4D Mag Power Questions

dkongkill

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, i'm planning on dropping in a Cree 5 LED drop in from Deal Extreme into my 4D mag(link below). the max voltage is 8.4v and i want to get as close to the full potential as i can out of this drop in. what kind of power would be the best? rechargeable with more mah or fitting in extra C's with more voltage or any other opinions you guys have. any help is greatly appreciated

thanks.

Link- http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-cree...drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35242

That has a regulated driver, the lowest you can put for it to work is 3 volts, but it will work with anything up to 8.4 volts, if you go over the voltage you will run into problems, that should run very well on 4 d cell alkalines.

...you could do two series and two parallel 26500 IMRs in a simple battery holder. If you want to see one I have some pictures someplace. That would offer rechargability and great runtimes.

likie vinny said, 4d alkalines or nimh, or 5 c of either chemistry all will work just fine.

Thanks for all the info guy much appreciated. I am using 5 C right now but Mettee i would actually like to see those pictures if you don't mind cause i was thinking of possibly doing that set up.

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

This is what is in this light
inlineparallelholder.jpg

This is what I was thinking for your light
4D2S2Pbatteryholder.png

Cut it down to 3D and use two F-cells in series? :D the LiFePO4 F cells from battery space fit nicely in a 3D mag without modifying the flashlight, the top cell just neets a bit of a solder blob added so it will make contact.

Cut it down to 3D and use two F-cells in series? :D the LiFePO4 F cells from battery space fit nicely in a 3D mag without modifying the flashlight, the top cell just neets a bit of a solder blob added so it will make contact.
:thinking:
You definitely could, but... why?

2xIFR32900 are 14.4Wh a piece, so 28.8Wh in a 3D.
If you're gonna cut it down, 2xIMR26650 will fit just fine in a 2D body for 29.6Wh -- (slightly) more runtime, less big.
4x NiMH D cells are 12 WH a piece, or 48Wh with no chopping needed.

This drop-in doesn't draw much current (by D-size non-alkaline cell standards), so those low-capacity (but 90A:drool:) cells don't really seem a good fit. They really want a good home -- say, 4x in a 6D Mag with a 12V 600W bulb (Is there such a beast?!) or 8x in a big lantern with a 1000W sealed beam.

This is really a great setup im totally going to use this. thanks a lot mettee!