Fenix model nomenclature, definition

garence

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to make sense of the Fenix model designation, hoping to find a logical pattern that reflects some information about each model. There seem to be some patterns, but not consistent. I searched around and couldn't find a posting about this and the Fenix retailers on-line don't state anything (at least that I could find). Based on feedback so far, here's what I've got:

<L/#><S> (Letter, number, suffix)

<Letter/Number>
L0 - 1xAAA battery, twist switch (e.g. L0D, L0P)
L1 - 1xAA battery, click switch (e.g. L1D, L1P)
L2 - 2xAA battery, click switch (e.g. L2D CE, L2T)

P1 - 1xCR123 battery, twist switch (e.g. P1, P1D)
P2 - 1xCR123 battery, click switch (e.g. P2D, P2D CE)
P3 - 2xCR123 battery, click switch (e.g. P3D)

T1 - Tactical, series 1, 2xCR123 battery, click switch

<Suffix>
P - Premium, meaning more powerful circuitry and AR coated lens.
SE - Special Edition, which may have added capabilities (like 3 light levels, versus 1 with non SE).
D - Digital (usually digital circuitry that produces STROBE and SOS modes, in addition to multiple power levels).
S - This was retired some time ago and was only used for the L1S/L2S models, possibly meaning "standard".
T - Prior to digital circuitry, this designation was for two power modes.
E - Economical, using the cheaper Nichia LEDs (versus the Luxeon or Cree). E0 and E1 models have been retired.
RBxxx - Luxeon Rebel (e.g. RB100).
CE - Cree LED (replacing Luxeon)

Cree P#, Q#, or R# ; bin number (brightness) of LED used (e.g. P4, Q5). There is also tint (WC, WD, WG, WH) but Fenix does not specify.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix model nomenclature

Awesome post. I've been trying to dissect the meaning myself for the last week as well.

D = digital, which I take to mean digitally regulated?

R = Textured Reflector

Q= limited quantity? eg Q4, Q5

CE = Cree Edition

This should be made a sticky. :)

garence

Newly Enlightened

Awesome post. I've been trying to dissect the meaning myself for the last week as well.

D = digital, which I take to mean digitally regulated?

R = Textured Reflector

Q= limited quantity? eg Q4, Q5

CE = Cree Edition

This should be made a sticky. :)
You're right about D - digital regulation.
Regarding Q, I think it's some kind of batch quantity designator, what might be construed as a version. So far the higher numbers indicate a higher output. From what I've seen there was the earlier Px series, now the Qx series. I'm assuming Rx is next. ;)

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

P=Premium L1>>L1P. More powerful circuitry, AR coated lens. In more recent models the whole word is used.
SE=Special Edition L0P>>L0P SE. 1 light level >3 light levels
D=Digital (usually digital circuitry that produces STROBE and SOS modes) L0P SE>>L0D. 3 light levels>3 light levels + strobe + SOS.

S - I do not remember any definition of the S in L1S and L2S. Maybe a Simpler version of the L1T and L2T.
xxT= Two light levels.
Tx= Tatical.

E=Economical E0, E1. Just happens all the E series lights use Nichia LEDs.

RBxxx=Luxeon Rebel xxx=lm@350mA.

Cree P# or Q# or R#=bin number (brightness) of LED used. Tint (WC, WD, WG, WH) not specified.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
What do the letters in the Fenix model numbers stand for?

Being a recent Fenix fan I have been looking at a lot of the different Fenix models and I'm wondering what the letters stand for.

I have the Fenix LD12 and today should be receiving the Fenix LD01.

So what does the LD stand for in them two models?

How about the E, PD and TK models?

Thread Merge - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Re: What do the letters in the Fenix model numbers stand for?

There was a thread about this a while back that I tried to find for you. It had a great discussion on this. Basically what ended up being decided was the the E series = Economy, L Series = Luxury, P series = Power, and TK series = Tank. Some of those we knew others we guessed. But there's more to each series than just there title.

E Series - XP-E LED only, budget, mix of battery types

LD Series - AA battery lights, multi-mode

PD Series - Lithium battery lights, multi-mode, EDC size only for the moment

TK Series- The biggest and baddest lights Fenix makes.

pinetree89

Enlightened

Somebody posted the official meanings from Fenix a while back. Might've been posted on the facebook page or something. I seem to recall that the names were really cheesy, like somebody made them up after the fact to fit the pre-existing letters.

I think they had LD as "Limit Defying"

I suspect the letters might reference something in Chinese that we'll never know.

appliancejunk

Enlightened

Oh, lol...

Maybe I will find the answer in a chinese fortune cookie someday. ;)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll give you an example of what the letters stand for: I own a Fenix TK-41. In this case the TK stands for "Totally Kickin' ..." Now the last word that would fit into that phrase is a curse word(a**) so they didnt want to include it because they didnt want to offend anyone. It was a business decision.

Then there's the PD series. It stands for "Pretty darn ... ..." Again, the last words are bad-a**, which is a curse, so they just left it at PD.

appliancejunk

Enlightened

Now I don't know if you guys are kidding or serious, lol...

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I don't know if you guys are kidding or serious, lol...

I think the general consensus is that we dont really have any idea what these letters mean, and they probably do stand for something in Chinese. Like TK might stand for Tiyong Kung.

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

The only one I know for sure is TK which stands for tank. That seems to be the only real general consensus and I can't remember who found it out way back when. The rest are up in the air.

Ezeriel

Enlightened

E -- Everyday use
LD - Limit Defying
PD - Power Delivery
MC - Maximum Control
TK - Tank Armored
RC - Recharging Consistancy
HL - Headlamp Lighting
HP - Headlamp Performance

^that's from fenix, not me ;)

Last edited:

gladis

Newly Enlightened

I think originally,

TK stood for tank, like the TK20, but eventually just evolved into their premium line, but generally are more robust
D stood for digital, as in the digital controller, hence we had the L1D, P1D etc
L I THINK, stood for alkaline (as in the cell format, ie AA battery), while P stood for primary (ie CR123a), and
E is for Economy or Everyday

Then there's the TA series, which had the ring dimmer, I can only guess A stood for "adjustable", and I suppose T could've stood for "Tactical", so the K in TK is what stands for tank.

But then again it's just me guessing, none of it is substantiated by anything concrete.

Edit: Having read Ezrial's post I think P standing for Performance can also make sense

Ezeriel

Enlightened

I think originally,

TK stood for tank, like the TK20, but eventually just evolved into their premium line, but generally are more robust
D stood for digital, as in the digital controller, hence we had the L1D, P1D etc
L I THINK, stood for alkaline (as in the cell format, ie AA battery), while P stood for primary (ie CR123a), and
E is for Economy or Everyday

Then there's the TA series, which had the ring dimmer, I can only guess A stood for "adjustable", and I suppose T could've stood for "Tactical", so the K in TK is what stands for tank.

But then again it's just me guessing, none of it is substantiated by anything concrete.

Edit: Having read Ezerial's post I think P standing for Performance can also make sense

I can remember when LD was lighting digitally... but I have no idea if it was official
I have no idea what TA is... they don't mention it anymore