The MaxBlaster vs. The Torch

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Eventually when it warms up a bit, I'll try to take some beam shots. I'm also waiting to try out the upcoming 3" heads from FM and Delghi, but have heard from bwaites that the 64625 bulb in a 13.2V will be a better looking light. Luckily with Mad's 2D, I can put back the old tailcap spring, and use the 13.2 battery pack after changing the bulb.

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
Instaflash? I have 2 spare 64623 bulbs so I'm not worried about it. I've lit my Mag623 by MM right off the charger and it REALLY starts newspaper fires quickly...but no instaflash. I'll measure voltage of my 15.6V battery next time I take it off the charger to see what it is. BTW, my light is the 3D version, tri-bored of course.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
hawkz said:
Instaflash? I have 2 spare 64623 bulbs so I'm not worried about it. I've lit my Mag623 by MM right off the charger and it REALLY starts newspaper fires quickly...but no instaflash. I'll measure voltage of my 15.6V battery next time I take it off the charger to see what it is. BTW, my light is the 3D version, tri-bored of course.

OK, that's good to know with your 15.6V pack not instaflashing the 323. I was just going off what Ed told me.

molite

Newly Enlightened
jimjones3630 said:
Hi all,

MM 15.6v Pak looks like would be good modding project. It will fix in stock M@g 2D?

You need to tri-bore your mag for these to fit. The 15.6v pack is built from 13 2/3A Batteries. It's really a 12 by pack with the #13 in the spring. Most people get the loose cells or soldered sticks from http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ . They list the demensions on their site.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
hawkz said:

Are your cells intelect 1400 mAh or the elite 1500 mAh, You should be able to tell buy the Mah rating of your 3D pack.
The 1500 deliver more oomph under load, so that may be why you are not instaflashing, also the 3D has a touch more resistance due to the tailcap connection between the 2D and 3D pack ( or so I hear of Ed.

Lux, it seems great minds think alike, when I was Pm ing Ed to order a 2D when they first came out, he offered me the 3D just before it was anounced for sale here on CPF, I didn't want a 3D, well I did, but I wanted the smaller 2D format and 15.6V, so I asked him if there was any room in the 2D's tailcap to fit in the extra cell that he had in the 3D's.

A couple of failed attemts with tailcap modifications andf look what he has produced.

Thanks for the Pics, they look awsome, I'm just gutted I have to wait another week untill I see mine. :D

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
Raoul_Duke, my pack is 1400 mAh Intellect batteries.

I measured the voltages today. They've been left in the car for a week and measured at 16V (actually 15.97). I used the smart charger and 20 mins later they were hot off the charger at 17.5V. I guess that's why the 64623 hasn't been instaflashing. Should they be at a much higher voltage off the charger?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Raoul_Duke said:
Are your cells intelect 1400 mAh or the elite 1500 mAh, You should be able to tell buy the Mah rating of your 3D pack.
The 1500 deliver more oomph under load, so that may be why you are not instaflashing, also the 3D has a touch more resistance due to the tailcap connection between the 2D and 3D pack ( or so I hear of Ed.

Lux, it seems great minds think alike, when I was Pm ing Ed to order a 2D when they first came out, he offered me the 3D just before it was anounced for sale here on CPF, I didn't want a 3D, well I did, but I wanted the smaller 2D format and 15.6V, so I asked him if there was any room in the 2D's tailcap to fit in the extra cell that he had in the 3D's.

A couple of failed attemts with tailcap modifications andf look what he has produced.

Thanks for the Pics, they look awsome, I'm just gutted I have to wait another week untill I see mine. :D

Good things are worth waiting for. He did an awsome job fitting these into a pack with the spring. Very clever.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
hawkz said:
Raoul_Duke, my pack is 1400 mAh Intellect batteries.

I measured the voltages today. They've been left in the car for a week and measured at 16V (actually 15.97). I used the smart charger and 20 mins later they were hot off the charger at 17.5V. I guess that's why the 64623 hasn't been instaflashing. Should they be at a much higher voltage off the charger?

I'm only going off what I have heard from M.M., and he said that that 13 elite cells come of the charger at ~19V~ and to wait for an hour or so to take it to below 18.5 volt ( although I think thats right on the limit of the lamp)
I dont think yours should be any higher off the charge, but I dont actualy know that for sure, its just that Elite cells seem to be slightly more off the charger than the intelect cells.

I dont like the sound of instaflash to be honest, and when I was discussing this with Ed when the 3D's wern't out, he had tested the lamp with 14 intelect cells and thats when instaflash became a risk. So I was happy with going for a 13 cell 623, but then he switched cells to the elite's, an then 13 cells became a instaflash risk, but there was a little more capacity, and the cells apparently deliver more light.

But I dont think there is a lot in it, 1400 vs 1500Mah only equates to a few more seconds with the amount of current this lamp consumes.

The 15.6 volt pack is about 400 lumens more than the 14.4, ( but it think thats bulb lumens) I dont even have a light that 400 lumens ( well maybee the P91 is 400 bulb lumens, but thats my absolute brightest lamp) so It amuses me that I'm now concerned over picking a light that might instaflash if I forget to rest it, or a relible light that is "under performing" :D

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just tested my new 13 cell pack from MadMaxabeam, and it is 19.41 hot off the charger (10 seconds), and about 17.2 about 90 mins later.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI. I tried the 13.2 volts 1400mah pack (off the charge and let it sit overnight) in the Torch and it still starting the fire fine. :xyxgun:

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I started my 2D 15.6 pack after 2 hours and ~POOF~

Woops. Oh well i read the instructions and realised event thought the pack says rest for two hours, the instructions say 2~3 hours

Tried it after 3 hours and 5 minutes and ~POOf~

I wasnt happy :(

Still, I do have two 75 watt lamps left, and had the foresight to order 4 100W 623 lamps at the start, so I still have two left.

I just enjoyed running down the half spent pack for 4 minutes in the garden.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That has not happened to me, and I have been using the 15.6V pack with the 623 bulb quite a few times, including about 5 minutes hot off the charger, when the voltage reads 18.2V. What is your reading of your battery pack hot off charger, and about an hour later?

Next, take a reading with bulb removed, turn on power, and stick probes into KIU bulb socket. (I use a Radio Shack $20 Model 22-810 that has fine tip probes) What reading do you get of voltage delivered to the bulb?

Edit: This was a shocker to me when I compared these lights & FM's 43W Carley bulb with new FiveMega FM3H-2 heads here.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
19.35V hot of the charger as soon as it goes green.

18.96V about ten minutes later.

I flashed the second lamp at about 18.6 volts, and then retested a new lamp at arround 18.35 and that was OK.

with a couple of bits of wire out of the socket i'm getting 18.89V at the terminals after about 20 mins off the charger.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Tried the Westinghouse 4439 75w lamp from M.M. hot of the charger and no probs.

Bright as hell, and sets newspaper alight within a second or so, I have a kiu bezzle on it (somtimes) and with the "teeth" resting on or just off the paper it fired striaght up, pull it back to an inch or more to try again and a smoldering hole quickly appears. This was whilst it was snowing outside BTW. I was too impatient to see if it would ignite at that range over a longer time, so I pushed it pack closer and heard the familiar sound of the flames lighting from the page again :D

Dont try this at home kids, but I lit a cigarette of the 623 last night, gives a whole new meaning to asking "have you got a light."
Couldn't see alot for a short while after lighting it mind you, and that was with my eyes mostly closed trying to judge the gap . Not to sure whats worse for you, the Max Blaster full in the face or cancer sticks.

The 75 lamp is a good way to take the edge of a 15.6 hot of the charger pack if you want the 623 quick. It would only take about 30 second I think, I ran mine for about a minute, and I was down from 19 or so Volts to around 17.5 ish.
Still seemed to be pulling a good 7 + amps at 17.5 volts from memory. Cant remember what the 623 pulls, it read its about 9, but i seem to think it was pulling less when I tested a 1/2 draind pack. Interesting thing is that the amps count down in roughly seconds to 0.1 A as the light runs, you know its not going to last long, but its great fun while its counting down.

I think the 75W lamp is supposed to run for about 15 mins and the 623 for 8.
I'm not sure if I'm even getting that long. I dont even think the readings I have taken calculate out to that long but I haven't done a runtime test yet to confirm.

Anybody know if anything that I could to improve or help the packs performance, I am charging a 0.9A instead of 1.8A on the universal smart charger. The pack says dont charge at more than 2A, but ED suggested to go with .9 for long term reliability. I may have to charge at 1.8A somtimes though, so would it realy hurt the pack too much to risk it? Especially when it said on the pack max 2A. The cells are Elite 1500 BTW.

I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, so for 2 weeks the pack will be sitting idle for two weeks sometimes. I have left it about 80% charged befor I left for a weeks trip.
I have heard of people putting cells in the freezer, but that seems like its asking for trouble to me. I guess it could live in the fridge if that would help.
Also Is it worth running the pack down each time before recharging, or just topping off each time I use it.

I think in the cold weather we are having atm, I could run the torch for the full 8 minutes, but It would be hot, I have done a good 5 minutes, and it was hot, but not impossible to hold, but the warm pack makes me wonder whats happening to the cells. My guess is they wonlt like it, But I dont know a thing about Nimh.

I may just stick to the 75 watt most of the time, Its stupid bright on its own, 2000 lumens apparently, and the extra runtime is nice; But..
Of course, at some point, when you absolutely, positively got to illuminate every mofo in the room, accept no substitute, and move on to the full force of the 623.
The 623 does put out more light, not sure what, I see 4400 lumens but I know thats torch lumens so I was thinking around 2800-3000 lumens ish otf but its hard to compare only having one light, and two types of lamps, eitherway both lamps light up my garden which is big, so neither lamp is a slouch.
Any chance you could do a comparison Lux? I know you have differnt sized packs, but It would be nice to see or hear how each lamp compares in either host with either pack.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, I keep meaning to make a thread for making and selling battery packs that I have started making with my welder....

Beansay

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lux, I'm looking forward to you starting that new thread about your battery packs. I am interested in a pack like those pictured in this thread. I want to build a light with the osram bulbs. Plus, I would like a dedicated 6 cell, shrunk wrapped pack to run the 2D ROP, several really. Just want to do my part in helping offset the cost of that awesome welder you bought. Thanks.