18650 & WF-139 issue. Batteries are erratic.

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
What is wrong with my batteries?

I charged my batteries and placed them in my M1X. They worked great. I used the light for a few minutes and decided to place them back on the WF-139. They were on the charger for approximately 2-3 minutes.

I pulled them off and placed them back in my M1X and the light was very dim. I placed the same batteries in my TK-11 and the light worked as normal.

Thinking i had a bad light, I sent it back . Now the same batteries will not even turn the new light on! These batteries are 2 months old, and have only been charged 2-3 times.

I do not have a multimeter, which from the sounds of things, I need to purchase.

Did I send these batteries into protection? I searched for protection on CPF, but could only find references to protection if it is undercharged.

Last edited:

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a multimeter after work

The AW batteries that will not work in my M1X, but work in my TK 11 are reading 4.08 volts.

My ultra fires that work in both lights are reading 3.6.

According to what I have been reading, both voltages are within proper operating range. Why would they work in one light, and not the other?

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW are flat , make sure you put them in the right way , and what is the + Contact like in the flashlight , is it a spring , or just a flat driver board ?

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
They are in the correct way. It is a spring in both lights.

I tried putting one AW and one ultrafire in the M1X, and it still will not light up.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you make sure that the ring in the tailcap is screwed all the way down....dont have an idea why it will not work. Is the charger properly charging the battery.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW batteries that will not work in my M1X, but work in my TK 11 are reading 4.08 volts.

My ultra fires that work in both lights are reading 3.6.

According to what I have been reading, both voltages are within proper operating range. Why would they work in one light, and not the other?
The Ultrafire cells are empty and need to be charged.

The AW cells are almost full.

Which type of AW 18650 cell is it? Button top (2200) or flat top (2600)

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I will charge the Ultra's tonight. I will do a search, but what should they read @ full charge? a bit under 4.2?

The AW's are flat top. The ultra's are Button top.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charge to about 4.17-4.18v.

Also let the batteries rest for 10 minutes or so after charging them, before using them.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pulled them off and placed them back in my M1X and the light was very dim. I placed the same batteries in my TK-11 and the light worked as normal.

Sounds like you have a poor connection within the light, somewhere.

Thinking i had a bad light, I sent it back . Now the same batteries will not even turn the new light on! These batteries are 2 months old, and have only been charged 2-3 times.
If the batteries still work in another light, it sounds like you have another poor connection, somewhere. You've pretty much figured this out already. :)

I do not have a multimeter, which from the sounds of things, I need to purchase.
A means of measuring voltage, with reasonable accuracy, is pretty much a requirement if you intend to use Li-Ion cells.

Can you make sure that the ring in the tailcap is screwed all the way down....dont have an idea why it will not work. Is the charger properly charging the battery.

This sounds like a good idea from alfreddajero, and is definitely worth checking out. It's also worth checking all the contacts within the light, as well as the cells themselves for corrosion, misalignment etc.

.....what should they read @ full charge? a bit under 4.2?

LiCo and LiMn cells should read 4.20 Volts when taken off a charger that properly charges these chemistry Li-Ion cells. That's not saying all chargers will do this, but yes, a fully charged LiCo or LiMn cell that is in new (or nearly new) condition, should read 4.20 Volts, or close to that, after being fully charged.

Also let the batteries rest for 10 minutes or so after charging them, before using them.

I'm curious, why do you say this? :confused:

Dave

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
What are the chances of two M1X's having the same battery fitment issue?

Multimeter purchased. Definately good to have in the tool box.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like rechargeable AA's the more mah a cell has the bigger the cell is going to be. I have a C6t and use 2500 18650's....i doubt that a cell with more mah would fit in the tube since its a snug fit already.

Corey R.

Newly Enlightened
My AW's worked perfect in the light for 2 months.

Can batteries compress and become shorter?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
no.....something that should not happen at all......have you compared it with other batts you have.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can batteries compress and become shorter?

Are your AW flatops indented at the negative end? I had a problem with this using NiMH flatops once. The tailspring indented the bottom ends of the cells, because they were longer than a standard AA. This can cause flatops to not work, as there is no nipple to "reach" up into the indentation and make contact between cells.

Dave

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries wont compress and become shorter , but springs will ....
2/ If you have different batts , how do they work ?

Could be springs , tail clicky , driver , solder joint ...