123 Battery Shoot Out

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nighthawk,

I checked my test data and I have tested some Panasonic cells. Unfortunately the data is corrupt. It looks like I had a bad connection during parts of the tests.

I will have to find some additional cells to test before I can present the results.

Tom

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtivat said:
I got them from AmondoTech but I meant the New Titanium. The reason I ask is b/c I received some of the 123's that are wrapped together and they state "PTC protection" and the cells that came individually do not say that on them.

jtivat,

I believe your single cells are the old ones. I have both. All of the new Titanium CR123A batteries look exactly the same with the only difference being the shrink wrap on the 2 and 3 cell sets. The two other differences between the old and new Titanium's are the color and the lettering for CR123A LITHIUM. The old batteries were a darker orange and the lettering is italic. If you do have the olds ones, call Wayne and tell him you got some old ones. You will probably have to wait till Monday.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like those Golston's aren't very good with currents above .28 amps, but I'll probably order some with my VB-16 light anyway because that's the only brand the seller has and I can get them for $.90 each with little or no added shipping and I don't have any here at home. I'll order some better ones later when I order something else from a different seller.

Thanks for the charts, they are very helpful in determining which batteries to buy. I have some other low current multi 5mm LED lights and 1w Lux lights that can make better use of the Golstons, but the Golstons should get me started with the VB-16.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to spend $0.90 for Golstons, wouldn't you be better off spending $1 for Battery Station or Titanium cells that can take more than 0.28 amps of current draw.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson said:
If you're going to spend $0.90 for Golstons, wouldn't you be better off spending $1 for Battery Station or Titanium cells that can take more than 0.28 amps of current draw.

I probably would be better off, and I'll likely get some eventually, but I'd also probably have to add $5 or $6 shipping with the Battery Station or Titanium CR123. I could get 10 Golsten's for $9 with the flashlights for probably no added shipping, so it's probably a tolerable way to get started until I have something else to order from Battery Station or a Titanium dealer to share the shipping fee. If I don't like the Golstens, I won't order them again. I'd definately prefer a better performing brand and will eventually have some.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome.

From personal experience though, I've always ended up spending even more when I try to save on cheap and unreliable stuff because I will get so frustrated I will either throw them away or refuse to use them altogether so I will eventually buy the good stuff anyway thus doubling my cost.

IMHO, you will end up spending less in the long run.

Wow, that was a long sentence.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an amateur graph of four different cells I ran though my CBA...Not Silverfox quality, but may be useful to some.

comparison1.jpg

--dan

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dano.

BTW, anyone ever compare the Streamlight 'yellow jacket" batteries to the newer, "silver jacket" batteries? I'm wondering if it was just a cosmetic change, or if they changed chemistries as well. I don't think I've seen any graphs of the newer, silver jacket versions yet.

Oh, is Nightops selling batteries now? I haven't seen a source for them. Are they available yet, and if so, where?

They look suspiciously like the Streamlight batteries in terms of performance which is my battery of choice, so if I could get the same performance battery a bit cheaper....

Thanks,

-john

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano said:
Here's an amateur graph of four different cells I ran though my CBA...Not Silverfox quality, but may be useful to some.

comparison1.jpg

--dan

Those streamlight yellow and Night Ops cells look pretty impressive.

BTW, your graphs both say li-ion.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The silver SL and Yellow SL cells are the same.

The "Li-Ion" is a default from the CBA software that isn't user changable.

-dan

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Streamlight, Ray-O-Vac, Battery Station, and Titanium CR123s (and some Duracells). So far, the Streamlight and Ray-O-Vacs have been great. I haven't tried the BS or Titanium ones yet. I'll likely use the Titaniums next since they have a faster self-discharge rate of 2% vs. 0.5% for the other brands. From the graphs, Streamlight, Ray-O-Vac, and Sanyo were at or near the top in all tests...and those happen to be my batteries of choice...great info, thanks Silverfox!
Anyone know what the self-discharge rate of the BS 123s are? I keep some batteries for emergency kits and the Titaniums will likely not be going in those with a 4x faster self-discharge. If the BS 123s have a lower self-discharge rate, I'll get those over the Titaniums since they're similar in performance but will last longer in storage.
I can get Sanyos for $1.67 each. Anyone know a cheaper place?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I recently got a Surefire M4, and once the supplied SF lithiums had run down, I put in my usual white Panasonics, and the light just wouldn't run well with them, it seems the Panasonics just can't handle the drain.

I have some Battery Statioins 123s, and some Surefire 123s, I'm not sure which batteries have the edge, but Lighthound's pricing for the Surefires has increased since Igot my last order, they are now around twice the price of the Battery Station cells.

In my other SF lights, it's not so critical what cells I use, but they do get warm in a 3 cell light with 200 lumen lamp (Z3 or M3).

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JSR,

I am confused... Where did you get the idea that some brands of lithium primary cells have higher self discharge rates than others?

Tom

VWTim

Enlightened
I just ran across some Everlast brand 123's at the local Grocery outlet. The batteries are made by continental7 and have the similar green lower shrink and hex cut top cover like the SF's. They're single card packed and marketed towards camera. For $.99 each and local to boot. Any interetst in testing one or a couple? I'll ship them to you if so.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can give you some ilumicell batteries if you wanna test them. PM me if you're interested.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello silverfox

how long has it been since you did you discharge tests on your surfire and batterystation cr123a as there has been a lot of reports of faulty cells.

just my luck i ordered 20x batterystation cr123a before i read about the problems on cpf.

I think a lot of people have had their cofindence shaked in linthium cells.

I have heard of problems with AA cells from batterystation on cpf.

what i am saying is that we need a hero to step up to the breach and put our minds at ease.

somone who has had a lot of experience in testing cells.

do you know of anybody that might fit that description. :devil:

regards.