4Sevens PK Series - new addition to the micro EDC pocket rocket genre

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the end I got two of these one of which still not opened from the box. I removed the "attack bezel" and put the clip in the front for a lanyard. One thing.... don't over tighten the tail cap or it will get messed up. A spring or something got stuck and then after playing around with the light for some time it snapped back. The reason for the over tightening was frozen hands during the winter and not knowing such a failure was possible with a tail twisty. It was a bit more delicate than I expected in this regard. Made me second think the belief this tail cap setup is more reliable than a clicky. Has worked but this experience made me hold off putting the light in a few PSKs. I might though if nothing happens in the next few months as occasionally EDC a knight because of the beam pattern.

I'll pay a little more attention to the switch since you had an issue. Haven't encountered any switch problems with mine but I am sure my Knight doesn't see the hard use yours gets in the field. The washing machine was far more abuse than I ever intended to put mine through! lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I gave a Knight to a non flashaholic who had never seen a CR123 to that point. (Yeah, not everybody has).

I showed him how to twist it to constant or push it to change settings. And I told him there are hidden modes and how to find them.

One day at work he and a coworker pulled up in his work truck to say hello. It was a cloudy day so I asked the passenger "why the dark shades?" He replied do you know how many times he has shined that thing in my eyes looking for hidden modes?"
I left out the colorful words as this is a family channel.

This one made a difference on what's inside these days although the outside still stands unique... but that's just PK's style.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I'll pay a little more attention to the switch since you had an issue. Haven't encountered any switch problems with mine but I am sure my Knight doesn't see the hard use yours gets in the field. The washing machine was far more abuse than I ever intended to put mine through! lol

I had a few light make it though the wash over the years. The last was an Olight twisty 1XAAA. Did just fine. Your washer beats anything I did with the PK knight. Mine did get rained and snowed on etc etc but a washer trip beats that. :laughing:

Woods Walker

I gave a Knight to a non flashaholic who had never seen a CR123 to that point. (Yeah, not everybody has).

I showed him how to twist it to constant or push it to change settings. And I told him there are hidden modes and how to find them.

One day at work he and a coworker pulled up in his work truck to say hello. It was a cloudy day so I asked the passenger "why the dark shades?" He replied do you know how many times he has shined that thing in my eyes looking for hidden modes?"
I left out the colorful words as this is a family channel.

This one made a difference on what's inside these days although the outside still stands unique... but that's just PK's style.

Giving a CR123 light often means it's going to be a paper weight.:grin2: The Knight does have some nice things about it. The run times seem really good on medium. The beam is really really good for this type of light. In fact that's the best thing about it. The ability to take parts off and move them around. I kinda like the funky twisty expect for that one time in the cold. The hidden modes are easy to access even on the fly. Did it jogging. The size is pocket friendly. Very bright on 16340 and eats them no problem. Seems CC on high. The Mini MK2 uses PWM on Turbo. Also looks cool. That can't be underrated. But on the bad side. The attack bezel was removed. I know options are never a bad thing but this might be the exception. :laughing: The clip is horrible in terms of comfort but better when moved (for me). No way David didn't argue over that IMHO. The lack of a low mode, never mind moonlight mode for a pocket EDC is inexplicable. Just beyond comprehension. The moonlight mode was David's calling card. This was the first light after the settlement I think so maybe that had something to do with a few of the strange unknowns.

I have a PSK which needs a light. Considering the Knight, Mini MK2 or Turbo and 2XAA Mini. The knight has better modes for getting out during a night hike IMO. I might take them on a night hike and compare side by side to make up my mind. Would load them with lithium primaries amd rarely use it once put in the PSK. Then again I have 4 regular minis so that's a consideration as well.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
BRIGHTNESS LEVELSLow: 25 lumens, 30 hrs
High:450 lumens, 2 hrs

and that ends that.......

this would actually be my choice, the way I like it. A decent low and a high-high. A third mode is not convenient, I don't need some intermediate 150 lumen mode.

Woods Walker

this would actually be my choice, the way I like it. A decent low and a high-high. A third mode is not convenient, I don't need some intermediate 150 lumen mode.
Honestly if I didn't get in at 22 dollars wouldn't of bothered. It is a good light in terms of runtimes but think the lack of a true low mode and worthless (to me) nature of the options hurt it. I also over tightened the tail again doing a battery change in the dark the other night testing to see which one is best for the PSK. One down side to moving the uncomfortable and inexplicable clip to the front. A clip with sharp pointed sides. Why PK.... Why... So when tightening the bezel the tail accidentally over tightened and I needed to push the spring with my finger. Reminds me of another 4/7 light that yea gotta be careful in that regard. Why not put a true low mode in the hidden modes rather than 3 disco modes for an EDC light. Who needs that many in a pocket light and no low mode. My feeling is it was to distract from the lack of a low mode.

I really like the runtimes and beam but for the PSK going to put one of the extra mini 2XAA or 1xCR123mk2. Will still occasionally EDC the knight as really like the beam. Might just take the clip off and run it that way. If it gets dropped so what. Have an extra still sealed. I think there is a fantastic tool lurking in this light but missed the mark. I think factors outside of pure design considerations played a roll in that. Naturally this is just my view and don't regret buying them.

Forgot to add.

The 100 lumen med mode is really good. Remember this is 1XCR123/16340. Energy is limited and can do about the same stuff with 100 as 600 about 90% of the time however run times are much greater.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PK Knight is a nice little light, it's not ideal though.
I've had trouble too, screwing up the head and tightening the tail at the same time.
It's a lot easier if you take all the extra hardware off the light and use it naked.
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I spoke with PK at length about this one some time back. The way he put it had me thinking it was basically two lights in one.
Part A were his ideas where it was a basic use light with some personal protection in mind.
Part B was a David thing with typical forward thinking.

The combination was a compromise. It introduced folks to what PK had in mind with his post SureFire freedoms. It also introduced what David had in mind for things in the future.
Yet the big deal was how it broke through the 400 lumen barrier without thermal step down using an ordinary primary. That largely went unnoticed since soon after that number was seen as paultry.

It also introduced PVD coating by PK on the blue Paladin, and some new gadgetry by David. The original idea was around the weighty titanium version, which was also part David vs Goliath/potential throwing knife that doubled as the brightest 1 cell flashlight to date (at that time).

It was 2 absolute genious mechanical engineers combining their skills for a brief period in history to create a prelude of things to come.

Much like 'first light's' "tomahawk" it was a completely new idea that opted to go an unconventional direction. And like the tomahawk, it was largely dismissed as a novelty.

But it led to things David and PK both did later that took on a more conventional approach. The Paladin/Knight showed up in both foursevens and pk design lab products soon after.

To me the problem was this: the first one through the wall gets bloody. In this case David said "you first", PK replied "no, you first".... so they decided to crash through the wall together.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really like the silver Paladin. The Knight is a bit slippery for my tastes, but to me they both have ideal high/lo with memory.
Never did acquire the blue one for some reason.

Woods Walker

The PK Knight is a nice little light, it's not ideal though.
I've had trouble too, screwing up the head and tightening the tail at the same time.
It's a lot easier if you take all the extra hardware off the light and use it naked.
P

Yea the add ons are more problematic than helpful. For me the attack bezel is useless as I can't justify actually putting it on. It disrupts the beam and makes the light take up too much pocket room. Then again it would probably dig into the pocket. Not sure. I can't see anyone fielding it for self defense as you need the light often but as a weapon probably never so the user will soon take it off. Also yes the tail cap becomes a problem during a battery change and if over tightened it takes the light out of proper operation. But the tail cap was supposed to be bomb proof compared to a normal one however at least for me it's more of a problem. I like to lanyard carry but it's a problem for the Knight. It can be but it just doesn't feel right. I like what David did with the mini Mk2 Turbo in that regard.

With lithium ion it's really bright on CC. It doesn't need a high drain battery to do it either. The strange thing or at least to me is they could of given the light to just about any flashlight person and after a week or even a few days the same general conclusions would be reached.... No low mode... If the clicky (for lack of better words) and surefire agreement was the problem make it a twisty. The clip sucks. It would take a user 15 seconds to know this. What am I going to use this attack thing for. Why no easly lanyard option. They have one even in the standard mini Mk2 plus all the minis. They would have gotten this feedback for sure. Is a twisty tail cap really better than a twisty head in a little pocket light? I find the Mini much easier to turn on with one hand. I gotta flip the Knight around a bit if using one hand. Just takes longer or at least for me. Also that's the reason wny the tail tightness in the little EDC when yea gotta remove the bezel with a twisty (for lack of better words) tail. A user would know that fast as well.

But the positives would also be known. Great beam profile. Small size. Really bright. Runs a long time on med. Can tail stand. Ultimately an EDC is a tool not a work of art. It can be both but primarily it must be a tool that doesn't fight you. It seems I am always been fighting the Knight to do what the Mini line always could instantly and easily. I think the reason why it works better with less is that makes it more like a Mini and less like a Knight. I wish the head would work on a mini body somehow. That would make it really great.

Edit to add.

It's use of lithium ion is one pro of the Knight. I think David was early on using protected lithium ion but somehow started to move away from this aspect in 4/7. I don't think it was totally intentional rather just worked out that way. To get the Mini Mk2 1000 lumens it needed a special high drain protected 16340 and PWM on turbo. The Atom's size reduction made it a too picky feeder for 16340 and prone to potential user issues of tightened too much. So frustration for buyers who seen the voltage range and remember the past only to find out.... nope. Same for the smart light in 1XCR123. It has the voltage range but the strange tail cap makes it too picky of a feeder. The knight could actually do it but the company was going back a decade ago when the industry increased the voltage range but didn't take the various sizes into account. I will never understand why this wasn't viewed as a problem for the Smart and Atom. At least it was addressed in the knight.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought the Knight was a demonstration piece rather than a serious edc. Something that showed what was possible and where PK was headed.
Having said that, it works realy well for the uses I give it at work and it's small enouh to fit in a pocket for an emerency backuo.
I guess it's actually a collector's piece, but I don't have those.
Like it or not, you have to admit it's damn clever.
P

Last edited:
For crying out loud, somebody post a picture! :rant:

~ Chance

CHlyYdR.jpg

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondered when you would chime back in CG :) Collectability aside am I the only one who uses the Knight or Paladin as a daily EDC :candle:

The longer I go with this hobby the less I like multiple-modes and since the hidden modes are "well hidden" they don't show up inadvertently. I can use the Knight reliably as a two mode high/low. Head twisties are usually the best but the unique twisty allows me to lock out the switch in my pocket and have a press on when I am using it. Doubt I will need more run-time than the low offers for regular EDC use and the high is bright even on a primary. Would prefer neutral tint but with PK and 4Sevens teaming up that wasn't going to happen. I wouldn't choose the Knight for a field light, like the activities WW often does but I think I could live with it in a jam. Time will tell with the switch. I haven't had issues yet but it looks like I am going to have to use some care in operation. I am not missing the lack of a low-low it is just not cropping up in my regular EDC usage.The beam quality is outstanding on high just like WW mentioned.

I really don't see much use for the strike bezel for that actual purpose and it does distort the beam quality a lot. I do however have a weak spot for for PK's style and it just looks "cool" :cool: with a colored bezel nested on the light ,practicality be d@m'd! :nana:

Ha! Silly me, I already posted those same two pictures. What forgetful doofus I'm becoming. :ohgeez:

Reading this thread I'm reminded of what a wonderful brain trust is available via CPF. lovecpf

~ CG

Woods Walker

Here is how I lanyard carry mine. So far this is the only way I find tolerable. If anyone has another idea let me know.

XKjbZxB.jpg