coast power chip tactical 149 lumens 120hr runtime??

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this or any of their products?? 149 lumens with 120hr runtime is kinda hard to believe! are they accurate at 149 or with the 120hr.?? www.coastcutlery.com power chip tactical says it runs on three AAA's

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, it's false advertising. Coast is well known for that. Max output will only last about 30 minutes on alkaline, and around 2 hours on NiMH cells. Their "120 hours" comes from the point at which the circuit ceases to function, which is a barely visible glow.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Yep. Coast is pretty much the absolute WORST in over estimating both lumens and runtime on their products.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well I won't say false advertising since they don't state how useful the light will be at 120 hours. I'd say greatly misleading the customer.

With 3 AAA lights, don't expect more then 2 hours of runtime to 50% on good rechargeable batteries.

149 lumen might be at the LED lumen. Seeing as they use an optic, it is probably above 100 lumen out the front(assuming the 149 lumen is right).

It might seem brighter then it is because it probably has a lack of spill and a focused hotspot.

Coast seems to have increased their quality from what I've read but their runtime are still quite misleading and some of their lights are overpriced for what you get.

pipspeak

Enlightened
149 lumens with 120hr runtime

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Oh if it were true... as others have said, the emitter might be emitting something after 120 hours but you'd need a magnifying glass to measure it. Now, if it were attached to a car battery I might believe it.

I wish we could report clearly misleading claims like these to some sort of advertising standards body but here in the US at least there seems to be no-one regulating anything anymore.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys this is what i thought, but i figured i would ask the experts. i was wanting another light to keep in the truck for back-up that had a real good run time, but still had a decent amount of light. apperantly that isn't it so i think im going to go with the fenix p3d q5 thanks for the help

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I would lay the blame for those lies - and yes, lies is what I call such marketing - on the shoulders of LedLenser as they are the ones producing those lights, not Coast.
LedLenser is well known for their BS marketing.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Btw ... Fenix uses false advertising as well. Their lumen numbers are BS. But once you know that, at least we do have runtime graphs.
bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this or any of their products??

I used to own a handful of Coast lights. Now I only own one.... just waiting to see how long before this last one breaks down too.

kts

Enlightened
My 3AAA V-tac turns out to be hard to kill, I used it every day for 1 year on nightshift, its only a lowly luxeon, but still outthrows my L2D Q5, because it uses an exellent optic. :twothumbs

It does what its supposed to do, bring light, and has done every time I wanted it to, what more do you want?

Its not regulated, I dont care, I recharge the batts once a week...:p

Metatron

Banned
never mind the bs about claims, led lenser make great stuff, never let me down once as opposed to my surefires, which work intermittently!
BTW : SF claim to make torches.:rant: now theres a claim. thats why everyone breaks their necks trying to mod them instead of getting a real torch in the first place.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
never mind the bs about claims, led lenser make great stuff, never let me down once as opposed to my surefires, which work intermittently!
BTW : SF claim to make torches.:rant: now theres a claim. thats why everyone breaks their necks trying to mod them instead of getting a real torch in the first place.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your Surefire lights. I personally don't like some of their business practices, but must admit that only one out of my 10 Surefire lights ever failed to work properly. (A brand new G2 model that came with a blown bulb from the factory). The problem was easily corrected. If your Surefires aren't working properly, give Surefire a phone call. They should be covered under warranty.

Seven of my ten Surefire lights are completely stock. As for the other three, one is a G2 with an older style Novatac clip and a thick O-ring below the tailcap. Another is a Leef-bodied M4. (2x18650 C tail - M head body). I'm running a Surefire MN61 in it. The last is my C2 w/ Malkoff M60 drop-in.

For those times when I need a ton of light, there's my stock Surefire M6.
500 Lumens out the front. Definitely a real torch. :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those claims are absolute ... well you know what. I'd love to see a light that can do 149 lumens on 1.25 Watts.
And yes everyone knows that the runtime is utter nonsense. I guarantee that the led won't even be glowing after 100 hours.

Myself I avoid almost any light that runs of of 3 AAAs like the plague. Coast stuff isn't all terribad however their marketing is. Some of their lights have been decent quality, but generally not a good value. The lights are often priced up there with the better lights but none of them that I have yet experienced have been up to par.
LED Lenser does have some ambitious plans for new lights coming out soon. So we can only hope they continue to grow and improve tehir products and someday learn to market more honestly.

Metatron

Banned
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your Surefire lights. I personally don't like some of their business practices, but must admit that only one out of my 10 Surefire lights ever failed to work properly. (A brand new G2 model that came with a blown bulb from the factory). The problem was easily corrected. If your Surefires aren't working properly, give Surefire a phone call. They should be covered under warranty.

Seven of my ten Surefire lights are completely stock. As for the other three, one is a G2 with an older style Novatac clip and a thick O-ring below the tailcap. Another is a Leef-bodied M4. (2x18650 C tail - M head body). I'm running a Surefire MN61 in it. The last is my C2 w/ Malkoff M60 drop-in.

For those times when I need a ton of light, there's my stock Surefire M6.
500 Lumens out the front. Definitely a real torch. :)
no doubt what so ever, the M6 is a great torch.
the one LL i use regularly is called the 'David' a rechargeable torch with a 14550 battery. focusable and shone bright enough to inspect 5 roof voids a day back then, so at least 4 hours of respectable shine in it. doesnt get much better i reckon.

Rookie 101

Newly Enlightened
no doubt what so ever, the M6 is a great torch.
the one LL i use regularly is called the 'David' a rechargeable torch with a 14550 battery. focusable and shone bright enough to inspect 5 roof voids a day back then, so at least 4 hours of respectable shine in it. doesnt get much better i reckon.

you are right!!!:thumbsup: