2005 Ford Ranger/2013 Honda Fit HID suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lectraplayer

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to find a decent HID retrofit for my truck and my wife's car. What recommendations do you have for retrofits? I know I need dual beam kits for the headlights. What is glare like from these? I hate these drivers who uses 80/100 lamps due to glare. Are the 55 watt HIDs just as bad about glare as 80/100 halogen?Also, on my fog lights, what would I look for to find selective yellow?For the Honda, what do I need for the daytime running lights? Is it pretty much a relay?

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is no such thing as a "decent HID retrofit" for either of those vehicles -- they are all equally dangerous and illegal. The only legitimate HID retrofit is to install headlamps designed and constructed specifically as HID headlamps, and there are no such headlamps for either of the vehicles you mention. That means you cannot have HID headlamps on those vehicles. An "HID kit" in a halogen-bulb headlamp or fog/auxiliary lamp -- any kit/lamp/vehicle -- is extremely unsafe in multiple ways, which is why "HID kits" are illegal. There is a comprehensive article on the subject, with references, at this page. And 55w HID bulbs/ballasts are not legitimate (or safe, or legal) even in legitimate HID headlamps.

Daytime running lights can be added to a vehicle using several different methods. You can research what parts and/or computer settings are needed to activate the DRLs the way Canada-spec cars are, or you can get white LED DRLs for retrofitting from reputable manufacturers including Philips and Hella (or you can, but shouldn't, buy off-brand junk). Or you can put in a module like this to run the front turn signal lights as DRLs.

There are no selective-yellow fog light bulbs made in quality good enough to be worth messing with, and the fog lamps are basically useless and should almost never be turned on.

lectraplayer

Newly Enlightened
Illegal or not, I am seeing many OEM retrofits executed quite well, often producing far less glare than OEM halogen headlamps with more brightness. Most of these are F150s and Silverados though. Law enforcement tends not to bother anyone unless they are creating a problem somewhere.

Fog lights also takes proper execution, but they help greatly when properly applied. Simply throwing lamps on the front of a vehicle is usually counter effective.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Illegal or not

There's no "or not" about it.

I am seeing many OEM retrofits executed quite well

With all due respect, you're not seeing what you think you're seeing -- largely because the naked eye and an observer's subjective (and/or wishful) impressions are grossly inadequate/inappropriate tools for assessing headlight performance. And even if we could accurately evaluate headlamps by looking at them, there are serious headlamp safety performance factors, made wrong by installation of "HID kits" or "projector retrofits", that aren't immediately or intuitively obvious.

Law enforcement tends not to bother anyone unless they are creating a problem somewhere.

Often true, but not really relevant to this discussion. Vehicle lamps are life safety equipment. They have to work the way they're supposed to work according to objective criteria, not subjective "Yepper, looks good to me" types of guesses.

Fog lights also takes proper execution but they help greatly when properly applied.

For most drivers in most situations (and especially with high-performing headlamps), front fog lamps are basically useless, though many drivers do like the subjective impression of "better" lighting they get by turning on their fog lamps. Please read up on the matter (such as here) for referenced discussion on the matter of front fog lamps.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illegal or not, I am seeing many OEM retrofits executed quite well, often producing far less glare than OEM halogen headlamps with more brightness. Most of these are F150s and Silverados though.

Regardless of make, model, and trim level, there are no real decent "OEM retrofits" (unless you really mean that the complete headlamp assemblies from a "sister" car were mounted properly on the vehicle). When headlamps are "baked apart" and holes are cut in them and "OEM projectors" are squeezed in, that's not decent (and is not an "OEM retrofit"-- the term is something of an oxymoron, since it's not being done by the OEM, and if it were, it wouldn't be a "retrofit", merely a genuine replacement part).

Most people, when talking about "HID retrofits" and "OEM retrofits" typically head down the Morimoto road. That's not a road anyone would want to go down. The brands and models vary, the poor quality (and non-compliance with any performance standards) does not.

Law enforcement tends not to bother anyone unless they are creating a problem somewhere.

The thing is, law enforcement may either not KNOW that a problem is being created somewhere (it is), and may lack the ability to very readily defend a ticket if they write one and would rather not bother. The easier fish, not the bigger fish, are what they go after (burned out lamps, speeding, expired tags). With HID being factory equipment on so many vehicles, unless it's just obvious to them that something's wrong, they'll probably just be happy the fool has headlamps at all. Besides-- just as your own eye might see these retrofits as "improvements", maybe they are also seeing it the same way and the little warning bells don't go off for them. It doesn't mean that the lights ARE an improvement, but that's the funny thing about how we process the things we see, or think we see, or don't know we are not seeing.

Fog lights also takes proper execution, but they help greatly when properly applied.

Sadly, on modern vehicles with decent, properly-adjusted headlamps, front fog lamps really don't help greatly at all-- at best, they will not be detrimental to night driving performance. Still, they're a common option on cars, and people who love having all the bells and whistles typically want them. (Heck, I know they're useless toys at best, but sometimes I think I *still* want them!)

The best fog lamp is a *rear* fog lamp (which is red, of course, since it's rear-facing), since they help prevent the somewhat common occurrence of rear-endings in the fog (when the person with *front* fog lamps thinks the lights magically enable them to see in thick fog at night exactly as well as they can see in broad daylight without any atmospheric disturbance).

Simply throwing lamps on the front of a vehicle is usually counter effective.
This is actually true.

There are so many ways to optimize your headlamps without spending a whole lot of money. The first two things are absolutely free: Make sure your windshield is clean, inside and out, and keep the dash lights dim.

Going from there, if you can get them aimed at a shop with an optical beamsetter (and by someone trained to use it) that will also help.

The headlamps themselves, especially on the 2005, may be quite degraded by now. If you can see the degradation (by looking at the lens and seeing yellowing or clouding), they're seriously degraded. Sadly, the only way to fix that is replacement with a genuine factory part. (Someday, when I have enough money to actually BUY a new car, I'm going to order another set of headlamps and store them in a cool, dry place.)

And, of course, installing relays (information here) can be another great upgrade if testing bears out that your headlamps need them.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many ways to optimize your headlamps without spending a whole lot of money. The first two things are absolutely free: Make sure your windshield is clean, inside and out, and keep the dash lights dim.

I drive a car where the windshield fogs up a bit over a period of about three months. What is a good way to get this off? It wipes of with a clean dry cloth, but that would take a lot of clean, dry cloths. I guess I answered my own question.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drive a car where the windshield fogs up a bit over a period of about three months. What is a good way to get this off? It wipes of with a clean dry cloth, but that would take a lot of clean, dry cloths. I guess I answered my own question.

Newspaper or coffee filters... Microfiber cloths can be washed and reused, of course.

It's all the plastics in cars that outgas and fog it up-- it seems like a never-ending battle.

lectraplayer

Newly Enlightened
I know as you talk about headlights being life safety, I would begin by banning many OEM lighting systems due to inadequate lighting vs excessive glare. I commonly see well executed HID retrofitted F150s and Silverados (both early 2000, mostly OEM except the retrofit) which drastically outperform current production Nissan Altima lighting (by Nissan) both in brightness and glare. If we are discussing life safety here, why is such a hazard allowed to exist? While I like Nissan and hate Chevy, I certainly see other examples, but these are the most common. I find it strange that a factory built (and DOT approved) sedan with lights less than 1 meter above pavement has more glare than a non-DOT approved modded mud truck with lights 2 meters up (headlights, not KC lights, though a lot of OEM sedans seem to out glare KC Lights.)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I know as you talk about headlights being life safety, I would begin by banning many OEM lighting systems due to inadequate lighting vs excessive glare.

The regulations do allow a large range of performance. If what you mean is that it would be good for the regulations to be tightened up more often than they are, so the minimum required performance keeps pace with the gradual advancement of what's reasonably possible, then I agree with you. However, it doesn't sound like that's what you mean. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you would want to declare compliant systems inadequate just based on your subjective judgment of them as "inadequate". As for excessive glare: it's annoying, but good quality scientific research keeps on showing (and showing...and showing...and showing) that headlamps compliant with the US regulations as they presently exist aren't causing safety problems, and in fact that regulations elsewhere in the world are probably too glare-averse in their low beam aim specifications, if the goal is to minimize traffic-related deaths and injuries.

I commonly see well executed HID retrofitted F150s and Silverados

Sorry, no, you do not -- and no amount of your repeating this bogus claim will make it true. Not only is there no such thing as a "well executed HID retrofit" such as you have in mind, but even if there were, the acceptability of a headlamp's performance cannot be assessed subjectively.

which drastically outperform current production Nissan Altima lighting (by Nissan) both in brightness and glare.

Headlamps can't be compared subjectively like this, either.

If we are discussing life safety here, why is such a hazard allowed to exist?

It's good to see you acknowledge that "HID retrofits" are a safety hazard, even while it contradicts your claim that they're "well executed".

While I like Nissan and hate Chevy

This is an excellent illustration of why subjective opinions such as yours cannot carry any weight. You would have us accept your evaluations of something as complex and intricate as headlamp photometrics and human visual performance, yet you proudly state that you judge automobiles good and bad based on the nameplate.

I find it strange that a factory built (and DOT approved) sedan

There is no such thing as "DOT approval". You appear to completely misunderstand how the rules work.

with lights less than 1 meter above pavement has more glare than a non-DOT approved modded mud truck with lights 2 meters up

The hard truth is that you "find it strange" because, simply, you do not know what you are looking at or talking about, and you are substituting guesses and assumptions and preferences for the facts you do not understand (and seem to not want to understand).

The even harder truth is that you are wrong no matter how much you want to be right. It would be no big deal if the only life's safety involved was your own, but ill-advised hacks such as "HID retrofits" affect everyone sharing your road space -- and even if you're selfish enough to not care about that, one would hope you would at least not deliberately endanger your own wife.

The lighting modifications/products you're asking about and recommending are illegal and unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity. You were given the opportunity to take this discussion in a productive direction. You chose not to do so, and for that reason this thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.