Introducing “UHS” a K2, LUXI, LUXIII & LUXV M@G D Heat Sink!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is to introduce these new heat sinks and provide a place for questions and feedback. The sales thread is posted HERE in the B/S/T forum.

It's my pleasure to introduce the UHS (Universal Heat Sink). The UHS is a single LED emitter heat sink solution for D-cell Maglites. It is similar in many ways to previous single emitter heat sinks except this one allows for the easy centering of all Luxeon slug's sizes and shapes as well as the new K2 hex shaped slug!

The UHS was born because up to now most of the available heat sinks were designed with one slug size and shape in mind. I was frustrated with having to modify (hack up) other offerings to get different emitters to fit and the new K2 just bolstered that situation.

With the release of the new K2 a new heat sink had to be made.

Originally the UHS was designed with just the K2 in mind. The diameter of the slug centering pocket is perfect for the K2. It is only slightly larger than that of the Luxeon family slugs. Hence the ability to use for all the different LEDs. The round pocket allows the LEDs slug to center in the heat sink and the thermal epoxy such as Arctic Alumina Ceramique a place to grab on to. It makes it much less difficult to center the LED.

The diameter of the "island" is a perfect fit for the inside diameter of stock Maglite reflector openings, as such will also work with the aluminum versions of the Mag reflector. However I doubt it'll really be necessary to use an aluminum reflector with a single LED.

As you can see the back side of the HS has a pocket for driver potting.

These heat sinks are made right here in the U.S. in a family run CNC machine shop.

Here is a picture of the D-cell size UHS's or UHS-D's.

sm_DSC00254.jpg

MM

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing "UHS" a K2, LUXI, LUXIII & LUXV M@G Heat Sink!

:goodjob: Great MM:twothumbs

When do you create your own light?

Best regards

____
Tom

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmacclel
Can you take a close-up picture to where the LED mounts. I don't understand how one pocket will fit the round slug and new hex slug of the K2's. Their 2 different diameters, As I remember the round slug LED's have a .200 diameter metal slug and the K2's are much larger.

Mac

Mac,

As stated above the diameter was made with the K2 in mind. Since the K2 is larger than the other slugs it will fit it and the others. The diameter of the other slugs is only slightly smaller and has minimal movement in the pocket.

MM

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice! They should be perfect to make a single K2 stunner. :thumbsup:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

good job! Only thing I can see is since it doesn't have a raised lip and instead a depression, you can't check to see if the luxeon is centered perfectly by looking at the raised "lip", as I've centered all my luxeons like that even though the HS should do it for me. Maybe that little adjustment isn't needed though, and I'm just being too retenative. I'm not sure where the threashold is for the beam to look un-centered in the reflector... Still one should be able to slide the emitter up and down, and left and right and feel for the center between those two points and get close enough.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gnufsh: you'd have to grind the top totally flat.... BTW the cree XR-E doesn't focus well in a mag reflector... It has a tiny spot but the intensity is weaker than a luxeon3.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the distance between hole center? Thinking I might use this with a kiu socket kit for bi-pin bulbs. Thanks Jim

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
jimjones3630 said:
What is the distance between hole center? Thinking I might use this with a kiu socket kit for bi-pin bulbs. Thanks Jim

Huh? Please elaborate.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I didn't explain well. The distance between the two holes drilled from top to bottom of the sink may or may not align with kiu's bi-pin socket kit offered on another thread here.

That bi-pin socket needs a heat sink or original m@gd switch mod to anchor onto. So what is the distance between the two holes center to center. Thanks Jim

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
jimjones3630 said:
Sorry I didn't explain well. The distance between the two holes drilled from top to bottom of the sink may or may not align with kiu's bi-pin socket kit offered on another thread here.

That bi-pin socket needs a heat sink or original m@gd switch mod to anchor onto. So what is the distance between the two holes center to center. Thanks Jim

That's OK. I just couldn't understand how you'd use it with the KIU socket.

The distance between centers is .440"

MM