1st post, help a brutha out !!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

And ya, avoid the Luxeon I and Luxeon III lights when there are Cree XR-E, Seoul and Rebel alternatives. The older Luxeons aren't bad but they just aren't bright enough.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard!

FYI, you might find that L2S to be a pretty decent performer. I picked one up a couple of months ago from fenix-store.com for modding purposes, and discovered it was a good deal brighter than I expected. It was noticeably brighter than my original L2T, which it shouldn't have been. Sadly, the next one I bought was back to expected performance levels (about 25-30% less bright).

But you never know - you might have gotten a gem there as well. Here's my discussion of my experience:
Whoa ... is it just me, or did the Fenix L2S suddenly get a lot brighter? BEAMSHOTS!

Saiga

Enlightened
No worries Art, no one forced me to order the light, i wouldn't just screw the guy and refuse delivery. It came this a.m. (surprisingly) by U.S. mail. it's way smaller & lighter than i expected,and looks to be great quality. I've been playing with it in darkened rooms, up against my 2AA 1 watt luxeon from sportsmanguide/guidegear (that i remain happy with). The color of the fenix is much whiter than the (previously un-noticed) slightly yellow tint of my other light. When shined (shone?) on the ceiling, the outer circles are identical in size, the inner beam is more concentrated on the fenix. The overall brightness is also, to my eye, identical ( 40 vs. 45 lumens on the L2S) . Keep in mind i haven't been outside in the dark shining it across the street yet. bottom line, to my undeveloped noob eye, it looks like a cool toy for $31 bucks. Yet, the thought of another 100+ lumens definately has my interest.
By the way, this 4sevens you refer to, is he from the fenix-store ( where i got this light) ?
And thanks again one and all for the responses and welcomes, i am,and have been a member of numerous forums covering everything from AK-47's to bicycle racing, and this has been the coolest bunch of them all. !!:thumbsup:

LightScene

Enlightened
I'd contact 4sevens before I did that. He is another CPF member, and a small business owner. He gives CPF members a discount, he ships quickly, and he is always helping customers out. If you just refuse delivery, he is going to have to pay delivery to you, and also delivery from your address to his. If you contact him he very well may say "it's OK, send it back I'll send you a Rebel for the difference in price". Maybe he won't. In any case, I'd feel better if I asked before did something that was going to cost somebody else some money.:)
Here's what I said: "call fenix-store and cancel your order and refuse delivery of the L1S". I didn't suggest to refuse delivery without first canceling the order. Refusing delivery just means you don't have to go to any trouble to send it back. It's a normal procedure. You will still get billed for the return shipping.

This is a more ethical solution than taking delivery, playing with the light for a couple of weeks and then returning it.

Last edited:

Latest posts