The MaxBlaster vs. The Torch

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm starting this thread after coining this name (sorry if someone else has already used "The MaxBlaster" for another light) to post about a 2D Maglite mod that I bought from Mad Maxabeam, after making sure it was ok with him. I have no interest or relationship with him other than buying some of his custom made lights, and enjoying our PM's back and forth.

For a while, I was unable to get one of Mac's Torches after seeing the much publicized YouTube video, so I got a 2D model from Mad Maxabeam. Both lights used the Osram 64623 100W bulb and 14.4 v NiMH battery (12 cell) packs. The USL group buy project is another variation on the theme, but uses a different bulb and other components.

I was very happy with Mad's light, until I got one of Mac's Torches. I then noticed Mac's was shorter and brighter, as well as putting out more heat. I did find that I needed two hands to push Mac's tailcap button, but otherwise it just outperformed Mad's. I think it must be due to the lower resistance in how Mac made his, including the tailcap switch design...so BIG Prop's to Mac !

max5.jpg

Quite frankly, my Mad 2D model was becoming a shelf duster....until he came up with a new idea in response to my PM's. Today I got a new design from MadMax, where the key is having added a 13th battery. This 13th cell brings the pack voltage up to 15.6V....and what a difference that extra battery makes !!!

max1.jpg

I don't yet have an easy way to do comparison beam shots for such power lights, but you can be sure that the new "MaxBlaster" 15.6V 2D light is significantly brighter and easily puts out more heat than either of the two previously discussed lights (& verified with my own fancy fireplace newspaper test).

There are pro's and con's with both lights, as is usually the case with anything custom built. Mac's Torch is just over an inch shorter, and has a silky smooth operating tailcap button. Mad's MaxBlaster has the new higher voltage pack (brighter & more heat output), and by keeping the stock side button, it allows easy one hand operation which I prefer.

max4.jpg

The craftsmanship of both lights is superb....and use the same bulb and reflector. Anyone should be totally thrilled to get either one of these lights....but Mad has more than made up for the lower resistance that Mac achieved, by simply adding more power.

max2.jpg

He obviously added the extra battery at the tailcap end to keep the 2D size, and now includes the spring as a part of the new battery pack. Quite ingenious IMHO, and it fits easily and perfectly in the same light with the normal tailcap spring removed. (The above 13.2V pack was also from MadMax to be used with the Osram 64625 or 62138 100W bulbs which reportedly have a nicer color and less artifacts...and which I plan on using with a new 3" reflector head coming soon.)

max3.jpg

Hot off the charger, this new 13 cell battery pack was about 19.2V (!!!), but should be rested for 1-2 hours until the voltage is in the 18.4-18.5V range to avoid flashing the bulb. The previous MadMax & Torch 14.4V battery packs end up at about 15.9-16.2V after sitting a few hours...so you can see the advantage of The MaxBlaster.

I am intentionally avoiding any discussion of the pricing and availability of both lights, but at my last set of transactions, Mad's was a bit cheaper and more available. Mad has been wonderful and responsive to my PM's...so I'll leave that step up to you all.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
hmmm which light shall I start the fire with today...

Great lights & really like the idea of the battery pack with spring mounted. I think that whatever Mad Maxabeam lacks in custom lathe worked mods he more than makes up for with his excellent battery packs.

plasmaman

Enlightened
At Lux's sensible prompt I may need to explain that the smiley in my first post is because I just received mine from MM, and its a cracker, and the deleted post was a PM to Lux that I managed to post on the board by mistake - way too early in the morning!!
Not sure if MM is making these available generally - but now he may have to!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss my "Torch" and this looks to be a good replacement if I decide to go that route. Have you compared runtimes on the two lights? I don't think my torch could quite get to 10min.....but it didn't matter because the fire was started in about 20sec. :lolsign:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought one of Mac's Torches. A plain, black unfluted sleeper. The Star Wars look of a fluted light is cool, but I like to scare people with my "stock" 2D Mag.

The Torch is "Holy Mother of Pearl" bright, and as you say Lux the quality is top notch. Everything on it looks like a pro made it. How nice it is to have a nice threaded tail on a Mag that goes on easily and feels like a bank vault, instead of the way you have to wrestle with a stock Mag tail.

Its up there with my X990 in terms of the goofy-giggle reaction I have when I hit the go button.

cheers

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
I also received a torch recently but have had no luck starting a fire with newspaper. Am I using too thick paper? Am I crumpling the paper too tightly? The best I manage to get is smoke and ash.:mad: Anyone have any tips to help me fire my interest.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive received a few of Mad's battery packs (12aa-3d) and I must say that i really really like the workmanship. I may eventually have to pick up a Torch as well.

Shane

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
citizenal said:
I also received a torch recently but have had no luck starting a fire with newspaper. Am I using too thick paper? Am I crumpling the paper too tightly? The best I manage to get is smoke and ash.:mad: Anyone have any tips to help me fire my interest.
Make sure your 14.4V battery pack is freshly charged, and measure voltage to make sure it is getting a full charge...I think hot off the charger it should be 17.6 - 17.9V After a couple hours it will drop down to 15.95 - 16.15V...but that should still be fine.

Then it's best to use dry newspaper (or the shinier paper from the Newspaper advertisements) that has a lot of darker ink colors which absorb the infrared better. Get your light up close to the paper...better heat transfer.

This new MaxBlaster is flaming in less than 1 second with the increased voltage. I literally cannot count "one thousand and one" before it's flaming....which is also an important caution in not being stupid with these.

Hallis said:
Ive received a few of Mad's battery packs (12aa-3d) and I must say that i really really like the workmanship. I may eventually have to pick up a Torch as well.

Shane
Also, remember that this larger 15.6V MaxBlaster battery pack will not fit in the Torch, only in Mad Maxabeam's longer light.

Last edited:

Carpenter

Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
This new MaxBlaster is flaming in less than 1 second with the increased voltage. I literally cannot count "one thousand and one" before it's flaming....which is also an important caution in not being stupid with these.

When I received my 623 it came with a piece of paper. On there MM states in bold print.

Battery made by stored in light if:

Tail Cap is loosened & The light is kept a safe distance from ignition sources.

I do both. These lights are impressive, but like fire they need to be respected.

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
Humm.. I don't have any device to measure voltage... I will have to freshly charge the pack and try it hot off the charger. Thanks for the info.
Al
Playing with the torch, I now want something that is twice as bright as it. :laughing:

LuxLuthor said:
Make sure your 14.4V battery pack is freshly charged, and measure voltage to make sure it is getting a full charge...I think hot off the charger it should be 17.6 - 17.9V After a couple hours it will drop down to 15.95 - 16.15V...but that should still be fine.

Then it's best to use dry newspaper (or the shinier paper from the Newspaper advertisements) that has a lot of darker ink colors which absorb the infrared better. Get your light up close to the paper...better heat transfer.

Also, remember that this larger 15.6V MaxBlaster battery pack will not fit in the Torch, only in Mad Maxabeam's longer light.

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
I believe that using the pack hot off the charger will result in an "instaflash", will it not? On my Mad Maxabeam light, the batteries specifically state that you must rest the pack for 2 hours after coming off of the charger.
Tim

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
My battery uses the 14.4 while yours uses the 15.6. I do not think I have a risk of instaflashing with the same bulb as you do.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Bullzaye said:
I believe that using the pack hot off the charger will result in an "instaflash", will it not? On my Mad Maxabeam light, the batteries specifically state that you must rest the pack for 2 hours after coming off of the charger.
Tim

The 64623 bulb get instaflashed somwhere around 18.8-19.1 V, so the 14.4V does not get up that high, but the new 15.6V pack does get above that fresh off charger...so you must rest this new version. And, get a DMM..they are only $20 at Radio Shack for a yellow cheap version.

Also remember that unlike Li-Ion, NiMH batteries have a constant drain even if sitting unused....which is why the new Sanyo NiMH Eneloop battery is all the rage...they found a way to have it keep it's charge for a long time.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'll move my 3x5 (13 cell) pack from my 3D Mag623 into my 2D tri-bore after reconfiging it to 3x4+1.
Then I can build a 16 cell (3x5+1) Elite1500 pack and put it in the 3D for a Mag458. That's around 180 watts.
Ooooooo. And to think, that I have everything except the new Elite1500s and some shrink.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
willrx said:
Where can one of these be bought?

I don't believe that Mac is taking any more orders for the Torch. See this thread or shoot him a private message.

As for Mad's light, that thread is closed too. See here .

Fear not, though, as there will no doubt be similar (or greater) creations from these and other mad scientists in the future.

cheers

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
I don't believe that Mac is taking any more orders for the Torch. See this thread or shoot him a private message.

As for Mad's light, that thread is closed too. See here .

Fear not, though, as there will no doubt be similar (or greater) creations from these and other mad scientists in the future.

cheers

Both of them still have a trickle flow production of them....with Mad probably doing a few more.

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a mad max flashlight, he said he had a couple coming in next week:rock: Also ordered another torch battery.

LowTEC

Enlightened
Thanx LuxLuthor for the review. I originally ordered a 2D Mag623 from Mad Maxabeam, but regretfully had to withdraw from the purchase. Ed has been extremely helpful on answering all my question and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from Ed once I have the money ready next month