200 Lumen Surefires versus 170 Lumen HDS EDC Tactical

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the HDS, but I can comment on the E2DL. I've been using a 6PL with Malkoff M60 at work (K9 handler at University). I had my E2DL on my AR15 and it hasn't gotten much use in the past year so I decided to switch things up.

I'm was very surprised the first time I switched on the E2DL on high mode. The beam travels forever it seems and there is just enough spill for my needs.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The Surefire will likely outhrow the Clicky, but have less useful spill.

I don't think there is a big practical difference between the two in terms of spill. At least it isn't obvious to me. I think there's less of a tradeoff here than there is even with max brightness. (I haven't looked for this as hard as I looked at brightness, but I did look and it really didn't leap out at me.) They are both optimized to be throwy lights with some sidespill. There is sufficient spill on either so that it can serve as a useful general purpose light. There is sufficient throw to spotlight stuff in the distance.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I think this light difference is more due to the HUGE reflector difference, as opposed to actual light difference......which applies here also(except with one optic)

What you're implying is I am looking at the hotspot and judging lux. I'm not.

I initially DID think I was, but when I put the 2 torches side by side I realised the spill area was near identical.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are great lights but I would pick the HDS first and then add the Surefire to my collection later. If I could only have a single light, it would be the HDS Clicky... I have been saying that for awhile now.

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
I can't help but think that in a situation where my safety may depend on it, I would trust a Surefire to always work. I'd feel even better if it had a couple sharp ends on it. ;)

My E2LD and/or my Scout weaponlight with the KX2C head are my hands down favorite beams. Since my intended use with a light is similar to yours, I can tell you the TIR optic sears retinas.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the HDS, for what that's worth.

stallion2

Enlightened
i've had the LX2 for nearly a year and a Clicky EDC 170 for a few months. i used the LX2 pretty much exclusively as my EDC and so long as you have the F04 diffuser its great for all-purpose use....but you'll still want the diffuser if using to execute a search warrant indoors. the Clicky has been my EDC since it arrived...its' the first single cell light that i really like...and by "really like" i mean obsessed. its pretty much perfect. for the first month i had it i still thought that if i could only keep one then i would keep the LX2 but i no longer feel that way.

as far as output goes, HDS seems to follow a lumens scale like that of Surefire. if we were to all agree that the E2DL or LX2 are 200 lumens then we would all likely agree that the Clicky 170 is 170 lumens. the sharper TIR beam somewhat skews the apparent difference but if you consciously factor for this difference then you'll see that their output is fairly close.

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
Amicus,

I have tried multiple times to respond to your PM and it just won't let me.

My repsonse is quoted below.

I really like the E2LD, and am still impressed with it after all this time (I got it when it came out), even after the purchase of some pretty high end weaponlights.

I carry it everyday and have seen no ill effect on my clothes. I wear business casual most the time, with the occasional tie. I wear some nice stuff, too, mostly dry clean only kinda stuff. I don't carry in the pocket, but on my belt at about 8 o'clock. I carry a different type of EDC on the right side pocket, which puts everything else in the left pocket. So, I'm lacking in pocket space. :)

I hope this helps, and would be happy to answer any more questions that you have. My name is Scott as well.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
BTW, is it completely fair to compare the HDS 170T to the E2DL 200lumen? The HDS isn't really 170 lumen - at least not for very long. The HDS is 170 lumens for 10 seconds, and then it drops down to 120 lumens. Now to me, this is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff, particularly for a single CR123a light like this. However, I feel it would be irresponsible not to point it out to the OP.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing the HDS - I'm not. I think what they are doing is smart, works extremely well, and in actual usage is a total non-issue, except it makes the battery life for this light better.

The SF, though, will deliver 200 lumens, for real, for close to 2 hours as I recall. If the lighting conditions under which you'll use this require that much light, you'd be better off with a SF. Examples: Searching a mostly dark apartment after walking in off the street during daylight. You're going to want all the light you can get I'd think, as this is about the worst possible case for your vision. On the other hand, if you are doing this stuff mostly at night, the HDS way is probably totally fine, and the light is much more versatile. (120 lumens is still lotsa light under most conditions.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if the HDS 170T is a replacement for an LX2 or an E2DL, at least not for a law enforcement officer. If you really seriously need full output from the light for an extended period, the HDS is not the right choice. (Most of us, however, really *don't* need full output for an extended period.)

I will say that in my opinion, it absolutely, and unequivocally beats the ever living hell out of the E1B though. (HDS is markedly superior in just about every way I can think of - brighter, has more modes, lower lows, and you won't drop it all the time like an E1B.) And for us civilians, yeah, for the most part it's going to be a better option than either the E2DL or the LX2.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for a person to buy both of them. I realize, though that it's a lot of money to do that.