Coleman Exponent 2x123 Flashlight

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Coleman Exponent 2x123 and 1x123 lights arrived today. The 1x123 light is defective. It occasionally flickers, and the high setting is very dim (only around 30 lumens). I called Coleman and they will be sending me another one and then I send this one back when it arrives. Since my 1x123 light is defective this review will only be of the 2x123 version.
Here's a pic of the light in the packaging:
IMG_1455small.jpg

The light is pretty large for a 2x123 cell light. Not so much in length, but more in girth. The body tube is much larger around than most (all I've seen) 2x123 lights on the market. It weighs 5.5 ounces or 157 grams. Here is a pic compared to a Maglite Minimag:
IMG_1458small.jpg

The threads on the light were bone dry when it arrived. After cleaning them off and lubing them up with some Nyogel they are pretty nice and smooth.

The light functions in a very neat way. There is a selector ring near the head of the light. In the center of the ring is the lock (off) position. In this position the light can't be turned on. If you turn the ring to the right it turns on the white (Cree) beam. The first click turns the light on in the highest setting, a second click within a second turns it to the low setting, a third click within a second turns it to the flash setting, and a fourth click turns it off. If you leave the light in any setting for more than a few seconds a click turns the light off. If you turn the ring to the left it turns on the red (5x3mm LED) beam. It operates exactly the same as the white beam. I REALLY like how this light works! Either the red or white beam can be used without having to see the other.

The output of this light is pretty nice. Here are some numbers I got with my Lux meter and Lightbox:

White High = 132 Lumens / 740 Lux
White Low = 51 Lumens / 300 Lux
Red High = 15 Lumens / 60 Lux
Red Low = 6 Lumens / 30 Lux

My lightbox isn't exact, but it is on the low side. So I would say that the light is *at least* this bright on all settings if not more so.

The beam on this light is kinda different. It has very little lux for out much overall output it has. The beam is more of a flood beam rather than throw. Here are some beamshots. The first pic is the white on high, the second is white on low, the third is red on high, and the fourth is red on low:
IMG_1461small.jpg

IMG_1464small.jpg

IMG_1465small.jpg

IMG_1468small.jpg

I also have the lantern attachment for this light, but I honestly can't recommend it. The threads didn't really want to line up, and when I finally got it to screw on I ended up scratching up the lantern threads pretty badly. The lantern attachment is a really good idea, but I don't think this one is done right.

Overall this light is pretty damn nice, and a great offering from Coleman. The beam is nice and smooth, the output is pretty good, and the UI is fantastic! I highly recommend the light, but I would stay away from the lantern attachment unless you REALLY want to check it out.

*UPDATE* 3/13
I noticed that when the light is turned to either the red or white position from the off position that will be flash (very quickly) whatever setting it's turned to. For this to happen you have to have the light in the off position for a little while. I'm not sure how long, but it didn't happen when I was first playing with the light.

Last edited:

clg0159

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and the beamshots (excellent pics as usual). What a cool UI and that larger girth will suit my large hands:ohgeez:(there is no better way to say that) I honestly can't see anything I do not like about it from here so I will have to order one.

BTW, You should send the lantern attachment back with the 1XCR123 and stick with the packaway!

daveman

Enlightened
NIce review. It's great to see 130+ lumen lights going into the mainstream markets. I guess us "enthusiasts" will just have to keep on moving upwards on the lumen chain to stay ahead of the general population.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was a little tempted by this with the collapsible lantern head for it

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, AD. What is the current draw like? Do you know if it takes R123s? What is the beam like having those red leds within the main reflector? What are the dimensions (not on the website)? Coleman lists the same runtime for the 1 and 2 cell versions. Granted, the 2 cell is brighter, but still, you'd think at least the runtime on low would be much longer.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, AD. What is the current draw like? Do you know if it takes R123s? What is the beam like having those red leds within the main reflector? What are the dimensions (not on the website)? Coleman lists the same runtime for the 1 and 2 cell versions. Granted, the 2 cell is brighter, but still, you'd think at least the runtime on low would be much longer.

Thanks. I don't have any instruments to test current draw, and I'm not sure if it takes R123's. You could ask Blacklight and see what he says.
The beam is honestly pretty nice. I think the reason it doesn't have any throw is because of the 5 red leds in the main reflector, but the beam is pretty smooth. There aren't any rings, which is rare for a cree.
I'll measure it the length of the light tonight.
The light is over 50 lumens out the front on low, so I think 6 hours is reasonable in terms of runtime. I would like it to be a little more, but the features on this light are so cool that I'll deal with the shorter than average runtime.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, AD! What I was getting at is that I think Coleman's runtimes for the 2 cell version are a bit light. The times quoted seem more in line for a single cell light. Well, b/c of you, I ordered this light. I could sense your exuberance all the way from here! I will slap a DMM on it asap so we can better judge runtime. Blacklight, are you here?

Did you see the 4AAA Exponent cree with built in knife? I came this close to ordering one.

:whistle:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, AD! What I was getting at is that I think Coleman's runtimes for the 2 cell version are a bit light. The times quoted seem more in line for a single cell light. Well, b/c of you, I ordered this light. I could sense your exuberance all the way from here! I will slap a DMM on it asap so we can better judge runtime. Blacklight, are you here?

Did you see the 4AAA Exponent cree with built in knife? I came this close to ordering one.

:whistle:

Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it. It isn't the brightest light I have, but along with the Proton Pro it's one of the coolest! I would consider it a great all around camping/hiking light.
I thought about ordering the 4AAA Exponent Cree with the knife, but I already had quite the order (over $125) and I can't stand the fact that it was a 4AAA. If they would have gone with 2AA instead that would have been a pretty sweet light!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is from Coleman; so, I think they are holding the current down somewhat to prolong runtime, ala the new Inova T1. Can't really have one hour burntimes when camping. We'll see. Yeah, not a 4AAA fan either. If it was 2AA, using lithiums would allow it to be a kickass glovebox light, I'm thinking. So, how big is this sucker? Is it all aluminum? The exterior looks really cool, and it looks like it would have great hand feel.

mhubble

Enlightened
If it was 2AA, using lithiums would allow it to be a kickass glovebox light

Theyve got one. It will be out in MAY. Its listed on the website. I emailed them and asked when it was ready for order. Its a CREE, rated at 80 lumens. Red, white and blue leds.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theyve got one. It will be out in MAY. Its listed on the website. I emailed them and asked when it was ready for order. Its a CREE, rated at 80 lumens. Red, white and blue leds.

I saw that one, but it uses a Cree XR-C, not a Cree XR-E. The XR-C is no where near as efficient as the XR-E. I have no clue why they chose to put XR-C's in some of their new lights. I would imagine it is price, but I really wonder how much less expensive they are.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, will an 18650 fit inside of that light? Is there a couple mm of extra space in there by any chance seeing as how thick the light is... or is it just really thick walls?
I've been trying to decide which to get the 1 or the 2 CR123 light, and if 18650s go in I'll probably swing that way. I'm also looking at the 2xAA light and wondering how hard it will be to get inside the head for a bit of modding.
:grin2:

bspofford

Enlightened
Why would anybody spend $69.99 for a funky light with a Coleman label when they could buy a real light made by DereeLight, Lumapower, WolfEyes, JetBeam, or Fenix for a similar price??? Doesn't Coleman realize that their name suggests "cheap mass market junk" rather than "quality?"

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: Uh ... well ...

If you hadn't noticed , that's what half the people on here buy .

:rolleyes:

Edit/
And the ones you mentioned have been criticized on here for flaws too.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
Personally, I think that Coleman is going a long way towards changing that image. I have purchased a number of Coleman products over the last two years to bolster my preparedness gear. Nothing has disappointed me to date. Yes, there are improvements that could be made and things I might like to see done a little differently, but the products have all still ddelivered in a good way. There is nothing I would have returned.

The quality of their Exponent line of products have surprised me, and I keep seeing improvements with each product being released. I have also found that the company sems to be responsive to the suggestions made here. There is actaully a company representative who visits these forums fairly regularly, and I'd sure like to think we'd make him welcome and work with him rather than giving him an incentive to leave.

Does Coleman mass market? Absolutely. But they are also targeting a more upscale market with the Exponent line. This new line of flashlights appears to ge a good example, and I am currently waiting for a one cell version of the light to be delivered for evaluation. If Colman's pattern of delivering new products with incremental improvements each time continues they just may be giving some of the more well known manufacturers a run for their money.

bspofford

Enlightened
But don't you think this light would be more appropriately priced at $29.99 rather than $69.99? You can get a really nice light for that price! If you had a DereeLight CL1H, Olight T20 Q5, JetBeam Jet-I Pro R2, Fenix P3D Premium, and Fenix T1 sitting on a table with this Coleman, would you ever seriously consider taking this over any of the others?

GreySave

Enlightened
<< would you ever seriously consider taking this over any
of the others?>>

All of those companies were "new" to us at some point. Yet now they are considered as mainstays. Zebralight manufactures only two products, yet people are raving about them. Someone had to take that first leap of faith and buy their products to introduce them here. Once folks saw the initial reviews the lights caught on. Since I have not yet had the light in hand, your question is difficult to answer. The initial review certainly sounds positive. Suggesting that it should cost only $29 because it is from Coleman without ever handling the light doesn't seem quite fair, and I cannot agree with that premise at this time. Once I have a chance to handle the light I may change my mind. The fact that one out of two of these lights reviewed so far was defective is certainly a concern.

Would I consider taking it over the others at $69? Absolutely if it suited my needs, was of decent quality, and delivered as promised. The price is a subjective item. Here again, Coleman products have been good to me. They may not be top of the line within the camping world, but they were worth the money and have served me well. Perhaps you have had an opposite experience and that is reflected in your comments. There's nothing wrong with that if that is the case. I just found rejecting the light based upon the Coleman name only to be a curious position to take.

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
But don't you think this light would be more appropriately priced at $29.99 rather than $69.99? You can get a really nice light for that price! If you had a DereeLight CL1H, Olight T20 Q5, JetBeam Jet-I Pro R2, Fenix P3D Premium, and Fenix T1 sitting on a table with this Coleman, would you ever seriously consider taking this over any of the others?

PM me with your address and personal info if you would like. I will send you one and then you decide. All I can say is the lights we put out today have nothing to do with the lighst sold at Coleman even 2 years ago.

As for $29.99 lights with an XRE in them...hmm, you will find them in July at a major retailer...

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:... Boy , Blacklight .....

That's quite an offer that can't be beat .. :thumbsup:

That should give "bspofford" something to think about !

...... :twothumbs what a come-back :twothumbs

:D I'm impressed !!!

bspofford

Enlightened
I own just about every flashlight currently available, so I have a lot of lights for comparison. I'll leave some honest comments on this light when I have had a chance to see it myself. I have advised several manufacturers to send a copy of their new lights to Mev at LightReviews. His reviews are detailed, objective and provide great marketing if the "mousetrap" is really better.