4xAA Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEOS, PROS & CONS, and more!

Vigi Driver

Banned
Can 14500 Batteries be safely ran in the TN4A? Per my calculation the total voltage output of four 14500 Batteries in the Thrunite's battery pack (two pair of batteries in Series)(the two pairs are in Parallel) is 7.4 Volts which is less than the maximum 8 Volts given in the TN4A's Specification.

Do any of you agree with me or have you tried it and turned your flashlight into a fireball?

Thanks for you responses.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can 14500 Batteries be safely ran in the TN4A? Per my calculation the total voltage output of four 14500 Batteries in the Thrunite's battery pack (two pair of batteries in Series)(the two pairs are in Parallel) is 7.4 Volts which is less than the maximum 8 Volts given in the TN4A's Specification.

Do any of you agree with me or have you tried it and turned your flashlight into a fireball?

Thanks for you responses.

fyi: a 14500 may be listed as a nominal 3.6v or 3.7v, but common 14500 Li-Ion cells are normally charged to 4.20 volts. A 14500 Li-Ion cell voltage falls only gradually under discharge. Even if the engineers designed a safety margin into the TN4A voltage range, the voltage limits need to be respected. You might get lucky, but the LED and/or driver electronics lifetime will be shortened during any overvoltage, or even running at max voltage.

Forgot to add: Welcome to CPF! lots of information is available from the members, although with time-zone differences around the world, answers maybe slow in coming.

Last edited: