• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

27LT & PD with Seoul** All Gone**

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: 27LT & PD with Seoul

Chelly,
Yes.

Toons, Yaesumofo's GD mizer was measured at about 290 - 300 mA. In theory, the Wiz2x2 will behave in the same manner as theGD. I believe the GD has a slight efficiency advantage at the higher current levels but at 300 mA, the LED Vf will be more of a deciding factor, IMHO.

I stopped in to take a peek here as I needed to get more clips and screws.......

I figured I would have a hand full of sales from this offering which would fill in some blank time between some Ti sessions. :green: :eek:

Now the Ti program is set back while I get these all built. :ohgeez:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Deleted!

(Compliments of "Posting Problems R` Us")

Last edited:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo said:
Hi guys,

When I said I cry uncle, it was in regards to the overwhelming orders sent in! I would guess that the PD is getting close to being history if not already! :green:

Some of you may have followed the PD and Wiz2x2 developements and may recall that the elected drive current of 525 mA was based on the CR123 cell and the converter and a drive level that was stable and would not cause the wiz2x2 to go into erratic and strobbing activity as the voltage from the batery approached the shut down limit (2.5V) built into the wiz2x2 chip. Nothing has changed here and 525 is still the max I am willing to go with the light. The PD-S essentially doubles the lumens from the Luxeon versions.
Oh, sure..... :Ohgeez:

Go ahead and get the hopes up of the "Brighter-Is-Better" crowd! :rolleyes:

WELL....

I`ll try to get over this setback, by sitting in front of my Tahoe tonight and staring into the high beams of my Ultra Siverstar headlights! :duck: :D

Toons

Newly Enlightened

Greetings Don,
Thanks for the answer.
You got mail Dude!

Mahalo :nana: ... Always wanted to do that.....

Kiessling

Flashaholic

McGizmo said:
You mizer proponents, where the hell were you when I started the thread on these?!?! :nana:

Well, maybe next time you take a less philosophical approach and cut right down to the meat ... like ... would you buy a mizer light or do you prefer a real manly light? :p
Theoretical musings often differ from actual purchases and often motivate less and are prone to distractions.

[smartass mode off]

bernie

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bernie Don't you know by now that when Don creates threads of this nature it is almost always followed by a sale of some sort? It is a tell so to speak.
If you had been reading other areas of the CPF forum you would have known that Don was in the middle of a major build as well. I knew didn't you?
I have felt the on come of the disappearance of the PD from Don sales threads for some time. It seems as though the time has come. The McLux III pd and -S variety offerings are just about completely behind us.
As a PD lover these are sad times. As a Flashlight lover I look forward to what ever is next.
I do wish that Don would continue to produce lights in aluminum. I know this will not be the case based upon reading various threads. One can hope anyway. I do enjoy the ti offerings but I can get almost 2x the number of aluminum flashlights as I can for the cost of 1 titanium light. Such is life. Titanium is in fashion. Maybe when Boeing and Airbus get their work flow act together and figure out how to procure titanium correctly, the inflated price of Titanium will fall back to earth. TI is not rare by any means.
Back to the -S. I believe there is room in every mans pocket for a MIZER mode flashlight. Some day many of you who secretly want such a light will become unafraid and come out of the closet. Maybe it needs to become fashionable first. Then Don will not be able to keep up with MIZER mode orders. Time will tell.
Yaesumofo

Kiessling said:
Well, maybe next time you take a less philosophical approach and cut right down to the meat ... like ... would you buy a mizer light or do you prefer a real manly light? :p
Theoretical musings often differ from actual purchases and often motivate less and are prone to distractions.

[smartass mode off]

bernie

loveit

Enlightened

I'm new here and really have enjoyed CPF over the past few weeks. I bought the PD-S mizer because I wanted a light to use most of the time. I plan to make this my EDC light. It is rare that I need a super bright light, so I thought the mizer option was better for my everyday needs. I already have a few super brights that I rarely use.

Some might call me crazy for taking this option, and others may call me crazy for using this as an EDC light. I don't think one light is more "manly" than another. I just think that choosing any McLux shows we have great taste!

Delghi

Enlightened

chellyc said:
Can we assume that ordered PD-S' will be 525mAh unless mizer is specifically requested?

Chelly

I hope so

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Ymofo ... I am fairly ignorant at times :eek: ...

And yes, it is sad that the PD finally phases out. But then again ... until now each subsequent light was better than before ... so ... :popcorn: ... and ... Don, get movin' :nana:

bernie

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kiessling said:

I'm a CPF'er. I need both kinds of lights.

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened

Just a friendly opinion mind you....

...but from a given light its not that hard to take a bright beam and make it dimmer or diffused, just shine it through a beer bottle or old underwear or something, but its hard to get a light brighter than it was originally made to be.

Its not that hard to make a porche drive under 55mph if need be but its hard to get a stock vintage beetle over 90mph.

A PD-S w/miser seems a lot like putting a stock vintage vw engine in a porche 911.
Sure most of us drive under 90mph but it seems like if a person could afford a porche they might have other cars for the slower mundane stuff (?)

For miserly illumination use of a miserly light would seem to make sense, theres no shortage of good inexpensive ones around (arc aaa, photon, etc) and they're easy to carry w/keys. As flashaholics the more lights the merrier, right?

Then again if the PD-S is a "truck" (albeit a high end one) for you then the miser would make some sense............

Its great to have the options in the PD-S although even "brighter" would be nice too.

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened

Email order for 27LT-S sent - my fist McGizmo!! Decided it was a matter of now or never given that the few lights available are selling fast.

I'm sure I need not worry but....

roughly how many lumens should I expect on low? I read 144 lumens on high...

how is the beam different from that of the UX1K 27LT or Ti S27?

Thanks!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carry a Arc AAA and almost NEVER use it. It is on the key chain as you suggest. It is pretty beat up too. I do check it from time to time. I consider this to be a last ditch light not a primary worker.

Here is what you may not understand:
The PD-S in mizer mode emits the same amount of light (maybe a little more) that a stock PD (Ubin) makes. The PD has been a gold standard for me for some time. So from my point of view I give up nothing by having a PD-S mizer as my EDC. I have other lights should I need to make more light always within my grasp.
The point of mizer mode is that one can have the same amount of light that they are used to and have been used to, except that the light now runs for 2x as long. It isn't like the mizer mode is putting out less light.
Just because there are PD's which put out more light doesn't mean I need to have that much power in the PD.

I have ordered a 27LT-S because this will provide more lumens than all other lights in the series. So If I want Blaster mode I will go to this light not the PD. This is besides the fact that the PD is not a thrower so to speak. When I need more light it is usually going to be used for throw. It will certainly not be used for close up work. There is such a thing as too much light for working close up. for example try reading by the light of a PD on high without bouncing the light off the ceiling. I can't do it. Too much light makes reading difficult. On the other hand the PD in low mode allows me to read with no problem.

OK I will pull out my crystal ball and make a prediction (based upon reading and past performance). The next major series improvement that we will see in Don's lights is at least one more selectable level so we will have three levels of light. That way we can truly have the option of either RUNTIME or HIGH LEVEL in the same light. Whether or not this light takes the form of the PD or something similar that remains to be seen. 3 levels are now a good option since the next generation of emitters have become able to produce 100 lumens +. That is the key ingredient to this need being fulfilled.
Now that I have gone off topic.....
Mizer mode rocks. Oh and b the way. It amazes me that While doing runtime tests this light only warms slightly. Not true of the "older" U-bin PD. I do not hold the light when doing these tests so the light does radiate the heat very well.
Yaesumofo

astrogrub said:
Just a friendly opinion mind you....

...but from a given light its not that hard to take a bright beam and make it dimmer or diffused, just shine it through a beer bottle or old underwear or something, but its hard to get a light brighter than it was originally made to be.

Its not that hard to make a porche drive under 55mph if need be but its hard to get a stock vintage beetle over 90mph.

A PD-S w/miser seems a lot like putting a stock vintage vw engine in a porche 911.
Sure most of us drive under 90mph but it seems like if a person could afford a porche they might have other cars for the slower mundane stuff (?)

For miserly illumination use of a miserly light would seem to make sense, theres no shortage of good inexpensive ones around (arc aaa, photon, etc) and they're easy to carry w/keys. As flashaholics the more lights the merrier, right?

Then again if the PD-S is a "truck" (albeit a high end one) for you then the miser would make some sense............

Its great to have the options in the PD-S although even "brighter" would be nice too.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geez....all this flak for the Mizer.

Just keep in mind that the brightness of the Mizer is about the same as a good U-binned Lux-III PD! Nobody ever complained about the brightness of those PDs.....why this time? :shrug:

For my uses, the brightness levels of the original U-binned PD's were so perfect for me. A well thought out balance of high and low levels. To maintain this delicate balance and double the runtimes is like a Holy Grail of flashlights for me.

Oh well.....to each their own. I'm just glad that Don has decided to make these! Thank the stars!

WP

EDIT: Wow.....Mofo.....you and I think the same way!!! I wrote this post before I read yours above! Weird!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

:party:MIZER ME DON!!!:party:

How did I miss this until now! (E-mail sent for 1 mizer PD, with trit and a Ti bezel of course.)

A year ago, I would have said the heck with runtime, turbocharge the damn thing! But, as MoFo has pointed out, I dont think most people are seeing the beauty of this light!! This is what I have been waiting for, a light that you can count on for those times where runtime really matters.

loveit, I applaud your choice my friend. Oh, and you would get a rashing for NOT EDCing it! The PD begs to get carried. I promise you will grab it day after day.

I am loving my Ti 27-S Clickie, but I just cant pass this up. :naughty:

Are we talking 200 minutes on high off of 1 x 123??? :drool:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

We were typing at the same time.
I agree nobody ever complained about the U-bin levels, in fact many people paid extra for U-Bins (myself included) when it has been proven time and time again that at the 525mA drive level that the U-Bin emitter doesn't emit more light than a T Bin. It may have a lower vF which would make the light run more efficiently. So by the looks of things all those guys who went the extra mile to have a U-Bin emitters installed into their PD were actually trying to have a more efficient (mizerly) flashlight.:laughing:

yaesumofo

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
EDIT: Wow.....Mofo.....you and I think the same way!!! I wrote this post before I read yours above! Weird!!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://dmcleish.com/CPF/run-times/PD-P4-300mA.jpg

tells the story!!

Yaesumofo

PoliceScannerMan said:
:party:MIZER ME DON!!!:party:

How did I miss this until now! (E-mail sent for 1 mizer PD, with trit and a Ti bezel of course.)

A year ago, I would have said the heck with runtime, turbocharge the damn thing! But, as MoFo has pointed out, I dont think most people are seeing the beauty of this light!! This is what I have been waiting for, a light that you can count on for those times where runtime really matters.

loveit, I applaud your choice my friend. Oh, and you would get a rashing for NOT EDCing it! The PD begs to get carried. I promise you will grab it day after day.

I am loving my Ti 27-S Clickie, but I just cant pass this up. :naughty:

Are we talking 200 minutes on high off of 1 x 123??? :drool:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

Before I go to far, this offer is now CLOSED!

Well my plan on getting a good number of these lights to the post office today fell off in light of the number of orders that kept coming in. I want to take in a group of them tonight and drop them off and do another run tomorrow afternoon ifit works out. I have a good number of hours in prep work still to do.

I believe that everyone who has sent in an order will be covered but this is based on parts that have not been assembled yet. I will continue to work through these orders and get the lights out as I can. I did not respond with any order acknowledgements as I felt a notification of postage in a short time turn around would be sufficient. I would still prefer to work on getting the lights done and not administrative work of answering your e-mails just to say hi and that they were received. I reckon I have received all of them.

Anyway, I need to clear out the build queue and see what if anything is left and then get back to the Ti program. I will come back to what is left in the 27LT and PD sets figure out something.

As to the mizer mode, I think it makes sense for any user who finds they use constant on and for good periods of time as a rule and not the exception. If the light is used regularly for tasks, the added run time can be a boon. :shrug:

I have had a couple folks inquire after a simple light I have and I am thinking seriously about making a simple Al PD head based on this light. It may be made available separately for use with the AL PD's as well as the Ti sets. It will be a mizer candle. I would love to get its final design done and in the works but I need to clear out some programs that have been going on for too long already, first. :eek:

charlesn

Enlightened

yaesumofo said:
The next major series improvement that we will see in Don's lights is at least one more selectable level so we will have three levels of light. Yaesumofo

James, I hadn't thought of it this way before, but I really think you're on to something. The ideal combo, especially with these new super LEDs, would be the same real-world proven low and high levels that the PD has now, plus a blaster level that takes full advantage of the potential brightness.