4Sevens Preon ReVO Review with OTF Lumens, 140 minute runtime and Beamshots

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4Sevens Preon ReVO Review with OTF Lumens and 140 minute runtime

I would say efficiency has improved quite alot. A small single AAA light matching closely against a CR123 light is pretty damn good.
Try comparing the P1 with another CR123 light, like the 4Sevens Quark123. About double the runtime at 85 lumens.
P1 vs Q123 is an apples to oranges comparison.

1) Firstly the P1's lumen rating was grossly inflated. It was not even "bulb lumens," it was calculated/theoretical lumens. Q123 is actual OTF (out the front)

2) The Q123 has a much more sophisticated circuit. Not only does it fully support li-ion's with a wide voltage range of 0.9-4.2v through two separate drivers (buck and boost). Also, the Q123 has a MCU (microprocessor) that controls the drivers to put out different levels. The P1 is simply a boost circuit and use of li-ions are at your own risk (and to the risk of the LED since it's direct drive).

Dual

Newly Enlightened

sorry double post. :duh2:

Last edited:

Dual

Newly Enlightened

Interesting info. I guess thats why im "unenlightened". :whistle:

So how has efficiency improved the pass few years?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is just too much! All these superlatives of this little light! And I just strongly decided to not buy any more light this year except from Malkoff M31LL dropin...My wallet is screaming!...:eek:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting info. I guess thats why im "unenlightened". :whistle:

So how has efficiency improved the pass few years?

take a look at the emitter index linked in my sig. the spreadsheet on my site tells quite a bit.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thumbsup: Thanks a million ti-force! That is one hell of a runtime with super flat regulation from an AAA sized light. I just can't wait for my stainless one to arrive. Might take another week. :ironic:

No problem :thumbsup:.

Amazing review:party::party::party::party::party:

What happens if you put a li-on AAA cell???:devil:

Thanks for the complement BigC :D. I think running a Li-ion cell would direct drive the emitter. I'm guessing 200 + OTF, but this thing is so small that it would heat up really quick :poof:.

Thanks for the graph - very nice runtimes.

You're welcome, and agreed on the nice runtimes :thumbsup:.

This is just too much! All these superlatives of this little light! And I just strongly decided to not buy any more light this year except from Malkoff M31LL dropin...My wallet is screaming!...:eek:

:devil:......:poke:......;)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm planning to make time to take beamshots tonight. Stay tuned.

edc3

Enlightened

Thanks for another great review. I'm really wanting one, but I don't have a real good excuse to buy one. :broke:

bodhran

Enlightened

As always, thanks for a great review. I wasn't sure about getting this light until I read your thread here. Needless to say, mine came in the mail this afternoon and I picked up a pack of the Energizer ultimate's. Can't wait to see your beamshots.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for another great review. I'm really wanting one, but I don't have a real good excuse to buy one. :broke:

As always, thanks for a great review. I wasn't sure about getting this light until I read your thread here. Needless to say, mine came in the mail this afternoon and I picked up a pack of the Energizer ultimate's. Can't wait to see your beamshots.

Thanks for the kind words guys, and I'm glad you guys found this review helpful :thumbsup:

I've also updated the first post with the dimensions of this light, but I'll post them right here also so you don't have to go back to the first page.

Dimensions:
*NOTE*All dimensions were taken by me. I used my calipers for length and diameter, and my Pelouze PE5 scales for weight measurements.

Length with battery: 2.843" or 72.21mm (*NOTE* this measurement was taken with the head loosened to mimic every day carry)

Length without battery: 2.822" or 71.69mm

Diameter: .502" or 12.76mm

Weight with Energizer Ultimate Lithium: .6 oz. or 18g

Weight with Duracell Coppertop Alkaline: .7 oz. or 22g

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

First post updated with beamshots, but again, I'll include the info here as well.

*BEAMSHOTS*
I've taken some comparison beamshots of the Preon ReVO against a Mini 123. The ReVO on High really doesn't compare to the Mini 123 on high, but it's not supposed to. The main reason I'm comparing both of these lights against each other on high is to give Mini 123 owners an idea of the beam profile and brightness of the ReVO. All settings remained the same unless otherwise noted, and distance from the pine tree to each light is roughly 20ft. Also keep in mind that these images are over exposed some. It's almost impossible to capture an image of what my eyes see because all I get is a visible hotspot without capturing the spill. So basically, I had to do this so you could compare the entire beam profile and not just the hotspot :thumbsup:.

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

The next three images are .gif comparisons of the beamshots:
Mini-123-ReVO-High.gif

Mini-123-ReVO-Medium.gif

ReVO-Medium-vs-High.gif

jiuong

Newly Enlightened

Execellent review and beamshots, can't wait for my SS Revo to arrive.

SFfanman

Enlightened

Great review! I am a bit suprised you chose an outdoor setting for the AAA Revo, but I understand in comparison with the MINI123. The runtime is impressive on lithium versions as well and anyone know if some kind of rechargeable can be ran safetly?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review! I am a bit suprised you chose an outdoor setting for the AAA Revo, but I understand in comparison with the MINI123. The runtime is impressive on lithium versions as well and anyone know if some kind of rechargeable can be ran safetly?
I guess the only safe rechargeable would be 1.2V NiMH AAA or the Sanyo 800mAh Micro Eneloop AAA batteries. I don't think it would be wise to run 3.7V Li-Ion in the ReVO. If Li-Ion heats up my MiNi AA very fast, I believe it would heat up the ReVO even faster with the smaller body construction.

bard

Newly Enlightened

I'm considering either the ReVO or a Mini AA to replace a lost Preon 1. Could anyone comment on the differences and advantages/disadvantages of each beyond the obvious brightness and runtime differences?

bodhran

Enlightened

I know the camera doesn't show what is seen by the human eye but does the Revo have a more neutral tint? Just seemed to me that the color rendition of the tree was more natural than the 123 beam.

Quension

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, it looks like the XP-E ReVO has a hotspot as large as the XP-G MiNi, and manages to have a smoother spill transition as well. It looks like the beam width is a bit narrower than the MiNi, though.

Does that match what you actually see vs the camera?