35W HID Newbie

Rich_UK

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a used 35W? HID from a guy on a car forum I use, and a few q's (I did try searching first), first of all he said it's 35W how do I get the bulb out to check? Are they all low/mid/high? Because this one only seems to have one setting, switch them on and off to change setting yes? When I first switch on from cold it goes very bright for a second or two and then dims down, is this normal?

The torch/kit looks exactly like this one on eBay, apart from the decals, this one just has the name on one side "Just H.I.D" oh and it doesn't light up around the button at the back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35W-HID-X...rnsTorches&hash=item415bc875ef#ht_3992wt_1037

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rich,

Did you buy it used? It does sound like it has a few problems. The guy who sold it to you, did he mention any of these problems in his description of the light? If not you can stick it to him and get a refund. It's unfair that he didn't tell you about these problems.

Rich_UK

Newly Enlightened
Yeah bought it used, I asked him about the bright to not so bright thing and his reply was..

"Not sure on that one mate maybe the battery is on its way out or check the little on / off switch on the battery and make sure it is on off"

If it is the battery the cost of replacement on top of what I paid for the torch would be more than the price of a new torch. Not sure there are any other problems as I don't know if there are meant to be more than one output setting.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the battery packs do have a power level indicator. Not an expert, just going by what I observed in eBay auctions. If yours has LEDs on it then they should light up.

Rich_UK

Newly Enlightened
It has the 3 white LEDs on the front when you take the battery out, with a switch to turn them on and off, but I'm assuming it should also have coloured ones around the switch on the back to let you know what power setting it's on?

BTW thanks for your patience, and for all the replies.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem! That's part of what CPF is all about, talking about flashlights. :)

To be honest I never handled this particular light, but I believe that is correct. Are there in fact color LEDs around the switch?

cloud

Newly Enlightened
Rich UK

That does sound to good mate :ohgeez: All i can do is help with my own experiences, following your web link the multi level HID looks to be exactly the same as the one i have here.
I have a couple of HID's from ebay, one of them is 24W single mode operation, with no indication on the tail button, its basically on/off, I also have the one that you are describing with the coloured indicators to indicate output levels ( 3 levels 20/28/35W)

I'm using the 24W for another project, I have broken down both lights so i am familiar with how to dismantle these if you are stuck. The output ballast power on both of mine was indicated on the side of the ballast assembly, however they have to be taken apart carefully paying special attention not to handle the bulb.

AFAIK sounds to me either you have a one mode flashlight sold as multi level, or it started out as multi mode as the seller said, and you have a ballast and/or circuit/battery fault.

For the price they are made with less than stellar parts(for my own use its unimportant) although it doesnt help you.

regards

PS
The bulb and ballast is one complete assembly

Last edited:

Rich_UK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, from what you are saying it's looking like I've been sold a 24W advertised as a 35W, I didn't get this one from eBay, I only posted the link because it looks identical. I can't see any sign of LED's looking through the cover on the back of the battery so I don't think it is supposed to light up the different colours.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a single mode (24w only) standard HID flashlight with a boost start-up mode similar to the stanley HID, meaning in order to provide useful light right away when cold, it actually jumps the wattage up to 50w or so to allow the bulb to heat up faster and then drops wattage down to normal operating power.
does the ballast "whine" louder at 1st start up? does it slowly get brighter after its initial dimming down? if so, i'd bet the above is the case. meaning it's normal and part of the design.

Rich_UK

Newly Enlightened
It does get brighter after the dimming down yes, can't say I've noticed a louder whine, I've only heard the whine when I put my ear next to the torch, anyway it seems like CPF has cleared everything up for me :) Thanks guys.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
As Fritzhead suggested looks like you have single mode. the battery packs for these small lights all look pretty similar,
you would think they all come from same factory!
At the push button end looking through the frosted plastic i can just make out the circuit and led indicators (multi)
the single mode model i have here is clear of electronics.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like often the 35W quoted is the input power of the ballast with inefficiency included. You see it a lot more especially with ebay 55W "automotive" HID kits.