Surefire LX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smu616

Newly Enlightened
Incase anyone cares, Surfire is listing the LX2 on their website now. Can't order directly from them yet but says its availible through their retailers.

Shane

Joe18

Newly Enlightened
I might have some money here pretty soon and I'm either getting one of these or a G2L with a malkoff M60L. I have to admit that I'm leaning on the LX2 because of the size, modes, and overall coolness factor. Any body have one yet?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the heads up. Looking at the specs, it's shorter than the L2, isn't it? Definitely a nicer light than my L2. I see that the low level is 15 'SF' lumens. Too high, as usual, especially for what the TIR hotspot is like at close range (like for map reading, etc).:rant:
Maybe the low will be more appropriate on 1x17670...?:tinfoil:

Edit: I see that they are claiming 'waterproof to 1m' rather than 'weatherproof', which is for previous lights like the L1.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it as this just hit CP - anyone who had one by now would have already posted something.

I think I may wander over to my local PX and see if they happen to have one on the shelf.

I'm just not impressed enough to buy one.

-Trevor

Edit - although the constant twist on for either level is a nice touch.

Joe18

Newly Enlightened
So your saying that 15 SF lumens is more than 15 lumens? If I get one I'll post a review.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
So your saying that 15 SF lumens is more than 15 lumens?
I've spent a fair amount of time on the '10 lumen' low of the SF L1 cree, and compared it to the '20 lumen' Streamlight stylus pro via overhead bounce and direct usage with night-adapted vision (the beam characteristics from both are reasonably similar). The '10 SF lumens' is considerably brighter, and actually painful to use with night-adapted vision. The '15 lumen' low of the older L2 isn't quite as bad because it's so floody. If they're still claiming 15 lumens for the low in the new L2, all in a tight TIR spot, I'm not optimistic as far as it's usability in that situation. My opinion, at least, FWIW.

Even if Streamlight is overrating their output by 100%, 10 'SF' lumens is still higher than that, it seems to me.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
From what i read, Surefire's output claims are not from the emitter as most other flashlight companies. This means that Surfiref's 80 lumens is definitely much more than that. Compared to other companies that claim 200, it's probably around 140- 150, if even that.

TBrogden

Newly Enlightened
I suspect it may be too early to ask but is there a way to reduce the 15 lumens? Is it a matter of tweaking a resistor value or is the control embedded in firmware?

Thanks!

gsxrac

Enlightened
What happened to the planned 120 lumens? LOL. 200 friggin lumens, thats crazy. It also has the perfect UI. this is like a dream light.

Now if only theyve been holding out on us and plan to do this to the Invictus/Optimus also ;) :faint:

Illum

Flashaholic
I suspect it may be too early to ask but is there a way to reduce the 15 lumens? Is it a matter of tweaking a resistor value or is the control embedded in firmware?

Thanks!

we won't know whats cooking until someone pops the hood:laughing:
If any, it might be so simple...surefires driver boards are more complicated than the ones we are used to seeing on DX, et al....how low were you expecting?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe i missed it? my question is how is the LX2 200 lumens for 2hrs, when the E2DL is 120 lumen for 1.9h, and the new L4 is 120lm for 2h? all three lights are using 2xCR123A right?

my guess, and i certainly could be wrong is that something is a misprint. either the 200lm should be 120lm, or the 2h should be reduced to maybe 1h or 1.2h?

any thoughts, or corrections, from anyone?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh this is definetly my next purchase. I've been waiting for this one. I'll probably put my E1L up for sale to help cover this one....

Status
Not open for further replies.