Best 3 AAA LED flashlight

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
I have about 100 AAA batteries (don't ask) so im looking for a nice LED light that uses 3 AAA in a magazine type setup like on the Dorcy Metal but possibly with the switch near the head instead of the tailcap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy makes a 1 and 3 watt with a barrel switch as well. You should be able to find one or both at your nearest Target store.

Spongebob said:
I have about 100 AAA batteries (don't ask) so im looking for a nice LED light that uses 3 AAA in a magazine type setup like on the Dorcy Metal but possibly with the switch near the head instead of the tailcap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Target store in GA at least the ones where I live do not carry them, if they did they would be out of them like they are everything else. The buyer at Target should be fired, they started to carry the Inova line of lights and have been sold out since last yr.

Also I did a web search and the Dorcy 1 and 3 watt 3 LED lights look alot like the Element light I got last yr at Sams. Nice lights but I only got a half hr of high output then a couple hrs of cheep keychain light quality output.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one here, the MXDL 3 Watt is not at all bad, at $15 shipped, I picked up several and gave them out to my relatives on the last blackout and they all love it. Quickbeam (Flashlight reviews) rated it pretty good too.

PICT0079.JPG

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1011.htm

Their shipping was fast too, especially for free shipping.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but the Petzl Tikka XP or the Princeton Tec EOS headlamps might be worth looking into... I use mine more than I use my flashlights (although, I don't have any amazing flashlights... yet... ha ha ha).

They both take AAA batteries, and both last forever... unless you're wanting to cruise through those AAA's, then get something else.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
This one here, the MXDL 3 Watt is not at all bad, at $15 shipped, I picked up several and gave them out to my relatives on the last blackout and they all love it. Quickbeam (Flashlight reviews) rated it pretty good too.

PICT0079.JPG

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1011.htm

Their shipping was fast too, especially for free shipping.

That looks exactly like what im wanting. Is it aluminum or plastic, kind of has that plastic look to it. Also is there a lanyard hole anywhere on the light.

flashlife

Enlightened
If you have an Academy Sports nearby, there's this:
"Magellan" 1 watt Lux, 3xAAA,
Similar/Identical to 'Gentos Superfire 101'...link below:
http://fuja.s22.xrea.com/review/sf101_105/index.html

Probably, actually a re-branded Nuwai ALX-313a...link below:
http://www.nuwai.com.tw/1_watt_led/alx-713c.htm

Features: Somewhat focusable hotspot, very bright, good side spill, dual mode-lo/high-side clicky. Draws 350ma on high, 35ma on low. High out=throws Dorcy Metal Gear, low output is similar to RR 2AAA. Well made...I have one.

cavanaug

Newly Enlightened
Gerber LX 3.0 is currently on sale at REI for $36. I just picked one up the other day and its a very sturdy and quite bright light.

--
John Cavanaugh

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that you're probably a bit ill-informed. The buyer doesn't stock the store. In any case, they obviously don't see a need to restock the store in your area, perhaps due to a lack of demand or it's just a store they don't take a lot of interest in stocking. If your pre-judgement of the Dorcy lights is predetermined based upon your experience with the Elements, then you probably won't be happy regardless of what actually happens. You'll probably be better off finding a 3AA light that is fully regulated, but it might cost a little more.

Spongebob said:
Target store in GA at least the ones where I live do not carry them, if they did they would be out of them like they are everything else. The buyer at Target should be fired, they started to carry the Inova line of lights and have been sold out since last yr.

Also I did a web search and the Dorcy 1 and 3 watt 3 LED lights look alot like the Element light I got last yr at Sams. Nice lights but I only got a half hr of high output then a couple hrs of cheep keychain light quality output.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
My guess is that you're probably a bit ill-informed. The buyer doesn't stock the store. In any case, they obviously don't see a need to restock the store in your area, perhaps due to a lack of demand or it's just a store they don't take a lot of interest in stocking. If your pre-judgement of the Dorcy lights is predetermined based upon your experience with the Elements, then you probably won't be happy regardless of what actually happens. You'll probably be better off finding a 3AA light that is fully regulated, but it might cost a little more.

So are the Elements actually the same as the Dorcy or not? The Dorcy Metal my son has has great run time on it, but the Element was horrible so I would be interested in trying a Dorcy if you are in fact saying they are better as far as run time then the new Elements. I would get a Metal (which is still a posibility) but Im trying to avoid the tailcap clicky.

Stocking the store is not the problem, Ive asked an employee several times about them and they just don't send them so I would say thats a buying issue not stocking. You can't stock something that has not been ordered.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than re-invent the wheel, perhaps referring you to this site
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ It should be a pretty good resource for you to research some of the lights that you're interested in as well as getting some background on their manufacturers and the run times that you should expect.

With regards to store inventory ... let's just say that I don't make it a habit to go around believing what a floor sales associate or the kid who rounds up the shopping carts from the parking lot tells me. It's just kind of a wild guess, but I'd be inclined to think that outside of where the timeclock might be, they probably know nothing about the store operations. Don't you find it odd that others can find these products in their Target (or Wal*Mart, or whatever) stores and you can't? But on the off-chance that Target's distribution center does not see a need to restock your local stores, it might be a clue to start locating alternative locations.

In our area, the chains (all of them whether they be department or supermarkets) tend to stock stores based upon demographics. Some merchandise may not be stocked in all stores, there may be items stocked in some stores specifically due to their neighborhood demographics (e.g. one of our Costco stores carries Asian and Hispanic food items that aren't usually found in other stores. Similarly stores in lower socio-economic areas tend not to be well stocked or restocked as often as those it the higher socio-economic neighborhoods. I know it's not fair, but that's just the way it is, just as they'll charge you more for your car insurance because of the neighborhood or city that you live in, in addition to your driving record.

BTW, Dorcy doesn't market the Elements that are in Sam's. I believe they come from a company called Allied, the same company that packages the tools from India/Pakistan in Costco and Sam's stores (and various other places.)

Spongebob said:
So are the Elements actually the same as the Dorcy or not? The Dorcy Metal my son has has great run time on it, but the Element was horrible so I would be interested in trying a Dorcy if you are in fact saying they are better as far as run time then the new Elements. I would get a Metal (which is still a posibility) but Im trying to avoid the tailcap clicky.

Stocking the store is not the problem, Ive asked an employee several times about them and they just don't send them so I would say thats a buying issue not stocking. You can't stock something that has not been ordered.

flashlife

Enlightened

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Lets just say our Target stores here suck and leave it at that lol. I do like Target and the ones in the middle TN area where I used to live always had lights in stock.

I will check the link you gave me and also have my brother in law back in TN look at the Target store for the Dorcy lights.
Thanks

Zigzago

Enlightened
I have one of the Sears Craftsman 3AAA lights.
Sears website.

It's not as compact as the Dorcy, but it's rugged, has a long-throwing beam, and the LED is in a PR size base that can be used in other 3 cell lights.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
We seem to have a similar problem with Wal*Mart stores in urban areas (and K-Marts when they were around.) Go to a Wal*Mart or K-Mart in a rural area and it would be a reasonably clean department store. Go into one of the same stores in an urban area and it would look like the store had been looted and the inventory in the store was what the looters didn't want (region doesn't matter, I've been to them all over the country and it all looks the same.) At least the Target stores are just differentiated by neighborhoods.

Spongebob said:
Lets just say our Target stores here suck and leave it at that lol. I do like Target and the ones in the middle TN area where I used to live always had lights in stock.

I will check the link you gave me and also have my brother in law back in TN look at the Target store for the Dorcy lights.
Thanks

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I posted SB is aluminum with a heavy epoxy coating, it is actually a much better built lightand heavier metal than I would have expected for $15.

Latest posts