.18 lumens is too bright!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used my photon freedom micro again at 03:00 when woken up by a kidney stone. Silent to turn on (no switch click sound) and can come on in low. This was just the perfect amount of light.

If you want to see a comparison, check out the photos I linked to in an earlier post.

The freedom micro is cheap enough just to get one to try, and you won't be disappointed. Worst case you'll have a fully featured light on your key chain.

fyrstormer

Banned
tritium schmitrium, pollutes the planet. say no to hazardous chemicals. grow a light bug in a jar on your night table. 100% renewable, ecological. and if you ever get so lonely & bored, you can even pet him. btw, does anyone know if there are any neutral, high CRI versions available?

nap.
Yeah, tritium isn't hazardous. Tritium is continuously produced in seawater by incoming radiation from the sun. You get covered in the stuff every time you go to the beach. When it fizzes it just turns into helium.

fyrstormer

Banned
I just used my photon freedom micro again at 03:00 when woken up by a kidney stone. Silent to turn on (no switch click sound) and can come on in low. This was just the perfect amount of light.
Given what I've heard about kidney stones, I'm amazed you were able to spare the attention to care how bright your flashlight was. In any event, time for you to go soak in an ultrasonic bathtub.

purelite

Enlightened
This is pretty funny. at .18 you seemd to retain your nightvision and you could see clearly. I dont understand the problem. Do you seek a light that will not allow you to see in the dark? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of a light? :) Sounds like the light is working great?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~
I tried to get a LRI Proton Pro last month but they were out of stock.

I need something very light weight for the key chain . I'll try again .

They seem to have a good low-low at a good price point .

Does anyone know any reason not to try one ?

I have a Liteflux LF2xt R-5 .........
Can I expect the Proton Pro' s LOW to be lower than the LF2Xt ?

~

Last edited:

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
I did a little test last night. I ran my Maratac AAA on a slightly depleted cell, that measured about 1.49V. After a few stages over the course of the night, leaving it on for about 15 minutes at a time in different modes, I ran the cell down to 1.2V. I know that's not that low, but I didn't want to deplete to the point the light wouldn't even come on in medium or high. I then put the green Blistex cap over the bezel, and went into a pitch black bathroom. I left the light off for about 3 minutes to try and get my eyes adjusted. Then I turned on the low mode (now more like 1 lumen). It still filled the entire bathroom with glowing green light.

It works in a pinch, but for someone who needs a house light that will not effect dark adapted vision at all, and will be just barely enough light to see shapes right in front of you, a variable light, or a light that goes way below 1 lumen seems like a necessity. I'm thinking of getting my first Zebralight soon, an H51FW, and I'm curious if it's low low of .18 will be low enough for me in this situation.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
~

Can I expect the Proton Pro' s LOW to be lower than the LF2Xt ?

~

I just did a quick ceiling bounce comparison. The LF2XT appears to be a bit lower. Also, the Proton Pro has a more pronounced hot spot. Of course the red LED of the Pro does provide a lower low.

Geoff

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Thanks Geoff ,

If that's the case I guess I'll just stick with the Liteflux.
If I can't tell there's a light on in the room with my eyelids closed , it's low enough.

Hey subwoofer ,

Those are my trademark (~) Tilde~cows~come~home symbols .
Just personal markings ~ more/or/less like an E-mail signature.

It means ..."This message sent from my Desk Top" as approximate opinion .

HeHe
~

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
why do all your posts have a tilda (~) at the start and end?
~

Those are my trademark (~) Tilde~cows~come~home symbols

~
Faults in My-Tilda, faults in My-Tilda,
Who'll find the faults in My-Tilda and me?
And he sang as he watched and waited with his Zebralight,
Who'll find the faults-in My-Tilda today!

Sorry... carry on. LOL

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
...The Nitecore IFE and IFD lights look good, but the decision to put strobe below the lowest mode seems like a huge UI flaw to me. If you want the lowest light possible, then you probably don't want any chance of accidentally switching over to the brightest and most disorienting mode. I don't know how good the stop is at the low, but it would make a lot more sense to me if strobe was up past the high end.

Its not really a problem either way, as its behind a detent, so you turn it down, it clicks into the "off" detent, and then turn it more for it to come out of the off detent before it goes to strobing. Or turn it into the detent, and back to the right just enough to come out of the detent, and you get a nice low mode where the die is barely lit, but at night is perfect for pitch black rooms. Unless you're being ham handed it shouldnt be a problem. And if you are being ham handed, it'll quickly teach you to not be so ham handed. :D

DM51

Flashaholic
Oh dear. A stony silence has descended on this thread. Perhaps my irreverent pun version of Waltzing Matilda (2 posts above ^ ) has upset the Aussies... sorry guys, meant no offense! :(

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh dear. A stony silence has descended on this thread. Perhaps my irreverent pun version of Waltzing Matilda (2 posts above ^ ) has upset the Aussies... sorry guys, meant no offense! :(

It takes much more than that to offend an Australian!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

You started me off having a tune I couldn't get out of my head. Now it is back again!!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a fenix e0 or gerber infinity with a depleted battery.

Copying the Gerber Infinity concept, I placed a red 5mm LED into a CR123a host with a 2 stage tailcap, it's absolutely perfect for extremely low light night applications with high being just a little less than my Jet III M's lowest setting (2Lm IIRC) but in a diffused output style ;)

So that would be my suggestion for a dedicated low-low flashlight, a modified P60 module in any P60 compatible host you like (resistored to your personal output requirement), in fact there's a thread already dealing with such a configuration HERE :D

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm guessing my 2,000 lumen varapower is about .02 lumens in the lowest mode - fine for looking straight into the led with night adapted vision. I often leave it on all night in that mode when sleeping outside in the jungle for the sake of finding it.

For referance, anyone know how many lumens those smaller size trits are?

FWIW I find powers of 10 in lumens good jumps for when one level is too bright or dim... ie if I could have a magnetic control ring light I'd put levels on it spaced 8-10X apart such as .03, .3, 3, 30, 300 and of course I'd want a 3,000 lumen level :) If .03 was similar to a trit (never seen one in the dark) I'd skip that level on a light and just use the trit.

Napalm

Enlightened
img1236gzu.jpg

Nice tint, I could have sworn it's a Quark.

Nap.

Latest posts