Brinkmann 3W "Scroll" flashlight

Chao

Enlightened
For submission in the Reviews forum

Brinkmann-1.jpg
Brinkmann-5.jpg

Hi, I recently bought this Brinkmann 3W Cree LED, 3xAAA light, it's not expensive ($17 USD), people in the US can find it at Target store:) .

Brinkmann-4.jpg

Because this light uses plastic material, so it's not heavy, the most important feature of this light is the "Scroll switch", you just need scroll the switch to turn flashlight on and for brighter light from 0.5W to 3W, very easy to operate.

Brinkmann-2.jpg

It uses OP reflector and Cree XR-E LED.

This light is bright; I estimated 100 total lumens approximately in beginning, throw is good, lux readings at 1meter are:
Max level
7220 lux (alkaline)
6330 lux (NiMH)

Low level
1640 lux (alkaline)

Show beamshots below (all using alkaline batteries) and compared to Feix L2DQ5 and Led lenser (TT7438) :

5m shots
L2DQ5-5m.jpg
coast5m.jpg
BrinkmanScroll-5m.jpg

10m shots
L2DQ5-10m.jpg
coast10m.jpg
BrinkmanScroll-10m.jpg

Low level 10m beamshot compared to NuwaiQIII:devil:
Q310m.jpg
BrinkScroll-low10m.jpg

also runtimes:
Brinkmann-runtime.jpg

runtimes with either alkaline or NiMH batteries were performed just as expected.

7/26 updated---
Brinkmann-runtime-low.jpg

With low level (0.5W I think), I got about 9.5 h nice performance.

I like this cheap light, the bad thing of this light is no water proof, but this doesn't bother me, I still have a lot of fun with this light:)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looks nice.

Price and performance are both pretty good.

I wished they used 2 C batteries instead but that would raise the cost.

I wonder how much heatsinking is in that light.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
take it apart ..lets see those guts and what makes it tick :naughty:

i think with better heatsinking in custom mag that would be sweet and the variable circuit looks like a good modders piece

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you should post run time plots and beam shots with the lower modes.
I am looking for a ~10 Lumen night stand light that runs for around 5-10 hours... but it MUST have good color rendition and under $20. So, I'm looking at low current Cree, Seoul and Rebel based lights... as well as the long running Nichias

Nice review overall though, its definitely got a tight hot spot.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will def need to check it out.......the next time im at Target. Nice review....where do you install the batts, do you take the front out or is it at the end.

MorePower

Enlightened
take it apart ..lets see those guts and what makes it tick :naughty:

i think with better heatsinking in custom mag that would be sweet and the variable circuit looks like a good modders piece

My guess is that it isn't a circuit at all, just a rheostat..

Chao

Enlightened
Brinkmann-6.jpg

The heat is just exhausted from those holes, I think it's efficient, but sure, no waterproof:devil:.

Brinkmann-7.jpg

Battery holder and tailcap. This is what I can take this light apart without tools:)

you should post run time plots and beam shots with the lower modes.
I am looking for a ~10 Lumen night stand light that runs for around 5-10 hours... but it MUST have good color rendition and under $20. So, I'm looking at low current Cree, Seoul and Rebel based lights... as well as the long running Nichias

Nice review overall though, its definitely got a tight hot spot.

I will do low level runtime test and beamshots and post them later.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you do a low-level runtime test, you should begin at an output level of a certain percentage of max, say 10% or 25%, then when you compare the runtimes you can roughly ascertain how lossy the dimming circuit is.

Last edited:

LEDrock

Enlightened
If only this had been a 2AA light instead of 3AAA, I would be one who says I'm getting one. Why do manufacturers insist on a 3AAA format anyway? The Coleman 3AAA made me pause, but then they came out with a 2AA. Now I'm looking closer at it!

Illum

Flashaholic
flashlight companies are becoming very creative these days. I remember building a LED cluster with a trim pot to adjust the light output, this concept sounds familiar. Its a pretty good compromise for people who either cannot operate programmed modes or simply prefer a "dimmer" switch:)

Perhaps its the principal design feature that prevents the unit being anywhere near waterproof they decided to cut vent holes on the side, much to the similarity of Inova's Radiant series.:whistle:

MorePower said:
My guess is that it isn't a circuit at all, just a rheostat..

the runtime graph reminds me of a so called "semi regulated" output. for all we know there may be a DC-DC step up circuit in it as 3AAA+resistor lights usually have a more even discharge curve than this.

CREE, Orange Peel...heck! no more artifacts!:nana:

HKJ

Flashaholic
If your look at the photos, it looks like the light contains a circuit board.
With 3 cells, it does not need a step up or step down circuit, but it needs something for the regulation, maybe a pwm circuit?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the pics of where the batts go.....dont think this light will do at all since it needs to have some kind of water resistance.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the pics of where the batts go.....dont think this light will do at all since it needs to have some kind of water resistance.

Chao

Enlightened
Brinkmann-runtime-low.jpg

This is the low level runtime graph I just done, 9.5h performance, not bad, the total output looks like around 20 lumens (20% of Max), the lux reading in low was 1640 lux, I will take low level beamshot later.

can you measure the length of the cell-caddy?
I wonder if that light will support an 18650 or 18500 cell for extended run times and output?

:

The length of cell-caddy is 52mm, my 18500 fits very well, but the (+) and (-) end of this battery-caddy were organized at the same side toward the flashlight head, so still can not works with a 18500.

MorePower

Enlightened
the runtime graph reminds me of a so called "semi regulated" output. for all we know there may be a DC-DC step up circuit in it as 3AAA+resistor lights usually have a more even discharge curve than this.

Pictures were posted after I did, so I hadn't seen the circuit board through the slots in the side of the light.

Based on the low level runtime plot, I'd say PWM is likely, but the high output curve with alkaline cells is a typical direct drive curve. Without opening the light, we can't be 100% sure, but I'd be very surprised to see a boost circuit in this light. 3AAA is virtually always direct drive, especially in less expensive lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
perhaps the switch design of this light [I.E. the rheostat] of the light is consuming more current/voltage than the LED can downrange?

dunno, I looked around in my target and didn't see anything like it:candle:
someone crack the egg open so we can see if its a chicken or a rabbit inside it :popcorn:

Latest posts