidewall/sidestrip. Basically, putting the DMM in series. Will take a second or two to get the amps drawn as you have to allow for the spike (massive amp draw to warm up the filament in the lamp).

Interesting thread...looks like the safe way to get more lumens 9V wise, is to get the wolfeyes D26 assembly...i don't care for it's no throw setup though.

:popcorn:

RowdyOne

Newly Enlightened
Boy! That makes too much sense!

I just checked the 2 lamps I got straight from Digilight and they run 1.2 and 1.16. I guess an e-mail to them is in order.

Thanks!

Delvance said:
First off, you're going to need to use some batteries that will allow the light to run. Then get your DMM, set it to 10A (usually that's what it is), place the red lead plug into the socket on the DMM where it says 10A, then remove tailcap from torch, negative probe on battery negative, positive probe on a contact area of the torch. ie. the metal sidewall/sidestrip. Basically, putting the DMM in series. Will take a second or two to get the amps drawn as you have to allow for the spike (massive amp draw to warm up the filament in the lamp).

Interesting thread...looks like the safe way to get more lumens 9V wise, is to get the wolfeyes D26 assembly...i don't care for it's no throw setup though.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
I just posted in another thread that I am temporarily retracting my claim in The Rechargeable Battery Compatibility Chart that the DigiLight DRB-9VHP 9V lamp assembly will light with one click when driven by two (2) LightHound protected 3.7V RCR123A 750mAh rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Too many fellow CPF members have reported that this lamp/battery combination does not work and I suspect that my lamp assembly or batteries may be unusual.

Since I do not have any test equipment I can not confirm either the current draw of my DigiLight 9V lamp or the current cutoff threshold of my LightHound protected RCR123A's. I have already promised RowdyOne that I will send him some pictures of my DigiLight lamp and LightHound batteries when I return from a camping trip this weekend. I'll post these pictures to CPF so that we can see if there are any differences between my DigiLight lamp and the DRB-9VHP lamps owned by other CPF'ers.

In the mean time, I can confirm two 9V lamp assemblies that consistently work when driven by two protected 17500 Li-ion's - DigiLight's DRB-9VPH and the G&P G90 lamp's. To my knowledge, everyone who has tried these two lamps with two protected 17500's has had success lighting them with only one click. If you're willing to use a 3x123 flashlight body or a one cell extender (like the SureFire A19) with a 2x123 body, two 17500's or pair of Pila/Wolf-Eyes 150's should do the trick.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I just checked the 2 lamps I got straight from Digilight and they run 1.2 and 1.16. I guess an e-mail to them is in order.
very odd-- how long ago did yu purchase these lamps? And if recently, I wonder if digilight ditched their "efficiant" lamps in favor of cheaper G90s again... At 1.2A, it's pretty hard to claim an 80 minut runtime, unless you include the last 10 minuts at a very light orange glow in the filament as runtime. Kinda wondering now, if only the lamps they ship with their lights have the fancy lamps... really wish we could get to the true bottom of this....

To my knowledge, everyone who has tried these two lamps with two protected 17500's has had success lighting them with only one click.
unfortunatally, not true- we have to dance on the tailcap to light up a G90 in an ultrafire with 2x emilions protected 17500s, probably the only 17500s known to us that DON'T work very well. I think the safe bet is to buy from AW or get Pila Cells. AWs new cells should be able to light up just about any lamp within reason...

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
I just received my 2 DRB-9VHP bulbs and both are not marked as HP on the sleeve. :sweat:
Because I loaned my G2 to a friend and haven't got it back yet I tested one of the bulbs with 3 CR123 primaries.
It draws 1.15+-0.05 amps.
This is very disappointing because I was guaranteed by Digilight that I'd receive the efficient model drawing 0.8 amps. :mad:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
That's not good, I've just placed an order for one and payed international shipping to get it to NZ. Digilight were very helpful in processing my order, their customer service is great. Now I didn't ask specifically for a 0.8a version, I just assumed that's what they were selling. I plan on running it with two AW 17500s, so I hope it is the 0.8a model I get.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Well my bulbs arrived today and they are not marked HP and the 9v draws 1.18 amps.

I've sent an email off to Reggie at Digilite and I'll wait for his response. It does run off AWs 17500s with out any trouble or need to double click.

I'm not too worried, but I did pay a premium to get these lamps from Digilight. I could have picked up G&P G90s from tradedigit on ebay for half the cost, but went to Digilight based on the info about their 0.8 amp, 175 lumen lamps.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
nzgunnie said:
Well my bulbs arrived today and they are not marked HP and the 9v draws 1.18 amps.

I've sent an email off to Reggie at Digilite and I'll wait for his response. It does run off AWs 17500s with out any trouble or need to double click.

I'm not too worried, but I did pay a premium to get these lamps from Digilight. I could have picked up G&P G90s from tradedigit on ebay for half the cost, but went to Digilight based on the info about their 0.8 amp, 175 lumen lamps.

Where were people getting the 800mA from anyway?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
Where were people getting the 800mA from anyway?

On here, oddly enough.

Still the Digilight is brighter and whiter than my P90 and has a tighter hotspot and a bit less flood. I'm now running both, one in a 9P and the other in my new 6P with detonator extender from lighthound.