130w bulbs for aux lights

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of one of those XL racer pods, you could get two pair of diode dynamica SS3 MAX pods, one set with spot optics, one set with the driving beam pattern, and have significantly more light down the road, and not just in a 1.5* cone/spot... the useability of something like that would be... extremely limited in comparison to other options, especially with the pricepoint being able to net you multiple other lamps to mix/match for your needs. Same color temp issues though, 5700+k and mid/high 60s for CRI.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
For the price of one of those XL racer pods, you could get two pair of diode dynamica SS3 MAX pods, one set with spot optics, one set with the driving beam pattern, and have significantly more light down the road, and not just in a 1.5* cone/spot... the useability of something like that would be... extremely limited in comparison to other options, especially with the pricepoint being able to net you multiple other lamps to mix/match for your needs. Same color temp issues though, 5700+k and mid/high 60s for CRI.
I'm not spending my money, remember. His money.
And he'd get the bragging rights of having a toggle on his dash labeled "lasers".
This is the one I've seen demo'd. Hybrid. Along with a couple of their other lights. They lit up the side of a mountain one time, across a lake. It was like daytime.

toledoUPSguy

Newly Enlightened
First of all I understand the OPs reluctance to LED lights if we are talking about cheap amazon/fleabay lights. It has already been mentioned but a great solution is Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro selective yellow lights which use a 4000k emitter and swap the yellow lens for the clear one. It has also been mentioned to check out the great SAE driving and SAE fog light threads on the tacoma world forum.

I don't know how the headlights of the OPs explorer are but the 2015+ f150 headlights rate terrible according to some insurance study that I'm sure Virgil can link to. Anyway here a a few pictures of my DD max yellow fogs and DD max driving lights, both by themselves and combined with the factory LED headlights of my 2020 f150 platinum.

Attachments

• fog and driving.jpg
    fog and driving.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 134
  • drivingonly.jpg
    drivingonly.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 100
  • f150lowbeam.jpg
    f150lowbeam.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 107
  • f150highbeam.jpg
    f150highbeam.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 100
  • highanddrving.jpg
    highanddrving.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 100

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
True, but groups of pictures like this can give good comparative information on where (near, far...) the light is going and the general shape (wide, narrow...) of the beam.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tacomaworld J581 driving light thread is excellent as the thread author has tested a series of different lamps, all under the same conditions, with the same power source, light meter, distance from his garage door, etc. Illustrates the differences between several companies driving light beam patterns very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

toledoUPSguy

Newly Enlightened
Pictures are fun to look at but essentially are just fun to look at.
Beam isoplots would tell us so much more than a photo ever could.
Are these what you are talking about?

If so I have no doubt that you as someone who has a strong knowledge of lighting can look at that and see what you need to know. Me, not so much, I see a foreign language that I do not understand. But if I look at 3 pictures that show low, high and driving and high all from the same position I think (but will admit I can be wrong) exactly what the driving lights add to the overall lighting.