Tri-Rebel PR Can fixed lighting.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've upgraded my workbench microscope lights several times and now it's time for a new pair of lights.

The componenst shown below are Don's 10mm Rebel reflector, PR Can, thin PCB flower cut down to three LEDs, custom heat sink and custom acrylic template.
t640_tri-rebel01.jpg

Not shown is the existing box, 50K audio taper potentiomenter, Shark and other misc components.

Here you can see where the acrylic template is used. It's on top above the LEDs and provides a flat surface for the clamp assembly to hold the thin PCB down flat to the heat sink while the epoxy glue sets up. Below shows the clamp on the head with the heatsink, template and head.
t640_tri-rebel05.jpg

Here is a close up of the template I made for the full 7 Rebel Flower thin PCB.
t640_tri-rebel06.jpg

I bored inside the head to create a little lip for the heat sink to rest on and to set the height of the heat sink, LED and reflector stack up to keep the reflectors close to the lens.
t640_tri-rebel02.jpg

Below is the picture of the heat sink assembly completed along with the glue and fine tip syringe I used to put a small bead of E6000 around the base to hold the reflectors down. Once the E6000 hardened a bit (~20 minutes) I followed it up with a thicker bead around the perimeter of the base of the reflector to make a solid glue joint. I wouldn't rely on the thin bead for long term usage.
tri-rebel_hs.jpg

Here a look into the front of the head and reflectors.
tri-rebel_finished.jpg

Some final beamshots after installation. I modified the Shark sense resistor to 0.47 ohms to lmit the high output of the Shark to around 200mA max.

Both on high.
trirebel_b2.jpg

There is also a single 10mm thin PCB on the shoppe for single light applications.

Wayne

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that the 10mm reflector has a larger beam which means I am able to light up a larger area and not have to reposition the lights that often.

Running the Rebels @ 200mA generates less heat and more light than my previous configuration. I had been running a Lux3 driven at 750mA with a Downboy and the head got very hot to the touch.

Now these barely get warm on high. The Wall transformer was downsized from a 9V output to a 7V output to allow the Shark to have full control range over the three rebels wired in series.

Wayne

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice development Wayne :twothumbs...:clap:...:goodjob:

The only pity is......the very longish power cable by using the lights as flashlights:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

sortafast

Enlightened
that is sweet. BTW what mA is the wall transformer running at, and is it just one of those wall worts or something more...um...better?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is sweet. BTW what mA is the wall transformer running at, and is it just one of those wall worts or something more...um...better?

I stopped by the surplus store and found a 7VDC/1A plug in the wall transformer. Too bad it's older technology since its output is 9V or so with no load and 8V when the lights are running. I need to get a switcher version that is actually regulated output.

With the two lights and max output input current will be around 300mA or so and a 600mA rated transformer should be fine. 1A is probably what I'll look for.

I just tested the lights on high and the heads stabilized around 140F or so with my uncalibrated hand. Hot, but, no burns. I backed off a tad and I could barely see the light level drop, but, the heads then stabilized to near room temperature. That's where I'll run them. Still plenty of light output and the LEDs should last a long time.

Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Wayne! :thumbsup: Thanks for another project idea! :nana:

It looks like there is room in a PR or PR-T head for a Tri-Rebel and a new BadBoy?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow!! Very cool! This beats my workstation detail lighting - a headlamp!

:thumbsup: john

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful Work!!! That looks SOOO damn nice!!!
Could you do a beamshot comparison?

I would love a set-up like that for the new milling machine!

Could you fit all 7 rebels in a Pr-T head?..... THAT would be Awesome!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flower with reflectors loaded is ~1.2" (10mm X 3) in diameter and does not fit in the PR head.

What you see is the best beam shot I'll post. These are attached to loc-line and plastic box with a DC jack connecting them to a wall wart supply. Actually, I took one more picture when I was documenting the build. Here's a shot of just one of them turned on.
tri_rebel_b1.jpg

Not sure what kinda beam shot you'd want to see. Are you suggesting I drag an extension cord to some nearby field, plug it in and take pictures? :grin2:

Here's a picture of the Rebel 10mm thin PCB mounted to a Aleph Escrew top.
rebel_10mma.jpg

Wayne

Last edited: