$150 to spend on the best, useful light?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo....people offering suggestions for lights. I'm giving my opinion. Making comparisions. But if there's a problem, then I'll happily edit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No trouble from me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
If I understand your post, "Proper size' (>2D) sized preferably" to mean at least 2d cells or bigger,
I would get the Elektrolumen's Tri-Star for sure!
I don't know why people are talking about much smaller lights (2-3 lith's 123...) flashaholics are so obsessional...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I am quite sure there is something brighter now...

But if 3D turns you on, I have an older (jeez! seems a lot longer than just since late March!!!) Elektrolumens Starlux 3D light. It has a 1W LS and uses an optic to make a nice wide flood of pretty bright but pretty blueish light.

Actually, by itself it doesn't look so blue. But shine my SNII up next to it and it looks positively BLUE! It uses as mentioned D cells and should have a pretty good runtime.

Probably nowhere near as bright as you want, but I'm sure Wayne has something right now that would do.

My SNII from Mr. Bulk is my brightest LED light by FAR! It is a 5W and is slightly greenish (but was sold to me as such - I knew about the green). It suffers as all M*g stuff does of not opening up to a really wide flood. But it spills a big bad-a$$ corona, and so lights up a room well.

Negative factor is it uses 123A Lithium batts. They can be had 12 for $15 from Surefire.com, but are cost prohibative if bought locally!

If you like something bright and CHEAP...

Take a 2C M*glite. Use plastic pipe or rubber hose to allow 3 123A batts to be in the light. Get yourself some M*g Whitestar 5 cell Krypton bulbs (or Radio Shack KPR112). And DO NOT LOOK AT IT when you hit the button! Add some Writeright PDA film (for a B&W pda) for a VERY nice smooth beam!

Alternately (and cheaper yet!) run a 3D M*g with 4C and use KPR103 bulb (you may need to bleed a bit from the Cs first...) and that is IMHO a bright cheap mod.

Let's keep it LIGHT! and be NICE to one another, OK?