2 Cell Incan Mag Hotwire Thrower - ROP or Mag74?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to build a nice practical 2 cell Mag in a C size body, and I want a nice throws beam pattern. I already have a 2D Mag 1909 for pure practical power, so this one is geared for smaller size, fewer batteries, and a nice throwy beam. Unfortunately I recently had to sacrifice my M6 w/ LF HO-M6R, so this is to replace that light.

Which would be the better choice for this - the Mag ROP, or a Mag74 using a WA 1274 bulb and 2x26650 IMRs.

I'm leaning towards the Mag74 right now due to being able to use the big IMRs (runtime), as well as the low risk of instaflash. Plus, I already have a bi-pin holder to use for the bulb. And, the bulbs are cheap.....

Will the ROP have that much more output? Which would have a nicer (and throwier) beam?

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Rich

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two 18650s in a purple 2C.

Norm
Hmmmmm....you are making me re-think the Mag74 thing...the Mag11 would be shorter since you can use a tail cap mod (narrower batteries), close to the same capacity as the big IMRs (3100 vs 3500), weighs less due to smaller batts, don't have to bore the battery tube, about 100 more lumens (but almost a full amp more draw..)

So, do you have to run some of the voltage out or "rest" your batteries to avoid instaflash? That is still a pretty big concern I have.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A- To use pair of protected 18650 cells in 2C M*g, tail cap must be modified or replaced with deep one and use PVC tube. this setup is excellent for WA1111 with acceptable run time but will not power up ROP HO. However can be used with 3854 ROP LO and WA1274 if reduced output is acceptable.

B- To use pair of IMR 26500 cells in 2C M*g, inside barrel must be bored out to about 27mm. This setup is good for WA1274 or 3853 ROP bulbs but too risky for WA1111 and 3854 ROP bulbs. Also short run time since IMR 26500 cells are rated about 2300mAh if you have some.

C- To use pair of protected 25500 cells in 2C M*g, tail cap must be modified or replaced with wide one. This setup is good for 3854 ROP bulbs and WA1111 If you already have AW's protected C cells. Other protected 25500 cells may or may not power up high drain bulbs with single click. Also not much longer run time since they are rated at 3300 mAh.

D- To use pair of IMR 18650 in 2C M*g, you may or may not need modified cap or deep cap but still too risky for 3854 ROP and WA1111. No need to mention about unpractical short run time.

E- If short run time is accepted, 3 IMR 18350 in PVC tube will work with WA1185 but needs minor modification to tail spring.

Please note that all statements are based on healty and fully recharged cells and based on my experience. You are more than welcome to do otherwise.

For any of above options, aluminum reflector and Borofloat lens is recommended while for bi-pin bulbs, hi temp socket such as PR to bi-pin socket or MC socket is required.

I would go with option A

Please let us know what you would go with and how you like it when done.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A- To use pair of protected 18650 cells in 2C M*g, tail cap must be modified or replaced with deep one and use PVC tube. this setup is excellent for WA1111 with acceptable run time but will not power up ROP HO. However can be used with 3854 ROP LO and WA1274 if reduced output is acceptable.

B- To use pair of IMR 26500 cells in 2C M*g, inside barrel must be bored out to about 27mm. This setup is good for WA1274 or 3853 ROP bulbs but too risky for WA1111 and 3854 ROP bulbs. Also short run time since IMR 26500 cells are rated about 2300mAh if you have some.

C- To use pair of protected 25500 cells in 2C M*g, tail cap must be modified or replaced with wide one. This setup is good for 3854 ROP bulbs and WA1111 If you already have AW's protected C cells. Other protected 25500 cells may or may not power up high drain bulbs with single click. Also not much longer run time since they are rated at 3300 mAh.

D- To use pair of IMR 18650 in 2C M*g, you may or may not need modified cap or deep cap but still too risky for 3854 ROP and WA1111. No need to mention about unpractical short run time.

E- If short run time is accepted, 3 IMR 18350 in PVC tube will work with WA1185 but needs minor modification to tail spring.

Please note that all statements are based on healty and fully recharged cells and based on my experience. You are more than welcome to do otherwise.

For any of above options, aluminum reflector and Borofloat lens is recommended while for bi-pin bulbs, hi temp socket such as PR to bi-pin socket or MC socket is required.

I would go with option A

Please let us know what you would go with and how you like it when done.

Thanks for the detailed input on options Fivemega! Based on your and Norm's suggestions, I've decided to go with the Mag11. Just too many benefits to that build, and I don't have to send off a tube to get bored like I was going to with the Mag74.

Thanks all! I'll try to post a beamshot compared to a couple of my other incans when I get it done.