2 n 1 lights help my find one please

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
Hey flashaholic buds. I have been around for a long time here (08). This is a question I have asked in the past. I am seeing a lot of new options out there in this regard, but of the two I purchased. Quality is suckin on these type of lights.

I am a road Conductor on the railroad. As, such I often find myself walking 2 to 4 miles of train, at night in the middle of nowhere. The issued lantern's are OK but heavy, bulky, and often like trying to perform surgery with a machete.

I have always been on a quest to find a modern replacement. Both to be more user friendly and help reduce the weight of my working grip (tool bag).

What I am looking for is something 400lm+ that is a two n one, torch/inspection (signal) light. I have a Black n Decker that recently broke. Also some odd named deal I got at Menards that is just a inspection light also broke.

The basic of what I need is a combo light for normal nighttime activities looking at rolling stock, looking foward while riding moving equipment, checking switches. And a light I can signal my hoghead (engineer) with, or working on equipment problems. Extra credit for spot/flood capabilities on the flashlight end. Magnetic is good. Brighter is better. Extra credit for rechargeable. Ideally the inspection part of the light would wrap around the light 360 deg. I am steering away from the snap on baton's. Just another thing to lose on the ground or in my already overcrowded grip.

If you all just throw out some suggestion's. I can research them myself.

Thanks in advance
hangn

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at Streamlight.
They are popular with first responders and firemen in particular and make several lights designed to both highlight and/or cut through smoke depending on the situation.
The Knucklehead is the one that jumps out at me here.

I know they make both spot and flood versions of the same lights in the lineup too.

I am afraid you will need 2 separate lights to really do each job well here but the at least you should be able to find 2 that each will do it well too!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have fixed many of the Nebo twist lights. They will free spin and bind up the wires. It is a easy fix, but still a pain. Decent light once you are aware of how to use it carefully or fix it. The magnet will also fall off the back eventually. All you need is some alcohol and good quality gel super glue to fix that.
Once you are aware of the issues, and all lights can have them, it is a good light. Shop around. Ironically, our local Snap On man used to sell them on his truck. I would get them broken from him cheap. All were a easy 2 or 3 solder fix. All still working to my knowledge.

What about getting a light with a good diffuser? Or would that be lost??

LensLight? You can get zoom and some flood.
Streamlight?

I would have one on my person at all times. Most likely a holster or pocket clip set up.

With your job, and lights being important, I would likely carry multiple. So I suggest perhaps considering that. I am sure you have though.
I agree with AVService, it is gonna be hard to get it all in one.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what I'm understanding of your post, take a look at any of these Eagletac models; GX30A3D, SX30A6-D, SX30L2DR, or the DX30 series. They have a built in diffuser flood light as well as a spot light. I love the Eagletacs I have/had.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since AVService mentioned Streamlight, I thought I would "throw out" the Streamlight 3AA ProPolymer Dualie, which DOES have both (spot and flood) capabilities, in ONE light!

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I had this great big post written then I looked at those eagletac's. Hmmmm. I am trying to find a shot of the candle/diffuser lit from a distance?

I think I will pull the trigger on the GX30L2DR . Anyone know of any coupon codes or sales? The best price I can find is $144

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure unless I see something else Gonna go with the Eagletac.

Mostly I was looking for a good edc type. But also with signaling capabilities.

RR signals work like this. Circling the arm 360 deg top to bottom full circle (like a softball pitch) = back up. Swinging the arm like a pendulum = Stop. Swinging the arm up and down= go foward. Swinging the arm above your head (reverse pendulum) =slow down. And finally back and forth across you chest. Red Zone (going in between cars to do work).

It's hard to do this with directional lighting. I would need to aim the beam at my Engineer throughout the entire signal (requires creative wrist skills). Hence the RR lantern. Baton's would work but are not sturdy (typically).

The EagleTac seems to have all of the features I'm looking for, not the least of which is changing modes with winter gloves on. The only real unknown is at what distance the diffuser, the signal can be easily viewed?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure unless I see something else Gonna go with the Eagletac.

Mostly I was looking for a good edc type. But also with signaling capabilities.

RR signals work like this. Circling the arm 360 deg top to bottom full circle (like a softball pitch) = back up. Swinging the arm like a pendulum = Stop. Swinging the arm up and down= go foward. Swinging the arm above your head (reverse pendulum) =slow down. And finally back and forth across you chest. Red Zone (going in between cars to do work).

It's hard to do this with directional lighting. I would need to aim the beam at my Engineer throughout the entire signal (requires creative wrist skills). Hence the RR lantern. Baton's would work but are not sturdy (typically).

The EagleTac seems to have all of the features I'm looking for, not the least of which is changing modes with winter gloves on. The only real unknown is at what distance the diffuser, the signal can be easily viewed?

At what distances are you talking? You can use both the diffuser and spot beam together to increase distance and visibility.

Edit: it isn't the DX30 series that had the built in diffuser, its the P25LC2.

hangn_9

Newly Enlightened
At what distances are you talking?

Interesting question.

In the daylight there is only a certain distance in which we can observe meaningful motion of objects. In this case the engineer does not need to see what I am doing. Only what the light is doing. Working in a rail yard I am going back and forth between lit area's and unlit area's. In the lit area's I would need to be at a distance the Engineer could see meaningful movement from me. I would say somewhere between 100 and 200 yards. It would be in my best interest to keep that distance simuliar using a light. Otherwise I would occasionally be outside that distance. I would imagine if the only motion a person was focused on was a point of light that distance could be greater.

I think there is a thread on this under one of the searchlight threads.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question.

In the daylight there is only a certain distance in which we can observe meaningful motion of objects. In this case the engineer does not need to see what I am doing. Only what the light is doing. Working in a rail yard I am going back and forth between lit area's and unlit area's. In the lit area's I would need to be at a distance the Engineer could see meaningful movement from me. I would say somewhere between 100 and 200 yards. It would be in my best interest to keep that distance simuliar using a light. Otherwise I would occasionally be outside that distance. I would imagine if the only motion a person was focused on was a point of light that distance could be greater.

I think there is a thread on this under one of the searchlight threads.
I think this light will do what you need then without any problem

Poppy

Flashaholic
Maybe you need two lights.

I'll try this first....
Fenix pd35 as a general purpose use light.
I don't know the dimensions of their RED traffic diffuser, but this should fit that light.
[h=1]Fenix AOT-S Traffic Wand - Smal[/h]
On the other hand. you may want to get a dorcy traffic baton. Tney can be had where the RED is 12-14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. They can be seen in daylight, or at night when lit. THey run on two D cells. They are inexpensive.

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
I think this light will do what you need then without any problem
[h=1][/h]The P25LC2 would get my vote as well. You can turn on the diffuser ring alone to different brightness settings, or use only the main LED, or both at the same time. I do own the Nebo Twyst, and the design is very cool, but the main light is an underwhelming 315 lumens. It is also heavy, and the hotspot is unusually small (which is probably why they advertise Lux and not lumens). The lantern mode IS bright (250 lumens), and the way you twist the bezel to reveal it like iron man's arc reactor is nice, but I think your hand will get tired using this light for long.

ingineer

Newly Enlightened

Klarus FL 18
white, red and green lantern, very bright out the front. rechargeable, no magnet

Latest posts