$5.50 Ristoft from DE is a GREAT Cree host!

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a simple mod to do,
Just swap the star & solder?

I'd like to put a protected 18650 in it. No resister necessary? Do I have to mod the tailcap?

And finally, does anyone know the runtime on this with a 18650? u can find these for $6 shipped at dealextreme.:naughty:

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashCrazy said:
What I've found out after modding several Ellys, and two Ristofts, is that more often it's the Cree/Star that's not centered...

I modded four Elly's with Cree's, and all four are way off center. It appears to be the star, as the reflector hole does not wobble off center as the head is tightened down.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stars are easy to center. If they're recessed in a heat sink, just file on the "points" that are in the direction the emitter has to move. If the hold down screws cause interference, file there too.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just tighten the screw that you want to move away from first, many times that's enough.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
On some of the Ristoft lights that I have modded you need to push the reflector and lens out and press them back in. The reason that I have done this is due to the reflector being crooked in the head.

If you do decide to do this I would sugguest placing the head on a table with the lens facing the table. Next, push on the back of the reflector using a highlighter like this...
picture001lg6.jpg

Press on the reflector. Make sure it is centered perfectly!
picture003xv3.jpg

Reflector and lens
picture004pw1.jpg

Reflector reinstalled
picture005xl0.jpg

Press the lens back on. Press on the sides only and not in the center or you may crack the lens.
picture006hw0.jpg

Check to make sure the lip is even all the way around the head.
picture007yt7.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like it was just a press fit. Maybe mine were made on Friday at 3 pm and they forgot the glue. :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like DX now has one of these with a magenta tube, and a compass built into the rear tailcap: Link

It might be interesting to have a distinctive looking Cree light.

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the same head found (earlier thread) on the ebay $5 [not really a] Luxeon 3xAAA --- also like the old Fifth Unit China lights that come with the old Hewlett-Packard LED.

Anyone got a list of the right resistors (meaning actually available somewhere to buy) that would work with the various different voltages needed by available upgrades? I'm thinking this would be handy for some red/orange/amber bright nighttime lights.

I'm not having much luck matching resistor calculator results to what Radio Shack sells.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Here's what a SEOUL emitter does for the RAKET:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157654
<snip>
Very nice. How good is the button on that? I like the idea of a side-mounted button as opposed to the almost ubiquitous tailcap buttons. also, if the threaded parts are interchangeable with the Ristoft, an idea that might work could be to use BOTH the tailcap switch and the side-switch on the RAKET. Add a resistor across the tailcap, and turn the tailcap switch off and on to switch between high (no resistance) and low (the added resistance). The side switch would be used to turn the light off and on as normal.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a cool idea Trinity. The side clicky works really well. I like the feel. I also like the machined texture to the body. It's not as cold as aluminum in the hand either.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a great idea, 2xTrinity! Paul, do you have a Ristoft on hand to see if the tailcap fits? I'll be modding a couple of lights to go to my inlaws, and they prefer the side switch. They use flashlights mainly for dog walking duties, and that format is better for them. On a side note, every time I mention to my mom that I'll be sending her a light to try out, the first thing she always asks is "Can you focus it, like a Maglite?" :ohgeez: I'll have to send her a modded Coast Focusing Lenser....:duck:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I haven't tried a Ristoft... yet :devil:

I saw it was 1 Watt and skipped over it :whistle:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
No, I haven't tried a Ristoft... yet :devil:

I saw it was 1 Watt and skipped over it :whistle:

You should! It's almost like a stock Hokus Focus, but with tons of spill in addition...like a Cree'd Elly...only wayyy brighter. The two that I've modded are pulling about 900-1000 mA from the batteries. Haven't done a current measurement at the LED. The hot spot is about the same quality as the Cree'd Elly (not super focused, slight ragged edges), but twice as big. The beam itself is as bright as my Glimt K2, but the spill is brighter. Excellent conversion for an all-up cost of $13!

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good deal...now get busy! I'm gonna get busy too...out to the shop to convert one of the Ristofts to accept a protected 18650.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL I saw that! It looks like there's 3 of those HP LEDs on the top...I was thinking hmmm...would 3 Crees or Seouls go in there?!? On the Ristoft, it looks like the protected 18650 I have is a bit long, even with modifying the switch as per Nitroz. :awman: I haven't given up yet though...

johnny13oi

Enlightened
FlashCrazy said:
LOL I saw that! It looks like there's 3 of those HP LEDs on the top...I was thinking hmmm...would 3 Crees or Seouls go in there?!? On the Ristoft, it looks like the protected 18650 I have is a bit long, even with modifying the switch as per Nitroz. :awman: I haven't given up yet though...

Those actually dont look like the HP leds. If they were then it would be pretty nice but I think those are normal 5mm LEDs. Theres another one where its just the 3 5mm leds without the camping lantern.

Latest posts