Amondotech Illuminator 35 Watt HID Searchlight

mdocod

Flashaholic
ordered mine this morning(as well as a Nuwai ALX-253L)- Thankyou all for bringing this to fruition- I'm so excited. This will be my first HID spotlight- and from the sounds of all the work that went into getting it right- this will be a great light to have as a first HID- fits the budget as well... I promise Beamshots compared to my regular thor and other lights as soon as it gets here...

jfong

Newly Enlightened
Did I win? Did I win???

FedEx just dropped of my Illuminator! I'm the first?!?!

=D !!!!

Edit: I guess I'll give you guys the play-by-play.

Amondotech did a great job shipping. The brown shipping box was taped very well. Props for that. =) Inside is the product box. No foam/air-bags needed, it fits pretty snug.

Product box: No ridiculous "change the tire with this light" picture. Only pictures of the product, the amondotech logo, and a beamshot down a street (that looks kinda familiar... was that posted here at CPF?)

Open the box...
A simple half-sheet instructions page, front and back. Styrofoam holds the Illuminator (in a plastic bag) in place. AC adapter and DC (cigarette/car) adapter included.

um... er.... I just picked up the Illuminator, and it turned on by itself... Then I spend two minutes looking for the power switch to turn it off... Where is it??? Its under the handle, where your forefinger would be... Interesting... don't hate it, don't love it... I know I shouldn't be turning this thing on and off frequently, so the switch doesn't need to be in that convenient location... It increases the chances of accidental turn-on/turn-off, I think, but we'll see.

Charge-indicator button and leds work as they are supposed to.

The million-dollar question: how's the beam? Well, its pretty bright out here, but I was able to see the intense hotspot on my wall. Yup, its definitely an HID! My Costco HID is not home right now, so maybe I'll have something for you guys tonight.

Edit 2: Looking at the reflector, there are noticable piths scattered randomly about. They look like it was poked with a needle. =/

Weight/size: well, its heavy for how small it looks, but definitely lighter and smaller than the Costco/HF HID.

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woke up this morning to a box at my front door that read Amondotech on the side!

Man this thing is tiny compared to the costo hid. No regrets here at all, its smaller, lighter, waaay less artifacts. Infact, with the exception of the sorta shadowy area at 12:00 in the beam pattern, there really are no noticeable artifacts. The "shadow" is an unavoidable area where the bulb is mounted, and this does not take away from the beam at all. That was always something that irked me with the costco, it was always like wow its bright but how do I clean up this beam...

Speaking of the beam, while I do love the blue associated with hid units at or above the 5000k mark, this light is just perfect. Blue at startup, which is normal, and when it warms up its just this kick arse beam... In theory that is, its bright and sunny here, but I could see the light on the hill behind my house in direct noon sunlight.

While I loved the fact that the chargers are built into the costco, the size savings on the 3152 make me forget about that altogether...

Just wanted to give my first impressions of this thing...as I'm sure everyone else will.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
Instructions say:
Do not operate your Illuminator while charging from AC or DC power sources.

Shucks, I thought it would be like the Costco HID, where it could operate from DC... I don't remember any discussion in the old thread contrary... There goes my "set-up-the-Costco-HID-and-Illuminator-at-night-and-make-an-arch-out-of-light" idea for a "fancy" event.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
You lucky sob's :) I gotta wait till Friday for mine, and now I gotta listen to ya gloat about it too...:grin2:

Newly Enlightened
jfong said:
Instructions say:

Shucks, I thought it would be like the Costco HID, where it could operate from DC... I don't remember any discussion in the old thread contrary... There goes my "set-up-the-Costco-HID-and-Illuminator-at-night-and-make-an-arch-out-of-light" idea for a "fancy" event.

He does mention it in the old thread... So now you can be the first to mod it so it will run off dc...:lolsign:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stillphoto,

The "shadow" is an unavoidable area where the bulb is mounted, and this does not take away from the beam at all.
I call that the "electrode pie slice" :D since it is caused by the reflection of the electrode at the 6:00 position.

jfong,

That issue was talked about in the interest thread including the reasons why.
It had to do with the internal molding of the body of the light and the cost of changing it. If you search through the other thread you will find it.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that info. I think you just saved me $125, as I was just about to order one. If we meet up some time, remind me to buy you your favorite adult beverage!

I must have missed the entire discussion on this light whereever it started, but the smaller size does make it look very appealing and more usable. Will be interested in hearing other comments about this light; too bad it doesn't have a 12V Charge/Usage outlet like the way many other spotlights do.

jfong said:
Shucks, I thought it would be like the Costco HID, where it could operate from DC...

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
T
too bad it doesn't have a 12V Charge/Usage outlet like the way many other spotlights do.
Well,
duh2.gif

What forum is this? We mod anything and everything. Where's the fun if you don't mod it?

Newly Enlightened
JimH said:
Well,
duh2.gif

What forum is this? We mod anything and everything. Where's the fun if you don't mod it?

Very well said :grin2: I haven't got mine in my greasy little hands yet but I'm already working on that idea....

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhm, I thought I read you could charge/use it but only for 15-30 mins because after that the wires get to hot inside it. What if you were to upgrade the gauge of wire inside?

If this were at a flat $100 shipped I'd be all over it once I have some funds. Hmm just 30 cheaper... Maybe someone will sell theirs when I have the funds... yeah right and I'll win the lotto!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Uhm, I thought I read you could charge/use it but only for 15-30 mins because after that the wires get to hot inside it. What if you were to upgrade the gauge of wire inside?

If this were at a flat $100 shipped I'd be all over it once I have some funds. Hmm just 30 cheaper... Maybe someone will sell theirs when I have the funds... yeah right and I'll win the lotto!

IsaacHayes,

You remember well as usual :thumbsup: . The instruction sheet says DO NOT, so that if people do something that is not recomended or do it for 40 or 50 minutes and ruin the light, neither the manufacturer nor Amondotech can be held liable warranty wise.

Anybody that wants to search the old thread will find out exactly how long it can be used (according to the manufacturer), what the problems are, and therefore what would need to be done to modify the light. :D

Take Care,

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered mine yesterday. Now, when does the 10-12ah nimh pack come out for it? ;) We need like a huge groupbuy for assembled nimh packs for all our 12v sla spotlights.

Delvance

Enlightened
:awman: people have got theirs already ? Goodstuff! And by the sounds of it, it seems this is going to be one crazy thrower for the size, just my kind of light. I've already confirmed my order and am waiting for Wayne to reply with paypal addy. Then the long international wait :(

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
lasercrazy said:
Ordered mine yesterday. Now, when does the 10-12ah nimh pack come out for it? ;) We need like a huge groupbuy for assembled nimh packs for all our 12v sla spotlights.

I actually talked to Wayne about that and he said he would be interested in having some made if there is enough interest.

Take Care,