PF13! Flashaholic Get Together: NJ, NY, PA, CT Area +

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Some Announcements (10/18/2009)[/size]

For anyone interested, spoke with Jeff earlier and his trip to Michigan is up in the air pending ongoing health concerns about his uncle. As many know, he has been a longtime attendee of PhotonFest. I can't say if he would join us this time, he might, might not, depending on his situation. Just wanted to mention his status, and I certainly wish his uncle well.

Regardless of whether Jeff attends or not, I want to remind everyone that my family asks ALL attendees to be on good behavior for the event... take your personal issues with this person or that person elsewhere, it has no place at a PF event. Frankly, the ongoing sniping in the event threads has me thinking about whether it's time for me to put a permanent end to the event. We gather to share a passion about flashlights and it's supposed to be fun, not what amounts to a bunch of middle school drama. Please understand what I'm trying to say to everyone here, sorry to come down heavy but the spirit of the event is a shared passion and some pleasant moments together... when the event ceases to be that for my family and me, it's over.

I'd also like to emphasize that everyone needs to play safe. We had an incident at PF12 involving a child shining lights in the eyes of oncoming drivers, culminating in the police being called. This is flat-out unacceptable. If you bring children, please supervise them as you are ultimately responsible for their actions.

I sincerely hope we all can gather as friends and enjoy our hobby together, and it's great to see you all at these events. If everyone cooperates, we will all have a good time. If not, you will be asked to leave.

[size=+1]Original Post[/size]

This is a continuation of PF13 discussion that began at the bottom of the PF12 thread over here.

Here is the classic PhotonFest announcement post, as penned by KartRacer31 many events ago, updated to PF13...

(Many thanks, Tim!) :bow:

The primary purpose of the thread is to provide information about PhotonFest 13 (PF13 for short). These first few posts, in particular, will be edited with pertinent updates as appropriate.

:party:PF13! Flashaholic Get Together: NJ, NY, PA, CT Area +
PF13 is the 13th edition of a flashaholic get together in Califon, NJ. It's open to anyone who would like to attend.

The tradition lives on! Based on the success of the past 12 PF events, it's time for PhotonFest 13!

Mark your calendars for Saturday, November 7th! Well, those of you who were at any of the first 12 PF's know what to expect. For those of you who were not, here is a run down:

Date: Saturday November 7th
Start Time: High Noon (12:00PM)
End Time: after dark, possibly Sunday AM, or you may stay at Scott's home for the night and leave the next day (see details below).

PF13 will be at the usual place, the home of Scott (milkyspit) in Califon, NJ. Please PM Scott for exact directions.
We usually start with a casual meet and greet. Of course, the lights come out right away for a show and tell, and those who can't wait for the dark head into Scott's basement where it's dark. :candle:

:popcorn: Everyone is asked to bring some small snack on which to nibble: a bag of tortilla chips, a flavorful dip, potato chips, pretzels, popcorn, a bottle of soda, water or other beverage, cookies, candy, fruit..... whatever!

:thanks: An additional tradition has been that those who want to bring small give-aways for everyone, may do so. Popular items in the past have been keychain lights, penlights, keyrings, lanyards, etc. These little inexpensive "give-aways" are always appreciated. One year, CPF member Solstice made a cool drawing commemorating the event, and gave copies to everyone. Someone else provided blank name tags for all of us to stick on a shirt. It's better than saying "hey you!" A few guys offered flashlight mods that went bad, in the hope that a new owner could make use of them.

:thumbsup: It has become a bit of a tradition that items are donated for a raffle. The cool thing is that while some attendees of the event bring items for the raffle, quite often those who could not attend, but want to support our event, often mail stuff out or send it along with someone who is coming.

:sold: Additionally, many of us will have items for sale or trade. So bring some extra cash money ($$).

Something else that is kinda cool is Stan's Segway. If you don't know what a Segway is, it's that cool electric scooter thing with two wheels, you stand on and cruise around. Stan is always willing to give a quick lesson and let those who want to have a neat experience, try it out. Stan, if you can't make it this year can you just ship the Segway out? :lolsign:

At some point, we usually get some food for dinner to break up the day. For the sake of simplicity, we usually order several pizza pies with a variety of toppings. In this way, everybody will have something that they like to eat on top of their pizza slices!

:devil: Of course, there is the mysterious Field of Darkness across from Scott's house, which contains a black hole that just eats up light before you can reach the tree line quite a distance away. For years many had tried, and only a few lights were able to illuminate the tree line.

Not to be overlooked, is the annual trek (about a 3/4 mile walk) to the infamous quarry. It is an abandoned limestone rock quarry, which is used as a police shooting range.....but not when we will be there!!! :xyxgun: Anyway, we head into the dark reaches of the quarry, which gives an interesting backdrop for testing our lights.

In the past, some CPF members from the West Coast who could not attend, sent out some of their cool mods for us to examine. Hopefully, that will happen again. :wave:

:crazy: So much goes on there is no way I can mention it all or give credit to everyone who has helped make PhotonFest what it is today. Thanks to everyone who has helped make the PF events such a success, also encouraging KartRacer31 to begin his FCW (Flashaholic Camping Weekend) spin off event, intended to be like a PF but over a whole weekend, outside in the woods, in a camping context.

Ok back to PF13... Of course, everyone is encouraged to bring as many lights with them as they can. What one person may think is a common light, another person may contemplate buying and will be very happy to have a personal hands-on review. :twothumbs

Scott has suggested that anyone who wants to sleep over, is welcome to do so. Sleeping arrangements are as follows: You may sleep on the couches or on the floor in his living room. You may bring your tent and camp out in his backyard. :sleepy:

I'm sure that this date will work out great for some, and not so great for others. I'm sorry for those who will not be able to make it. It is virtually impossible to coordinate the perfect date for everyone.

Most of the event will have a flexible time frame in order to ensure that those who want to see the quarry can do so at a reasonable hour. But as attendance has increased, we have discovered that a little regimentation has worked better than having the day's worth of activities proceed on a random basis. The following is a schedule of events to help PF13 progress smoothly:

ORDER PIZZA - 5:45
GROUP PHOTO - 7:45
RAFFLE TIME - 8:00
BLACK HOLE 9:00
QUARRY TIME 9:30

Regarding our eating manners, the only request made by our host Scott is that we all clean up after ourselves, and leave his home in good condition. That way, his wife will let us keep coming back for more!!! Thanks in advance to his understanding wife Heather, and his children for letting us invade their home and turn it into our playground for a night. :)

For more info, search any of the last 12 PF events here on CPF.

Well, that's all for now. Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
2.gif
I can't wait!!!
7.gif

Rules:
1. Say you are going.
2. Add + for non-CPF attendees, right after you say you are going.
3. CPF attendees that carpool, list their CPF usernames. (to avoid confusion of +# non-CPFers and CPFers separate postings)

PF13 Official List
Flashlight Aficionado +1
Sabrewolf
Stan671
Jahxman
nein166
Senecaripple +1
Kid9P
KartRacer31
Juggernaut +1
TranquillityBase
LED_Thrift
Jdriller
Copperfox
RyanA
mendhammarsh
Data
Larbo +1
MSaxatilus
Not So Bright
m16a +2 (+3 tentative)
Carrot
mrichelo
WadeF
AnimalHousePA
Karlthev
dizzy
lasercrazy +1
garilla +1
luxlover
Dcaprilla
sledhead

TOTAL = 39-42

Last edited:
So who is starting the list? :whistle:

:lolsign: DIZZY :lolsign:

Cool, an official PF13 thread :thumbsup:

Scott, I'm working on trying to snag a Minty KL3 head....

After talking with many PF attendees from the last PF, we wanted to express our concern about parents who bring children. Of course children are welcome at PF events, but parents must keep a close watch on any children they may bring.

Unfortunately at the last PF event there were flashlights taken from their presentation area and deposited in Milky's yard, moved about, roughly handled, etc. We want everyone to feel comfortable putting their lights out for display. Unfortunately after what I witnessed going on at the last PF event my collection was promptly packed up and locked in my van.

Also it didn't end there. The police were called when one child, unattended by his parent, shined a bright light into oncoming traffic. Not only did this put the passengers in the car in danger, it put many of us who were standing by the edge of the road in danger if the driver lost control and ran into us.

Hopefully this won't happen at future PF events, but if parents fail to control their children they maybe asked to leave.

With that out of the way, hope to see everyone at PF13! :)

Last edited:
I will see you there folks :thumbsup:
Gonna bring the Taglights for Raffle to support Milky's Event.
The Entry will be 2$ for anyone interested. I wanted to keep
cheap so everyone can get in on it. And all the proceeds go
to supporting the event. This is Not a raffle for me to "Sell"
My lights just to let ya know :wave: Its just for PF13 Support lovecpf
There will also be some Inova Keychain (3-Mode) Lights that
will be in the same raffle... And Possibly some others too :sssh:

Sooo, Whoever said they were gonna bring some Raffle Tickets,
Please Do :poke: :eek: :D

I am planning to attend.

I will bring my usuall stuff which is my Segway and a cooler full of misc soft drinks.

I missed the last PF because I was doing something as silly as moving. I won't let that happen again! LOL

curses.
for a second there, I thought "Califon" said california. :crackup:

In the old days, apparently the town WAS called "California, NJ." The name was changed to "Califon" either because too much mail was misdirected to the state of CA or the full name wouldn't fit on the standardized sign hanging outside the railroad station, depending on whose version of local history you believe.

We need the whole gang for lucky number PF13! EricMac, arewethereyetdad, griff...where you dogs at!

Can I purchase raffle tickets if I am not going? Also, WadeF, Are you going to twitter again??? Loved following the day, even if I wasn't there... :twothumbs

WOW this is awesome :party:

A gathering that is practically in my backyard - only about 1 hour away!

Count me in, I will definitely get up there. I have never been in the same room with more than one other person who was even slightly interested in flashlights - I can't even imagine it! And the one other person is probably just humoring me.....lol.

See you all there!

-Jim

Alright more noobs!
Jahxman its always great to meet another flashaholic, join the crowd.

WadeF I'm 100% behind you on your comments in POST #8
I felt very uneasy having to tell the children not to mishandle lights that cost hundreds of dollars when I don't have any children of my own. I feel a bit responsible for feeding them marshmallows though.
PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE CHILDREN SUGAR!

scout24 if you want to donate to Milkyspit's Event I'm sure I can spot you some raffle tickets all proceeds go to the host after all, if its okay by Sabrewolf's Raffle Rules

See you all there!