4Sevens Preon Review (1xAAA & 2xAAA): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Woah, thanks for those links! ... What's "reverse/forward clicky" exactly? I don't know all too much about lights but I sure dig them!

You're welcome! Re: your question about reverse and forward clickies, this info is from the awesome CPF Welcome Mat (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277224):

Q: How do I choose a switch?
A: The "reverse clickie" is very commonly available in inexpensive and general use household and outdoor flashlights. It has a button which must be fully pressed until it clicks and then fully released in order to get light. Once the light is on, a soft press will momentarily turn the light off, and once the button is released, the light will reactivate. This is a very inexpensive (and hence popular) switch type, but it is not suited for signaling or momentary operation.

A "forward clickie," however, can be gently pressed from the Off position to momentarily activate the light, and it will turn off once the button is released. The user can also push the button until it clicks to keep the light on. This is available in some Maglite, Streamlight, Inova, and Surefire models.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Fenix E01 is two-handed light also ...

I own 7 EO1's. Because of excellent head knurling all 7 are easily operated with one hand. If you don't mind a rather unsightly mod you can jury-rig the Preon with a narrow strip of black skateboard tape around the head that converts it into a one-hand light.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

EverythingIsFire

Newly Enlightened
You're welcome! Re: your question about reverse and forward clickies, this info is from the awesome CPF Welcome Mat (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277224):

Q: How do I choose a switch?
A: The "reverse clickie" is very commonly available in inexpensive and general use household and outdoor flashlights. It has a button which must be fully pressed until it clicks and then fully released in order to get light. Once the light is on, a soft press will momentarily turn the light off, and once the button is released, the light will reactivate. This is a very inexpensive (and hence popular) switch type, but it is not suited for signaling or momentary operation.

A "forward clickie," however, can be gently pressed from the Off position to momentarily activate the light, and it will turn off once the button is released. The user can also push the button until it clicks to keep the light on. This is available in some Maglite, Streamlight, Inova, and Surefire models.
Ohhh gotcha! Thanks again. Just got my light in the mail :twothumbs Love getting stuff after a tough day at work+ so soon! Great service from 4sevens and cool little discount by joining here.

edit: Wow..a plethora of information in that thread, wonderful!

Last edited:

EverythingIsFire

Newly Enlightened
Man, this light is great! Glad I shelled out the extra $20 over the stylus pro(probably will buy that as a gift to someone) for the extra settings. That high setting lit the hell out of my room and did a great job in my backyard. I tend to go up n' down the stairs here at night and 1) not turning on hallway lights and 2) not tripping over stuff in the dark because of this light is fantastic. Really loving the edc use of this thing. lI'm hoping for a random black out at work :laughing:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That high setting lit the hell out of my room and did a great job in my backyard.
It's a good point - I think we easily forget just how bright even the smallest modern pocket light can be. For most of the general population, even the 1xAAA Preon would outshine their typical dollar-store 2-D cell incan.

All the more reason why aspects like build features, output levels, user interface, battery configuration, runtime, etc. are what really matter today. There are certainly a lot of options out there!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: 4Sevens Preon Review ( 1xAAA & 2xAAA ): RUNTIMES , BEAMSHOTS , and more !
Written by khalwat on 11-12-2010 04:39 PM GMT

EverythingIsFire said:
Man, this light is great! Glad I shelled out the extra $20 over the stylus pro(probably will buy that as a gift to someone) for the extra settings. That high setting lit the hell out of my room and did a great job in my backyard. I tend to go up n' down the stairs here at night and 1) not turning on hallway lights and 2) not tripping over stuff in the dark because of this light is fantastic. Really loving the edc use of this thing. lI'm hoping for a random black out at work :laughing:
I'm in the exact same situation. I am extremely happy with the I'm in the exact same situation. I am extremely happy with the Preon 2. I'm in the tech business, and it's fantastic for poking around servers, as well as good general purpose mini-light.

My first light from 4Sevens, color me impressed.
Written by solo-act on 11-16-2010 09:46 AM GMT

Thanks for the greatreview. I ordered a couple of these yesterday.

Written by srvctec on 11-19-2010 09:32 PM GMT

Thanks for the excellentreview as usual selfbuilt! Just ordered a Titanium Preon2 taking advantage of the black Friday sale. I'm retiring my D10 after 2 years of EDC. That's the longest I've ever EDCed one light which speaks volumes to what I think of it. Just wanting a slimmer light and one that most likely will be easier to mouth hold when working inside of copiers.

lovecpf

Written by LightObsession on 11-30-2010 09:28 PM GMT

Thanks for the greatreview.

How does the original Preon 2 (lower price) compare with the Preon 2 S Edition in regards to tint and output levels? The website shows that the S Edition has a lower High, but higher Low and Medium than the original.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Energizer 2AAA and am looking for multi modes and wasn't really looking to spend this much, but these lights look interesting and appear to be similar in weight (Energizer is 39 grams with batteries). I prefer the listed output levels for the LD05, but it's much heavier.

Thanks.

Written by Batang Regla on 12-20-2010 07:27 AM GMT

Hi selfbuilt

I want to know your opinion about aaa lights.

What will you choose from 1st to last? Fenix ldo1ss, Preon revo ss, Itp a3, Preon 1, Preon Ti.

Also is there really an issue about stainless steel? (steel shavings?)

Thanks again selfbuilt
Written by selfbuilt on 12-20-2010 09:55 AM GMT

Batang Regla said:
What will you choose from 1st to last? Fenix ldo1ss, Preon revo ss, Itp a3, Preon 1, Preon Ti.

Also is there really an issue about stainless steel? (steel shavings?)
Sorry, I don't believe in ranking lights - just too many variables to decide. All lights have their relative merits and drawbacks, depending on the use. Personally, I like a Sorry, I don't believe in ranking lights - just too many variables to decide. All lights have their relative merits and drawbacks, depending on the use. Personally, I like a 1xAAA light that can withstand keychain carry well, and it is solid and durable (without being too heavy). I also don't like visible PWM.

My only issue with stainless steel is the fact that it is a poorer thermal conductor than titanium or aluminum. May be an issue if you run theses lights on Hi.

Written by Batang Regla on 12-20-2010 01:48 PM GMT

Thanks again selfbuilt.

Visible PWM?

Written by selfbuilt on 12-21-2010 10:37 AM GMT

Batang Regla said:
Visible PWM?
Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is the common method for reducing output for Lo/Med modes in small flashlights (like most 1xAA). When the frequency is low (<120 Hz or so), it can be very distracting for those us sensitive to it (think strobe effect at a disco Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is the common method for reducing output for Lo/Med modes in small flashlights (like most 1xAA). When the frequency is low (<120 Hz or so), it can be very distracting for those us sensitive to it (think strobe effect at a disco :green:).

200-300Hz is generally acceptable in practice, although still noticeable. You need to go >1000 Hz (1 kHz) for it not to be visually detectable (the Preons are very good >2.4 kHz). But with increasing frequency, you typically loose some efficiency. Well worth the trade-off in my opinion.

Note that some people are not bothered by low freq PWM - individual sensitivity varies.

Written by Batang Regla on 12-21-2010 01:23 PM GMT

Thank you very much for explaining it selfbuilt.

How would i know if a light has a high pwm? Do you have any lists of 1aaa lights that has high pwm (i think i will be collecting 1aaa lights. Easy to use, pocket friendly. )
Written by HKJ on 12-21-2010 02:27 PM GMT

Batang Regla said:
Thank you very much for explaining it selfbuilt.

How would i know if a light has a high pwm? Do you have any lists of 1aaa lights that has high pwm (i think i will be collecting 1aaa lights. Easy to use, pocket friendly. )
You have to check the You have to check the review sites for pwm, both Selfbuild and my site has measurement of it.

For collecting AAA lights my site is probably the right place to start, I have been collecting and testing then for some time.

Written by selfbuilt on 12-21-2010 04:26 PM GMT

HKJ said:
You have to check the review sites for pwm, both Selfbuild and my site has measurement of it.

For collecting AAA lights my site is probably the right place to start, I have been collecting and testing then for some time.
I second that - HKJ has an extensive collection of I second that - HKJ has an extensive collection of 1xAAA lights. :)

I hadn't though to list PWM freq in a master list anywhere - you would have to scroll down in my individual reviews until you get to the PWM section.

Note that PWM freq can change over time, as manufacturer's revise their production methods. I know for example the newer ITP A3 lights have >1 kHz PWM (certainly improved over the older 200 Hz reported in my review). I haven't tested one directly, though.

Written by Batang Regla on 12-22-2010 03:14 PM GMT

Ok thank again. HKJ i will read your reviews.
Written by cana33 on 01-04-2011 04:49 PM GMT

amaretto said:
I use a 10440 Li-ion in my preon 1 (even its not recommended) and its remarkable brighter than my preon 2 with 2x AAA. With 10440 you'll get a micro pocket cannon :eek:. I had no problems until now with the li-ion because i use my lights only short term (no longer than 1-2 minutes). Dont know if there would be any problems if you use it longer. Try it or not by your own risk.

amaretto: have you had any subsequent problems using the 10440's since your Jan 2010 post? Also, can you use it for longer than 1-2 minutes on medium w/o too much heat?

Written by srfreddy on 02-12-2011 05:56 PM GMT

Oh, and the Maratacs have emmiter centering rings. Is thePreon set still sold somewhere?

Written by EDcLED on 02-13-2011 08:20 AM GMT

Thanks to thereview I like my preon even more. I notice more than hint of green tint but I am sensitive to tint and rather green than blue. I was wondering if any out there have found that by using the spare tail O-ring that switching with one hand is a breeze, it sure did wonders for me. I don't know how water resistant that would be but I will just buy another if if falls in the bring and drowns.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: 4Sevens Preon Review (1xAAA & 2xAAA): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!
Written by EDcLED on 02-13-2011 09:45 AM GMT

brightnorm said:
Frankly, I am disappointed with my new Preon 1. Despite its excellent beam and stylish body this is basically a two-handed light, and that pretty much invalidates it for my use. I am sorry that in this case 4Sevens chose form over function. A shame, because it is otherwise such a fine light.

Brightnorm
Have you tried using the spare tail end O-ring which is thiner? I did that and am fully satisfied now that I can run through all modes one handed. Seems like I read of that trick on CPF. As to ruducing water resistance I am sure it would do that but for me I would just buy another one. It is such a slick light in all ways IMHO! Have you tried using the spare tail end O-ring which is thiner? I did that and am fully satisfied now that I can run through all modes one handed. Seems like I read of that trick on CPF. As to ruducing water resistance I am sure it would do that but for me I would just buy another one. It is such a slick light in all ways IMHO!
Re: 4Sevens Preon Review (1xAAA & 2xAAA): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!
Written by pinetree89 on 02-13-2011 12:06 PM GMT

Been EDCing my Preon 1 for about a month now. It's the perfect size for my front shirt pocket. Love the modes, and the form factor.

I went ahead and shelled out the extra bucks for an S2 Preon 2. While it's a nice light, I find the the form factor of the Preon 1 carries so much easier in the front shirt pocket. Additionally, the high setting on the Preon 1 is plenty for 99.9% of my EDC needs. I'm amazed at this light.

The only caveat I'd give on the Preon 1 is be sure to keep the contact surface on the top of the battery tube clean, as well as the contacts in the bezel. These get dirty with use and with a twisty like this it can cause you to skip through modes. Also, a small amount of lube on the threads help keep things nice and smooth.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

Last edited:

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another great review (as usual!)

I love my Preon 1 Ti. I added a clicky tail switch and it's even handier. I even found a use for the strobe mode at work - I use it when walking through our big warehouse so I don't get "squished" by a forklift. The strobe makes sure the drivers see me. I love this little light!

pblanch

Enlightened
I also put the clicky tail cap on my Preon 1 Ti. Very useful. Nice low. Both my Preon Ti (1+2) when twisting the heads feels like grating steel with sandpaper. I cleaned and re lubed them and that made it a bit better but still rough. My Black Preon 1 is silky smooth when taking the cap/head off so am wondering if that's just a characteristic of Titanium. I am amazed at the heat that it pumps out on high. They are both ti so it does transfer heat better as stated by self build but still I didn't expect it. Does get too hot to touch its just not what I was expecting. I also put a chap stick cap on it and it make a great diffuser. Fits perfectly and better than the EO5 trick.

Although I only got them in cool would have loved to have a neutral color. Also in Medium has a buzz for both 1 +2 battery configs. Anyone else get this.

pblanch

Enlightened
I read that review before I got them. Thanks for the effort selfbuilt I appreciate the honest reviews that you (all all the cpf) give. I don't fully understand all of the technical details that many provide but I do enjoy reading them and am slowly picking things up.

I think they are a great little light and when I got them on special (black friday) I really thought I got myself a bargain. The black Preon 1 is going to be a great Xmas present (I am keeping the Titanium models though)

Samy

Enlightened
I'm having occasional problems with my 2 month old preon2. In the past week occasionally the tail clicky won't work. I have to tap the light and press the clicky half a dozen times and wiggle it a bit to get the light to turn on and/or function properly. Does any else have similar experiences?

Cheers

Peichor

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great review. I'm just trying to choose the preon I or II.

kreisler

Banned
several youtube videos show how to disassemble the tail clicky and implement some minor modifications (improvements).

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
several youtube videos show how to disassemble the tail clicky and implement some minor modifications (improvements).
what type of mods for improvements?

also, does anyone know if the titanium preon switch is more 'solid' and has less play in the button moving around than the non-titanium switches they sell? that's the one thing I don't like about the preon series is how the clicky switches, well, the black one at least, have a lot of play and movement in the buttons (side to side, etc.)

kreisler

Banned
youtube: people stuff toilet paper, thick mini o-rings or mini split rings right beneath the button cap. this measure reduces the play between the cap and the actual click button. there are several vids demostarting it afaik.

i m out of time. need to leave, bye