The hedgehog - quad luxeon camping lantern

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, for my latest creation....

BEHOLD!

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

(showing the carrying handle)

This is a fully adjustable, quad-luxeon camping lantern. Output can be adjusted from a dull glow to spot-inducing brightness, or anything inbetween.
It runs off 6-D batteries.

It is constructed from aluminium. The lower body is a 4.5" piece of 4" aluminium square tube, 1/8" thick. The top part of the body is a giant heat sink to keep the luxeons cool. It's probably massive overkill (more info about the heatsink below) - but IMO, you can never keep your luxeons too cool.

The luxeon stars sit on a pedistal that's attached to the bottom side of the heat sink. The pedistal is a 1" square piece of aluminium bar stock, 2.5" long. Here's a closeup of the luxeons:
l3.jpg

There are two strings in parallel of two luxeons in series (series-parallel setup).

Here's where this thing gets its name - the heat sink:

l4.jpg

It is a round pin-fin design, which works really well for any direction airflow, or still air. It has 48 pins, in a 7x7 grid - there is no pin in the centermost spot due to the pedistal attaching to the plate at that point on the underside

The heat sink starts out with a base plate of 3/8" aluminium, 4" square. Into that, I drilled 48 holes and tapped all of them. The pins are 1/4" aluminium, 2.25" long. They are threaded for 3/8" and screwed tightly into the base plate using some thermal compound on the threads to aid heat transfer. Overall, it took me about 12 hours of drilling, tapping, cutting, and threading to get this built.

The heat sink performs very well. I measured 1.5C/W in still air, 0.5C/W with a weak 80mm fan (~20cfm) and 0.3C/W with a huge 5" 135CFM fan. Given the paltry 7W (max) of heat this thing needs to dissipate, these luxeons will stay cool as a cucumber.

Here's the underside with the bottom cover removed.
l5.jpg

There's an internal bulkhead that separates the battery compartment from the electronics. The 6D cells sit in a 2x3 battery holder. Pay no attention to the mix of Ray-O-Vac alkalines (blue/silver) and Sanyo NiCD cells (green) - I couldn't dig up 6 identical D cells...

l6.jpg

You can't really see it, but the regulator circuit is stuffed in here. I'm using an LDO op-amp controlled linear regulator. Using the pot, the total current can be adjusted from 20mA up to over 1A. The current is split between the two luxeon series strings, so each luxeon gets from 10mA-500mA.

Some "beamshots" (not much of a beam since this is an area light)

20mA (lowest setting)
l7.jpg

200mA
l8.jpg

500mA
l9.jpg

800mA
l10.jpg

1A+ (highest setting)
l11.jpg

Approx. REGULATED runtimes:
Code:
20mA	900 hrs (37.5 days)
100mA	150 hrs (6.25 days)
200mA	 70 hrs (2.9 days)
300mA	 45 hrs	(1.9 days)
400mA	 30 hrs (1.2 days)
500mA	 21 hrs
600mA	 15 hrs
700mA	 12 hrs
800mA	  9 hrs
900mA	  8 hrs
1000mA	  6 hrs

The 20mA level is perfectly acceptable for reading or finding your way around in the dark - and you get nearly 40 days of continuous light!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is awesome.

Dropping from 1000mA to 500mA increases the run-time by a factor of 3.5. Is that due to the cells loading down at 1A and becoming inefficient?

Greg

NickBose

Enlightened
Holy cow! I wish there was something like this in the store.
Are those spikes the only solution for heat dissipation? They're a bit bulky to appear on a commercial product.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ist an increddible looking monster.. one thing tho...

Shouldn't it be nice to make some sort of milk-glass around the led's.. Otherwise sitting around this lamp will not be very comfortable with so much light comming from those tiny led-junctions, even at low power !!

And.. yes, the heatsink is massive overkill: That is one of the many good things on this light !

Ra.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice!

I was thinking of making something similar to this... a little smaller.... However, I would want it to be waterproof and I would use like 8 LED's :D and diffuse the light...

very inspiring!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh.. I forgot..

If you are a romantic you can use wharm white luxeons and even electronicly introduce some flikkering !?!

its just brainstorming about this....

Ra.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
Boy that's alot of work :ohgeez: 48 hand drilled and tapped holes and 48 hand cut and threaded rods ! This could be a shop class project for a whole semester :lolsign:

It certainly is unique :grin2:

KingSmono

Enlightened
Awesome looking lantern!! Nice job.

-Allen

Ra said:
Shouldn't it be nice to make some sort of milk-glass around the led's.. Otherwise sitting around this lamp will not be very comfortable with so much light comming from those tiny led-junctions, even at low power !!

No more uncomfortable than one of those Coleman Gas Lanterns... those suckers leave spots in your eyes for days!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next project... the same thing in a waterproof sphere and you can call it the Sea Urchin!!!

LOL

Love it though, great job!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
KingSmono said:
No more uncomfortable than one of those Coleman Gas Lanterns... those suckers leave spots in your eyes for days!

Beleve me... Those Colemans are much nicer to your eyes than this luxeon lantern: Lower colortemperature and much lower surface brightness !!

So if Colemans hurt your eyes like you said, imagine what the above can do..

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Ra said:
And.. yes, the heatsink is massive overkill: That is one of the many good things on this light !

Ra.

evan probably made the heat sink to prevent people from sitting on it...:laughing:

This is awesome!, now theres a true hurricane lantern.:grin2:
:goodjob: Whens the date for production?:rock:

Is that acrylic or plexiglass? you could try and sand the surface so the light evens out, then hang it on a tree and your camp would be bright as day...:naughty:
suggestions: try making hinged covers with reflective bottom sides so you have area lighting when hung up on a post.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
greg_in_canada said:
That is awesome.

Dropping from 1000mA to 500mA increases the run-time by a factor of 3.5. Is that due to the cells loading down at 1A and becoming inefficient?

Greg

Isn't the heat load 14 watts? I.E. 3.5V x 1.0A x 4 Luxeons. Or is the 1A the battery draw and the current per LED is 500mA?

1) Yes - alkaline cells aren't able to deliver their full capacity at high loads - those calculations are based on using alkalines. When using rechargables, the runtime relationship is almost perfectly linear with respect to current draw

2) the 1A is split between two strings of two in series, so each LED only gets 500mA - so the heat load is around 6.5W or so.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
NickBose said:
Holy cow! I wish there was something like this in the store.
Are those spikes the only solution for heat dissipation? They're a bit bulky to appear on a commercial product.

This actually started out with me wanting to build a massive round pin-fin heat sink just to see how good of a sink I could build, then I decided I'd just use it on this lantern project I've been thinking of since I'd have no other use for it afterwords.

The amount of power dissipation could probably be handled with a flat plate with short (1/2") fins. So this is really unnecessary from the "what's really needed" department.

I like how this thing looks like a prop from an old sci-fi movie :cool:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra said:
Ist an increddible looking monster.. one thing tho...

Ra.

The clear parts are 1/8" acrylic - I'm planning on frosting the inside (light sanding, perhaps) when I get around to it, or if it bugs me too much - I didn't do this right away since I wanted to make sure the lantern was going to be bright enough for general use - no worries there.