DRB-9VHP and 12VHP won't work w/prot 123s

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically no actual proof? I've got a G90 here infront of me that pulls .93 amps on regular old CR123's, .85 from a Pila 168S and 1.17 from 2xR123's

I just dont see the 800mA thing happening, especially at 175 lumens, unless it was a fluke.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW every Xenon light I have that I've measured has drawn an average of 1.15 amps, be it 3.7v 6v 9v or 12v. The two exceptions were a Strion bulb on an R123 at 990mA and a G&P G120 driven by 3 R123's at about 1.5 amps. Now THAT is one bright mother!

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
BTW every Xenon light I have that I've measured has drawn an average of 1.15 amps, be it 3.7v 6v 9v or 12v. The two exceptions were a Strion bulb on an R123 at 990mA and a G&P G120 driven by 3 R123's at about 1.5 amps. Now THAT is one bright mother!
1.15A on a 3.7V lamp? I don't see how.

G&P claims 1.8A for its G5R.

At 1C (the 60-minute discharge rate), a 2000mAh cell will deliver about 1700 mAh . Well, Wolf Eyes claimed that its original 3.7V lamp delivered 50 minutes on one 2000 mAh cell; for the new 3.7V, Wolf Eyes claims 60 minutes. These numbers suggest that the two lamps draw about 2.1 and 1.7A.

AW's old 17670 (1600 mAh) can't light any of these lamps.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3.7v lamps were Strion and Stinger bulb direct driven on a Pila 168S.

The 6v was a Pelican M6, the 9 and 12v ones were G&P.

The highest I've found is the 1.5 amps the G120 bulb pulls on 3xR123's. I think the R123's are overdriving it which explains the higher draw rate.

With my "integrating milk jug" I measured the Digilight NT9 at 90 lumens, and the G120 bulb driven by 3 R123's at 226. The light coming out the front of this thing is just insane.

It seems a lot of the less expensive protected Li-Ions have their circuits set to trip at a lower current levels than they should be.

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
I wrote to Digilight about the bulbs I received and that they draw more current than promised.
Looks like I got the wrong ones due to a shipping error.

Reggie@Digilight offered me to keep the bulbs. Thumbs up for that!

Digilight is currently sold out of the more efficient bulbs.
I'll get on the back-order list.

mdocod

Flashaholic
interesting... that explains a bit- aparantly, they are sometimes mixing up which bulbs they send, (probably still stocking the less efficiant lamps for their cheaper consumer level lights, or something)...

so the trick would be to make absolute sure that they know what you want when ordering....

Sanny

Newly Enlightened
Phreeq,

I´m interested in getting one of the more efficient DRB-9VHP's; if you are willing to add one to your order we could share the shipping costs. please let me know.

thanks
Sanny

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Phreeq said:
I wrote to Digilight about the bulbs I received and that they draw more current than promised.
Looks like I got the wrong ones due to a shipping error.

Reggie@Digilight offered me to keep the bulbs. Thumbs up for that!

Digilight is currently sold out of the more efficient bulbs.
I'll get on the back-order list.

Same here, Reggie was very helpful though and will send me the correct bulb when they get it in stock, great customer service!

mdocod

Flashaholic
So basically no actual proof? I've got a G90 here infront of me that pulls .93 amps on regular old CR123's, .85 from a Pila 168S and 1.17 from 2xR123's

I thnk a regular G90 would draw about 0.85 when underdriven by a single 3.7V cell, I think it would draw about 0.93 on 3 parcially used CR123s, and about 1.17A on freshly charged R123s... so i'd say all that sounds about right...

post #24 here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/106926 is a responce from Jeffrey@digilight confirming that they have been making more efficiant versions of the G90...

From testing and comparisons others have done, I think we have to consider it about a ~130-150 lumen lamp, not 175... still brighter than a Surefire P90 using similar/less power.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....What have you guys and gals got against unprotected cells? I am having great results with them powering all sorts of very bright lamps. Three cells powering a 12V lamp assembly or 2 cells powering a 9V lamp assembly. These cells are ideal in both of these applications. No double taps here. If the light does not come on when I turn it on it is not what I want. I like my lights bright. When the lamp starts to dim I take the batteries out and recharge them. This works fine with unprotected cells.
jc

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jclarksnakes said:
....What have you guys and gals got against unprotected cells? I am having great results with them powering all sorts of very bright lamps. Three cells powering a 12V lamp assembly or 2 cells powering a 9V lamp assembly. These cells are ideal in both of these applications. No double taps here. If the light does not come on when I turn it on it is not what I want. I like my lights bright. When the lamp starts to dim I take the batteries out and recharge them. This works fine with unprotected cells.
jc

I agree. It would take a catastrophic failure of the light itself to cause a kaboom in the cells, and that isn't very likely. My light would have to be very damaged for it to happen, and if it were that damaged I wouldnt be using it in the first place.

mdocod

Flashaholic
but if you can find a combination of protected cells and a LA that work together reliably, then you can comfortably lend it to a friend or co-worker and not worry about it being left on. I think it's worth finding a working combo for the piece of mind... But for a light that is only being operated by a CPFer, unprotected would be fine for sure..

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
After my earlier post on this thread I am honor bound to come here to confess that tonight I blew one of the G&P 12 volt lamp assemblies powering it with three unprotected 123 cells. The cells were fresh off the charger. This combo WAS working fine for a month or so of use. No big deal to me, this is the first time I have burned a bulb since becoming flashlight addicted and started to monkey with lights seriously several months ago. I will get another 12V lamp assembly next time I buy something from one of the guys on Ebay selling Ultrafire or Superfire lights.
jc

jezzyp

Enlightened
I emailed Digilight on 18th May about the expected delivery of their DRB-9VHP and have heard nothing :thumbsdow . In that sort of time lighhound can process my order and ship to the UK:grin2: