16340 VS. 14500

Capolini

Banned
I noticed that the mAh numbers on these two batteries are not much different. Some of the 16340 batteries were close or equal to the 14500 batteries.

This is my guess! If a 16340[650mah] gave you 30 minutes of run time, a 14500 w/ 750mah might get you 35/37 minutes at the most?

Would you agree that there is not much of a run time difference b/w these Two types of batteries?

Reason being there is a "AA" extender for the V11Rvn. I am not sure it would be worth it for me unless the run time difference was significant[ from 30 min. to 45 min.]which I doubt very much!

TIME IS YOURS!

:) :) :)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they're close enough to not matter. One light will be thicker. The other will be longer. That's really the difference. I think the quality of 14500 cells is better though

Capolini

Banned
I think they're close enough to not matter. One light will be thicker. The other will be longer. That's really the difference. I think the quality of 14500 cells is better though

I think you are right!! 14500 are definitely better quality.

I just found a VERY good 14500 cell that HKJ rated very good!! A Keeppower 840mAh Sanyo UR14500P Cell!! It is actually what is says it is as far as the mAh. So as soon as I start a thread about this I find one of the best 14500 and decide to get it w/ the extender!!!! :shakehead

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! I just started using the Keepower 840mAh a week ago too! So far so good. Using it with my Zebralight SC52. :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run naked Sanyo 840s in some of my lights and have a V11R, but haven't felt the need to buy the AA extender, although I'll probably end up with it sometime down the road.

We might get about 30-40% more capacity out of the Sanyo cells, than perhaps the best of the 16340s, but I'm happy running AW/Kinoko IMR 16340s in my V11R/DC25C lights, even though they possess less capacity.

Chris

Capolini

Banned
I run naked Sanyo 840s in some of my lights and have a V11R, but haven't felt the need to buy the AA extender, although I'll probably end up with it sometime down the road.

We might get about 30-40% more capacity out of the Sanyo cells, than perhaps the best of the 16340s, but I'm happy running AW/Kinoko IMR 16340s in my V11R/DC25C lights, even though they possess less capacity.

Chris

Thanks,glad to hear that the Sanyo 14500 gets 30-40% more capacity. I also have the IMR 16340 Kinoko. I use it in my S10,,,it works well.

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of Orbtronics. I have them in every size available for my lights that don't require high drain cells.

Capolini

Banned
I'm a big fan of Orbtronics. I have them in every size available for my lights that don't require high drain cells.

I like Orbtronics also. I have 17 month old Orbtronics in my now,,TK75vn KT and it still gets great run time. I also have them in my TK35 and TN12!

With that said this Keeppower 14500 Sanyo[which Orbtronic uses Keeppower for there 18650 cells] seems like a great cell according to HKJ and has been verified by members on here!

Keeppower is an OEM that provides cells for companies like Orbtronics!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have the keeppower 14500 but 800mah not the 840,when i looked at the cost difference i could get 2 x800mah cells for the price of 1x 840mah 14500 So for me a no brianer at the time!!

I use efest IMR 16340 in my v11r as i prefer the shorter form factor ,so my extension is not in use at the moment.............but there if i need it.

So maybe another factor is the size ,it may suit you being that bit smaller(does me) but only a thought:thumbsup:

I have a few spare of each now,decided to try the efest v2 14500 cells but a mere 700mah :laughing: iirc the v1 are flat top,v2 button top.

Not done actual extensive tests for long running,i am sure you would get better results with an IMR cell regarding output on a vn light ,mine is standard but choose IMR ,and mainly 16340 for the more compact size.

Congrats roberto on the light:cool:

Capolini

Banned
Here's HKJ's summary capacity chart for small cells:

http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Batteries2012Small/common/Capacity.png

I prefer the 14500 config for the small bump in capacity, but more importantly, for the ability to use any common AA cell in a pinch.

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,I like his threads! that is how I found out that the KP 840mAh Sanyo was a very good battery![Actually the review was for the 800mAh,,,I am trusting the 840 is as good w/ 40 more mAh!] I make a habit of looking at batteries from my favorite vendor and then going to his website and learning about them. :)

Capolini

Banned
I have the keeppower 14500 but 800mah not the 840,when i looked at the cost difference i could get 2 x800mah cells for the price of 1x 840mah 14500 So for me a no brianer at the time!!

I use efest IMR 16340 in my v11r as i prefer the shorter form factor ,so my extension is not in use at the moment.............but there if i need it.

So maybe another factor is the size ,it may suit you being that bit smaller(does me) but only a thought:thumbsup:

I have a few spare of each now,decided to try the efest v2 14500 cells but a mere 700mah :laughing: iirc the v1 are flat top,v2 button top.

Not done actual extensive tests for long running,i am sure you would get better results with an IMR cell regarding output on a vn light ,mine is standard but choose IMR ,and mainly 16340 for the more compact size.

Congrats roberto on the light:cool:

:cool:,Thanks,,I also have a few IMR Kinoko 16340 and a few NC NL166 FOR my S10!! I may like the smaller configuration better also,,,,,,but I would think the run time would be short! I get about 40 minutes of run time on my S10,,,,,,,I would think a modded vinh light would cut that in half w/ such a low capacity battery! Anyway,,,,,I can choose either now that i ordered the EXT. along w/ the 840mAh Sanyo 14500!!!

:) ::) :) :):):):)

ven

Flashaholic
Nice to have the choice:twothumbs be a good experiment:D iirc 900lm on yours:cool: so would imagine it will be turned down a bit due to heat after a minute or so use.The extension at that power may help with heat a little too......

Capolini

Banned
Nice to have the choice:twothumbs be a good experiment:D iirc 900lm on yours:cool: so would imagine it will be turned down a bit due to heat after a minute or so use.The extension at that power may help with heat a little too......

I checked SB'S review and could not find anything regarding low battery indicator or not? I do not think it has one,so,,when the batteries get low[I rarely let that happen],,,,,,,,,,,,how does the light react to that?? Does it just get dimmer or shut off? Usually on protected it just shuts off on IMR it gets dimmer and dimmer,at least w/ some of my lights that is what happened!

ven

Flashaholic
I have not run mine down roberto, so sorry i cant answer that,the few times i have used it i have topped cells off..........

It may be worth a case for a spare cell with your use,Tmack found some nice pill cases for the 16340 cells.

For the "just in case" scenario

:)

Capolini

Banned
ok, :thanks: ,,just wondering,,,,,,,,,,,,I do not let my cells get to low,I know all my lights run time limits and charge them before that!

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::hitit::hitit::hitit::hitit::hitit::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

I ENTER EMOTICON "REHAB" TOMORROW!!!!

ven

Flashaholic
Guess you will be going with Patt then:laughing::laughing::poke::twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:rock::rock::rock::hitit::hitit::party::party::party::p

:laughing:

Capolini

Banned
Guess you will be going with Patt then:laughing::laughing::poke::twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:rock::rock::rock::hitit::hitit::party::party::party::p

:laughing:

LOL!!!! I trained him at one of my schools in Acquasanta, Italia!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::popcorn::popcorn::D:D:D:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:;);););););):popcorn::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:bow::bow::bow::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::):):):party::party::party::party::party::party::):):):):):party::party::party::party::party::party::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:;););)

OK,,,I AM READY FOR "EMOTICON REHAB NOW"!!!!!!!!

Capolini

Banned
TELL THE "OP" he needs to get back on topic!

I am looking forward to getting my new V11Rvn w/ extension and a top of the line Sanyo 14500 840mAh K'Power!

I know my run time will increase a bit from my IMR 16340.......I am hoping the output will be as good or better?:thinking:

I am practicing on using 3 emoticons or less!!! :laughing::popcorn: