$25. Xenon/H.I.D.?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noting the Marky/Brock post with
those pix of the UKE HID light just got me severely interested in another rechargeable handheld HID spotlight
smile.gif

-To check this one out,-go to: www.shoplifestyle.com and click to item #CVC881-and see what 'ya think..

Brock

Flashaholic
Hummm, I am finding it hard to beleive it is really a HID lamp in there, it sounds like a standard xenon lamp and marketing got a hold of the HID part. Let us know what you find out though.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
The small portion of the bulb you can see in the pictures looks suspiciously like an ordinary PR flange base flashlight bulb.
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interesting thing about the ad copy was the mention of not only HID, but the "bluish-white" characteristic (claimed) output of the lamp.
I'll have that light by next Sat. and I'll sure find OUT..:O
Btw-how does 500K candlepower-for such a small light sound?-any clue there??
confused.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it`s true, it`s an amazing price, and I want one NOW
shocked.gif
(Sorry
rolleyes.gif
). But I too, seriously doubt it`s a HID lamp.....but then you can`t argue with their 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee if it just turns out just to be a pumped up PR bulb in there. That mention of blue-white light kinda gets you thinking though.....

Looking forward to finding out.

tongue.gif

DaveH

Enlightened
Edited becaise I found the test you where referring to. Might be a nice light, no way it's HID though.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

it's probably just an incandecent bulb with a blue coating. you can kinda see the blue in the reflector.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yo2tup:
it's probably just an incandecent bulb with a blue coating. you can kinda see the blue in the reflector.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my guess. Just like those blue bulbs some people put in their car headlights. BTW, the replacement bulb for the UK is around $70.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
My open question is: why in the world would a lead-acid battery be necessary for just a PR bulb???
p.s. a post-order note was attached, -to ship only if this light IS H.I.D.

Size15's

Flashaholic
In the UK atleast, it is very dangerous to use such coloured bulbs in your car headlamps. Not only does it make you believe you are seeing more when you are not, it also causes over drivers to be "blinded" or assume you're a police car.

I believe the only HID lamps legal in the UK and USA for road use are those that come fitted in a new car, and are on very expensive models at the top end of the ranges.
For personal and off-road use, you can use custom HID kits.

Beware of fake "HID" 'style' bulbs. The colour of Xenon Lamps is a hint of blue and mainly brilliant white. Any coloured or tinted bulbs are dangerous rip-offs.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want ......

I want this to be a true HID torch at 25 dollars each.

[From the photo, it looks like it could easily be taken apart, and adapted to all kinds of uses.]

Jahn
frown.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif
blush.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lite-Lover:
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want ......

I want this to be a true HID torch at 25 dollars each.

[From the photo, it looks like it could easily be taken apart, and adapted to all kinds of uses.]

Jahn
frown.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be sure to let you know in just a few days..
-Anyway my 4 years past ordering experiences with this company have proven to be Very surprising at times and very positive at all times
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ......
Sob ......
Oh Sh-t ......

Maybe someday, in the far future, I'll be able to laugh at this.

In the meantime, how does it compare with what ? What's the beam quality and range ?

And could it easily be dismantled / built into another casing ?

Jahn
frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this device puts out a HUGE amount of light, it is not an HID.

Awwww...too bad
frown.gif

Never mind. Guess the Underwater Kinetics metal halide lamp will stay on the "I must have one" list for now.....

rolleyes.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lite-Lover:

In the meantime, how does it compare with what ? What's the beam quality and range ?

And could it easily be dismantled / built into another casing ?

Jahn
frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well..-I compared it to my Eveready 8AA "double barrel" xenon flashlight, and I'd say it puts out about 2X output of
that unit..
I sure don't have any instruments to quantitatively measure it though..
smile.gif

I have already disassembled it to perfectly focus the bulb for a really intense spot.
It works great, but...do u have any mod ideas?? -The batt. is only abt. 3"x2"x1.5" and there's lotsa empty space in there..
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Well..-I compared it to my Eveready 8AA "double barrel" xenon flashlight, and I'd say it puts out about 2X output of
that unit..
I sure don't have any instruments to quantitatively measure it though..
smile.gif

I have already disassembled it to perfectly focus the bulb for a really intense spot.
It works great, but...do u have any mod ideas?? -The batt. is only abt. 3"x2"x1.5" and there's lotsa empty space in there..
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have any bright mod ideas
grin.gif

Nothing Elecktrical anyways.
[I wish......
frown.gif
]
Just wanted to build another casing for it, I'm putting together a combination light, with spot / area / LED long-life.
Still, the output makes it interesting.

Jahn
wink.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
cool.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Any clue what H.I.D stands for...in their mind?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

K.B./Mr. Bear
Any fool should know in the world of ad copy what that means: -Highly Intentionally Deceptive is the really Correct answer:d
rolleyes.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xenon tube rechargeable handheld spotlight came today. While this device puts out a HUGE amount of light, it is not an HID.
Gets noticeably warm after 5 min.+ continuous operation. goes 20-30 min. on a charge..
It's Lead-Acid battery and the xenon bulb are replaceable. -A bit heavier light than expected.
A very good buy, and a "keeper", but not astonishing...
-Gets 4
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
s out of a possible 5 (at that price)
-yes Virginia, there are no $25. HIDs out there
wink.gif

Edit: @ 9:45 PM PST
Now that it's dark outside,-Make that brightness about SIX times as much as my Eveready 8AA light and very WHITE in comparison.
smile.gif