Surefire E2DL single output model (w/beamshots and runtime)

Chao

Enlightened
E2DL-1.jpg
E2DL-2.jpg

This E2DL is single output model, I bought this from batteryjunction, thanks Matt for sell this light:twothumbs. The new E2DL use TIR optics instead of reflector, the beam pattern looks as same as KX2 or E1B.

E2DL-4.jpg
E2Ds.jpg

Size comparison to Fenix TK10, E2L (w/KX2) and E2D, the size looks just like E2L, but with strike Bezel and scalloped tailcap.

Output: I did ceiling bounce test, and estimated the total output is around 140 lumens, this was not tested by light box, so may be not correct, you can take a look at this thread for more output information https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/196472

Lux reading at 1 meter: 6700 lux, (other references: P3DQ5 3480 lux, TK10 8220 lux)

5m beamshots
P3DQ5-5m.jpg
E2DL-5m.jpg
TK10-5m.jpg

10m beamshots
P3DQ5-10m.jpg
E2DL-10m.jpg
TK10-10m.jpg

Runtime
CPF-E2DLruntime.jpg

E2DL-5.jpg

After seeing the picture above, I think most of you know why I bought this single output model E2DL:devil:, yes, I have McGizimo 2-stage tail cap, and this is my dual-output E2DL just twist it for different brightness.

This new E2DL is a nice light:thumbsup:, more than 120 lum through the TIR lens is really cool, strong throw with useful spill, and I think I will still get the 5/120 lum dual-output version.

--5/26 update--
Add the picture of E2DL with Z61 tailcap and the size compare to L1 (Cree)
E2DL-6.jpg

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chao! I am glad the 120 lumens translates to what looks like brighter spill than the e2l cree. I am looking forward to mine coming monday or tuesday. Thanks again.

seattlite

Enlightened
Great review. From your ceiling bounce test can your rank your lights in order of brightness.

Chao

Enlightened
Great review. From your ceiling bounce test can your rank your lights in order of brightness.

Hi seattlite, I am not really sure the numbers I estimated from ceiling bounce test are correct, unless I use light box and have a good standard to calibrate (like your 120P), but I observed the output was close to my P3D Q5, this can be confirmed by your data indirectly (E2DL vs P3D Rebel100):)

seattlite

Enlightened
Hi seattlite, I am not really sure the numbers I estimated from ceiling bounce test are correct, unless I use light box and have a good standard to calibrate (like your 120P), but I observed the output was close to my P3D Q5, this can be confirmed by your data indirectly (E2DL vs P3D Rebel100):)

I'm curious about your TK10. Which one is brighter, P3D Q5, E2DL or the TK10?

Thanks,
Richard

The TK10 actually looks quite throwy. I'd imagined a wider/smoother beam.

PS: It's funny how things in the room seem to appear and disappear depending on the light used. I wonder why the pumpkin and balloons are only visible with the P3D...:stupid:

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does the beam shape compare to the L1? the L1's beam is my only gripe about it..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

Chao

Enlightened
I'm curious about your TK10. Which one is brighter, P3D Q5, E2DL or the TK10?

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Rechard, the TK10 is brighter, in my scale, TK10 was estimated 170+ lum, and both E2DL and P3DQ5 were 140+ lum.

PS: It's funny how things in the room seem to appear and disappear depending on the light used. I wonder why the pumpkin and balloons are only visible with the P3D...:stupid:
I took my beamshots at different time, and the P3D Q5 was taken at last Halloween:D

Chao

Enlightened
how does the beam shape compare to the L1? the L1's beam is my only gripe about it..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

Hi Crenshaw, in my observation, the E2DL hot spot is a little smaller and tighter than the L1, the beam shape looks like KX2, and just brighter.

2007L15m.jpg
E2DL-5m.jpg
2008E2L-5m.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing the picture above, I think most of you know why I bought this single output model E2DL:devil:, yes, I have McGizimo 2-stage tail cap, and this is my dual-output E2DL just twist it for different brightness.

Question: does the 2-stage tailcap work on your E2DL? Which model do you have? Would THIS tailcap work?

Chao

Enlightened
Question: does the 2-stage tailcap work on your E2DL? Which model do you have? Would THIS tailcap work?

Yes, the 2-stage tailcap works well on my E2DL, there are different types of tailcap from the shop can fit E-series light, I use flat style plus 15 ohm resistor, the low-level I read is about 1400 lux at 1meter and estimated about 40 lum.

My 2-stage tailcap setup:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_58&products_id=963
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_58&products_id=556

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today. Nice job sf! White tint, good output. Chao, how does it compare to your new olight 2aa in overall output?

Chao

Enlightened
I received mine today. Nice job sf! White tint, good output. Chao, how does it compare to your new olight 2aa in overall output?

Mine has white tint too:), and if compare to my Olight T25 2aa, E2DL is brighter. The beamshots may not easy to tell, but I see the difference by ceiling bounce test.
T25-10m.jpg
E2DL-10m.jpg

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I think I will just keep buying 123a's for the E2dL then.... Thanks also for the quick response.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the 2-stage tailcap works well on my E2DL, there are different types of tailcap from the shop can fit E-series light, I use flat style plus 15 ohm resistor, the low-level I read is about 1400 lux at 1meter and estimated about 40 lum.

My 2-stage tailcap setup:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_58&products_id=963
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_58&products_id=556

Interesting - does anyone know how the two-level E2DL is implemented from the factory? It sounds like it's in the head?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it's a toggle function in the heads circuit - on once for high (or low - not sure which is first) and off/on again for high. From SF : "Two-stage tailcap switch: press for momentary-on at high setting, release and press again (within two seconds) for momentary-on at low setting; click for constant-on at high-setting, click off and click on again (within two seconds) for constant-on at low setting" While they say 2 stage tailcap I think the function has to be in the head.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it's a toggle function in the heads circuit - on once for high (or low - not sure which is first) and off/on again for high. From SF : "Two-stage tailcap switch: press for momentary-on at high setting, release and press again (within two seconds) for momentary-on at low setting; click for constant-on at high-setting, click off and click on again (within two seconds) for constant-on at low setting" While they say 2 stage tailcap I think the function has to be in the head.

That was my guess as well.

Any reason an LED light like this won't work with a 2-stage tailcap implementing a low level with a simple resistor???