Just got Rebel L1D (& compared to cree L2D & ion)

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Recently got a Fenix L1D using the new Luxeon Rebel LED. I'm very happy with this light. Construction is excellent, feels solid.. very smooth threads, the click button feels stiffer and clickier compared to slightly older L2D. The L2D has better run times and top brightness, but I think the smaller package of the L1D is more desirable. They are both multilevel lights.

Aside from the minor construction differences of these two Fenix lights I was also interested in seeing the output differences between these new high caliber Cree and Luxeon LEDs. Move over 5mm LEDs. Short answer -- I really like the warm, "incan like" output of the Rebel LED. The Cree may be a 'truer' (and bluer) white (at least on a white wall) but I like how things look better under the Rebel.

In the second image my camera (which approximates the colors these LEDs look poorly) makes the Cree appear much whiter then the Luxeon. In real life this isn't the case. Comparing the output on a white wall during an overcast day the Rebel looks a much more natural white (slight green/yellow cast) compared to the Cree (slight blue/purple cast)

Pictures...

Three lights, L2D CE (2 AA), L1D Rebel (1 AA), Ion (cr2). New industrial strength LED lights in small packages. What I like about all these lights, in addition to small size, is they have regulated low settings that last hours, as well as very bright (& short lasting) high settings.

Beamshot of L1D on medium, ~40 lumens.. about 2 feet from ceiling. You can see the warm output.
LED_2.jpg

Comparing the output to L2D. The cree has a cooler (bluer) white.
LED_3.jpg

Now with the ion. You can hardly see the very floody output of the ion on the right.
LED_4.jpg

Here's the output of the ion by itself. Very smooth flood.

Latest posts