for those with TK40 and run L91/E2 Lithiums

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats your experience like , any issues,with some new info stated here i just wanna guage what everyones experience has been like...i have one coming in soon and i love the L91 so just curious

i could see issues if 1 has been put in wrong but other than that the L91 is rated for 2a continous so at least the low/med/high should be safe and turbo could be scary for long durations...anyone run this in turbo for long durations

burntoshine

Enlightened
my contribution may be completely useless to you...

i use energizer rechargeables with my TK40 and have had no issues whatsoever.

i bought 16 of them specifically just for this light.

my TK40 was even left on in turbo mode, stuffed in a backpack; completely drained the batteries. when i took it out, the LED was only slightly glowing (like some lights do when the batteries are pretty much dead).

still works fine like the day i bought it with no change in brightness.

i wouldn't use lithiums or primaries in this light simply due to cost/having to use new batteries for each use.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If you can afford lithiums, then they are the best possible AA's, but it sure would get expensive real fast if you used you light very often.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all 8 batteries are fresh L91, then on turbo, the TK-40 should be able to last almost, if not over 3hr to 50%. But at a very steep price.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im not worried about going through lithiums everyday ,its not like i am going full 630 all the time + as like most of us theres other lights that pretty much get all the main usage :twothumbs

Mikellen

Enlightened
From what I've read here on CPF the TK40 has a "parasitic" battery drain.
I know the drain is very slight on the batteries but it might be
something to consider.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the drain im aware of , i was all ready to buy this back when they first arrived but little things added up that haulted that , the drain,the M-bin controversy,the hot batteries from jahxman thread ...as some time has gone by i figure by now they are all M-bin, the drain i still dont like but i will lock it out and the batteries if figure all the 4seven returns are from people using alks on turbo all the time "not ideal" and some putting them in backwards so i will be extra careful of that...but im wondering about any wildcards like if someone had exploding lithiums while using Low or Medium or anything unheard of yet

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I haven't been following the TK40 threads very closely but enjoy quick reads here and there. Regarding the parasitic drain, couldn't that be a real problem with L91 "primaries?" Let's say you stuck the light in a bug out bag and left it for over a year, couldn't you risk cell ruptures if they were continuously being drained?

I remember one member had an explosion in his tool box when he stored an L91 loaded 4xAA or 3XAA lantern that was also known to have a parasitic draw. I'm looking for the thread but haven't found it yet........

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was JimH. And it was a Battery Station AA, not an Energizer. No idea if that matters.

recDNA

Flashaholic
whats your experience like , any issues,with some new info stated here i just wanna guage what everyones experience has been like...i have one coming in soon and i love the L91 so just curious

i could see issues if 1 has been put in wrong but other than that the L91 is rated for 2a continous so at least the low/med/high should be safe and turbo could be scary for long durations...anyone run this in turbo for long durations

I've used L91's in my TK40 since I bought it a few months ago. I often use Turbo but never more than 10 minutes at a time. o problems so far.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been following the TK40 threads very closely but enjoy quick reads here and there. Regarding the parasitic drain, couldn't that be a real problem with L91 "primaries?" Let's say you stuck the light in a bug out bag and left it for over a year, couldn't you risk cell ruptures if they were continuously being drained?

I remember one member had an explosion in his tool box when he stored an L91 loaded 4xAA or 3XAA lantern that was also known to have a parasitic draw. I'm looking for the thread but haven't found it yet........

im aware of that possibility reguardless if alk nimh or lithium , i plan to lockout everytime not in use ,even if i know i will use the light shortly after ....thats why i dislike parasitic drain lights , i asked fenix if they would just go back to the old LXD style general /turbo no drain rather than fancy microprocessor stuff

I've used L91's in my TK40 since I bought it a few months ago. I often use Turbo but never more than 10 minutes at a time. o problems so far.

good stuff :D

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
L91 is rated for 2a continous so at least the low/med/high should be safe and turbo could be scary for long durations...anyone run this in turbo for long durations

Remember the max 2A draw those L91s are rated at could never happen in turbo because the LED will never want more then 2.6 amps at 3.6 volts and since the batteries are set up in parallel the L92s basically have twice their capacity "max 4A draw" and remember that the series of cells make 6 volts, not 3.7 so they have even less draw on them. Actually what I don't understand is why people have problems with alkaline cells. Because each AA cell only sees about .75 A of pull during turbo, granted this is more then your conmen .50 A plastic Eveready AA flashlight draw:rolleyes:, but it's not much more:confused:.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
This comment isn't exactly related to your question but I did have a TK40 tailcap failure that required replacement - all is well now!

James....

recDNA

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, Fenix says not to use lithiums in the TK40.

Do you have a link? Nothing in my owners manual...and are you sure they aren't referring to Li-Ions?

I lock out my TK40 when not in use so parasitic drain isn't an issue.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold mine...but loved it on AA lithiums...It was so much lighter and just felt better in the hand. The $$$ factor and when I first heard about the drain issues (thinking they would drain in 2xmonths...not a year) made me sell it. But it was a great light on L91's.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It was JimH. And it was a Battery Station AA, not an Energizer. No idea if that matters.

Yeah, it actually does matter. I didn't realize those were Energizer cells. The older BS cells are notorious for blow ups.

Thank gswitter. Either you have an awesome memory or you found the thread I was speaking of. If you still have it please pass it on to me. :)

Paul

EDIT: Found JimH's Battery Station thread. Thanks again gswitter.

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $$$ factor and when I first heard about the drain issues (thinking they would drain in 2xmonths...not a year) made me sell it. But it was a great light on L91's.

The drain was measured 0,4mA. So it will take 1.7 years to discharge L91.