A geeky dad with his flashlights embarasses his daughter! :)

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of humorous story here.

My daughter, who is a senior at our local high school, participates every year in a mock trial competition. The trial phase always takes place at the various courthouses in downtown Painesville (the capital of Lake County, and therefore where the county and city courthouses are). There are a LOT of schools and kids in this competition, and it keeps the legal system busy in that we use pretty much all the judges, bailiffs and so forth. Who incidentally seem to have a blast and always encourage the kids.

Anyway, of course I had to go watch my daughter's trial, and that meant entering the court house. Through the metal detectors. With no less than 7 aluminum bodied flashlights scattered about my person.

The cop doing the screening thought the whole thing was huge fun as we stood there for a few minutes playing with a few Surefires (E1L, L1, L2), an Olight T10, a Lumapower LM31, a Photon Proton Pro and even a Zebralight. This doesn't count the lights on my keychain.

There are times when I don't even realize what all I'm carrying.

My daughter was of course mortified by her geeky dad. So that just added to my enjoyment. :D

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE STORY!!!

I ALWAYS find that I have an inexcusable amount of lights on me. Usually I have 1-2, but there have been times when I empty all my pockets and end up having 5-8 light on me! Of course all my friends take the oportunity to ask "WHY" someone would need so many lights.

I like my flashlights just a bit too much!......

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its totally justified. You have one thrower, you know, just i case. One spiller for an area light. You have that really really bright one thats a good balance between the two. Then you have your pocket rocket 1 x CR123a configuration, then you the AAA long distance champ, then you have the keyringers.

Ive cut it down to two,my EDC below, and my ARC-AAA on keys. On days i feel like it, i carry My T1 as well, and my Jetbeam-u, sometimes my KD buckle..when i feel like it. Its totally justifyable, like i said. :D

Crenshaw

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well, she's just in the right age to be really embarrassed by such a dad :D
Well, done!!

Although I admit ... I wouldn't know where to put 7 lights on me. Usually I carry one. When I take a second, I get "the look" from my wife.

bernie

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Haha , I think I should be wielding the least amount of EDC lights in this thread ...
I'm only EDCing the Arc-P with me at all times, until the 85P or A2 come ... :huh:

Draven451

Enlightened
Great story! You never know when you may be in a situation where you have to hand out a couple of lights for someone elses use when the lights go out Dad has enough lights for the whole family and the neighbors! :laughing:

Taboot

Enlightened
Good story!

My wife is embarrassed any time I pull out a light for any reason. Until she needs one:p

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, she's just in the right age to be really embarrassed by such a dad :D
Well, done!!

I love teenagers. They are so easy to embarrass! :D

Although I admit ... I wouldn't know where to put 7 lights on me. Usually I carry one. When I take a second, I get "the look" from my wife.

bernie

One positive side of winter time is that I have a bunch of extra pockets to carry lights! When it warms up, my EDC will be reduced to whatever I can stuff in my jeans. Since I already carry a lot of gadgets in my jeans, that means two lights, max.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got searched on the way into a train station once. Putting all the flashlights on the tray was bad enough, but explaining why I had a lithium battery in a contact-lens case was a red-cheeked experience.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
About a year ago I was hired into a full time position from a contractor position at work, so HR says I have to pass the golden flow test. No problem.

The nice lady at the testing center asks that I empty my pockets. I asked her "are you sure? really?"

After just one pocket of my cargo pants, she says "umm...... anything with liquid or can hold something..." so I took out my eye drops and flashlights and left the other plethora of random stuff I EDC.

I am glad to hear the guy running the metal detector thought it was fun, not "why is this weirdo carrying lights?"

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
great story. part of adolescence is being embarrassed a few times along the road!

glad the guard was friendly. but i guarantee you he was makin sure those flashlights were actually flashlights, and no hidden zip guns or rocket launchers!

mini mag zip gun anyone? :(

jugg2

Enlightened
I got searched on the way into a train station once. Putting all the flashlights on the tray was bad enough, but explaining why I had a lithium battery in a contact-lens case was a red-cheeked experience.

Did they beat you!? :whoopin: I couldn't resist lol.

My mom and sister think carrying one light is crazy, and two or three is just insane, but when they are fumbling around in the dark they never hesitate to ask for one.

mdocod

Flashaholic
great story. Since recently discovering the convenience of holstering things, i am often wearing an abnormal number of lights as well. At least 3-5 on my belt split between either side balanced with a big multi-tool. Obviously this leaves my normally full left pocket mostly empty, room for more lights!

tedjanxt

Enlightened
great story. Since recently discovering the convenience of holstering things, i am often wearing an abnormal number of lights as well. At least 3-5 on my belt split between either side balanced with a big multi-tool. Obviously this leaves my normally full left pocket mostly empty, room for more lights!

Bat-belt syndrome, much more embarrassing since you don't have to empty your pockets to show what a geek you are.

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened

Sir, why do you have cannon fuse?

Uhhh, for my cannon?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny story story Mike. My daughter is a Junior this year at Mentor High. We probably live 10 minutes apart. We'll have to have lunch one of these days.

Bill

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Through the metal detectors. With no less than 7 aluminum bodied flashlights scattered about my person.

This doesn't count the lights on my keychain.

I know this is a little forward, but what situation do you imagine finding yourself in were 7+ lights would come in handy? If you carry that many for some other reason, what is it? To be brutally honest it strikes me as a little unhealthy, and although it is the nature of such communities to reinforce uncommon behavior, sometimes a little self reflection on an individual and group level is in order.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a little forward, but what situation do you imagine finding yourself in were 7+ lights would come in handy? If you carry that many for some other reason, what is it? To be brutally honest it strikes me as a little unhealthy, and although it is the nature of such communities to reinforce uncommon behavior, sometimes a little self reflection on an individual and group level is in order.

I don't want to speak for Mike but, sometimes we (flashaholics) carry a lot of lights at night just to try them, try different batteries, compare lights and brightnesses, compare the same lights with different batteries, especially new ones with old ones. If you looked at it from the perspective of how many lights did he actually need, and over compensated that, then your missing some of what it's all about here.
Most of the time I have one light in my pocket and one light on my key chain. But there are times I have 4 or 5 on me. Especially when doing any of the previously explained.

Bill

jugg2

Enlightened
Each light has characteristics that are useful in different situations. Plus having lots of lights is just plain fun. Maybe you should try it....

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bat-belt syndrome, much more embarrassing since you don't have to empty your pockets to show what a geek you are.
Is that what they call it?? O man I knew there was a name for it, cuse there sure ain't no cure..:sick:

Latest posts