.18 lumens is too bright!

Burgess

Flashaholic
to DM51 --

I very much enjoyed yer' rendition of Waltzing Matilda !

:goodjob::thanks:
_

tolkaze

Enlightened
I liked the Waltzing Matilda rendition as well :)

anyways, I found that even the low-low of a Ra, or Novatac can still be a little high, you can diffuse them, but then they become too low.

I'm trialling the Photon Freedom Micro in Amber with a sanded LED to diffuse the light out... Low start has never been so low, too low maybe... but easily ramped up. Good night time light because it gives better depth and hurts your eyes less than red, but still allows you to "preserve" some kind of night vision. Still suffers the same as any monochromatic light though, in that everything looks flat, and can make navigation very difficult... is that object on the ground a sock, or is it a small box of some kind... White would instantly differentiate, but mono lights can make it hard

Napalm

Enlightened
Good night time light because it gives better depth and hurts your eyes less than red, but still allows you to "preserve" some kind of night vision. Still suffers the same as any monochromatic light though, in that everything looks flat, and can make navigation very difficult... is that object on the ground a sock, or is it a small box of some kind...

I don't get it. If your night vision alone is not enough to see anything, then why would you be concerned with "preserving" it?

Nap. :shrug:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
.18 lumens is too bright!

Just for reference, what fraction of a lumen are electronics' standby dots? Bright enough to cover with tape at night, to preserve NAV?
2zfn153.jpg

One could hang a GITD skeleton on a stick. They used to come in boxes of Captain Crunch. I'm just concerned about its potential to cause permanent retina damage to those with ultra NAV:
2yy1gd0.jpg

Beamshot:
33cac8n.jpg

:duck:

To the integrating sphere!

brembo

Enlightened
To the integrating sphere!

That made me giggle, and I just woke up. It may have set the tone of my day. Thank you very much.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just for reference, what fraction of a lumen are electronics' standby dots? Bright enough to cover with tape at night, to preserve NAV?

The red LEDs are no problem for night vision, it is the blue ones I detest. I don't know why they had to start using blue LEDs for power indicators when red and green were just fine.

Burgess

Flashaholic
FWIW --

Last night, i solved my Sudoku puzzle,
using the Lowest mode on my ZebraLight H51fw headlamp.

That's 0.16 Lumens, according to ZebraLight (out-the-front).

Note: i did NOT have this light on my head. Held it in my left hand, while i wrote with my right hand.

It was certainly *adequate* for this task.

Hope this helps to put things in perspective here.

Samy

Enlightened
FWIW --

Last night, i solved my Sudoku puzzle,
using the Lowest mode on my ZebraLight H51fw headlamp.

That's 0.16 Lumens, according to ZebraLight (out-the-front).

Note: i did NOT have this light on my head. Held it in my left hand, while i wrote with my right hand.

It was certainly *adequate* for this task.

Hope this helps to put things in perspective here.

Note to manufacturers: Bring on 0.01 lumen flashlights LOL ;)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
you have to see it for yourself, I don't think there's a way to explain it. What I can say, however is that the first time, it seems like an almost unusable amount of light. Then you try it at night and figure it's probably the least amount of usable light. Then your brain actually adapts to this new lowest amount of light (no kidding, real life example to follow) and then it might even be a little much when it comes on suddenly.

For those who have a hard time digesting this: I have to enter dark rooms every now and then (I don't work there, just repair equipment.) The first time I went in there, I still couldn't see a thing after 20 minutes, and I'm not the only one. With time, the brain figures there's a signal hiding in there somewhere and finally you start seeing more and more. Now I can go in after being on a bright factory floor and see something after a few seconds. If I stay in there for minutes, I can see just about everything there is to see.

I figure the same goes with a dim light (dimmer than 0.2 lumens). The more you have to deal with it, the better you brain will be able to read the signal and the more you can see. Even 0.03 lumens is not completely useless, you just have to get used to it.
One of the best posts of the thread so far. It's also worth pointing out that people just get better at whatever they do on a regular basis, vision being no exception.

I found my L0D to be just right on low when I first got it, but soon realized that I was hesitant to turn it on when it truly dark situations, because I needed my eyesight to still be sensitive enough to navigate the trails around home or the hot springs without taking the couple minutes it would otherwise take to see again.
Note to manufacturers: Bring on 0.01 lumen flashlights LOL ;)
It probably won't be long before it's fairly common, but I think some of the lower output lights already have the capability.
And people used to complain about how dim a solitaire incan was :D
Yeah, but that was because the Solitaire was dim on high!
crackup.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully agree with the OP that .18 lumens is too bright for many tasks. Same is true for my HDS EDC on lowest at .08 lumens. The only lights I own that really go low enough are my depowered Photon Freedom and my Rigel MIL Starlite Mini.

After training many in the use of dim flashlights to accomplish tasks unnoticed in the dark it began to occur to me that there is much more to this than meets the eye. :D The use of dim lights requires more concentration than visual acuity. It's the same problem whether you're on the bridge of a ship or huddled under a piece of scenery on stage.

If you want to see more under low light conditions, calm yourself. Control your breathing. Get yourself into a place where more of your mind can go to work on what your eyes are seeing.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Follow the dim light first, Weedhopper.
Since I looked a lot like Kwai Chang Caine when I was younger my best friend used to either call me that or Weedhopper, so I thought for just a second you were talking to me!

Anyway, I will do as you say and follow my favorite low beam into the night...