500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowIC

Enlightened
10440 is the battery size needed to work with the extension tube. One of my HF-R's is loaded with the Nuke and one with the 10440 . . . both at the ready!
If you look around post 1781 in this thread, there is talk of the Efest 10440 batteries. I ordered mine through the link provided (the link is in the posts somewhere around 1781). They arrived quickly and charged up with the CottonPickers charger I already have -- BONUS!

I don't think Tgwnn offers the 10440's just yet - hence the other suppliers mentioned.

Thanks smarkum. My protected 10440s didn't work in the HF-R (only flashed once) but I've got some unprotected on order.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'll be watching for the order page to come up :)

Do you offer any special batteries to use with the HF-R extension tube?

Hi NowIC,

For now, only the 10250's but perhaps sometime in the future, I may offer some more.

Okay, if there would be a preference for those who posted, I think it would be better to remember I did. Only to be sure I am in the X-run. I can't wait any longer :)

Thanks tino :)
Now I'm sure (lol)

Ok, so to answer the LEGO question, here's a photo of some MBI LEGO....

file_zps9487a051.jpg

Top left: Black Al ZoomHead, Red HF-R body, Ti HF-R tail
Top center: Ti ZoomHead, Ti HF body, Ti HF-R tail
Top right: Ti ZoomHead, Ti HF-R body, Ti HF tail

Foreground-front: Brass HF head, Brass Torpedo (short) body slightly extended.
Foreground-back: Brass Torpedo head, Brass HF long (10440) body, Brass HF tail.

Now I should just mention that using a Torpedo tail on the HF/HF-R will shorten it but there is no off/on (always on) so its not recommended. Of course, there may well be an accessory that changes that at some point in time.

Also, I guess there must be several more combinations possible, but just a quick sample I put in front of the camera.

Finally, X run Torpedo's will be Black Al only. This brass beauty is a prototype from last year.

Tgwnn

Jonnor

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all,

I have been watching this thread for a while and I must say I love what I have seen from the torpedo this far.

Since I am probably to late for a x-run I just hope the lucky 100 finds little or nothing that can be improved so a regular run will follow in short time, this is definitely a light I am going to buy.

For the X run, I'm planning something methodical, logical as opposed to random,
time window/preference for those who posted, and then after the window speed will be key.
This gives me just a little hope that perhaps there still is the tiniest chance of getting a x after the window?

Anyway, just want to congratulate you in advance on something that I am sure will be spectacular.

th8tredude

Enlightened
So looking forward to the Torpedo. And ready to order a Ti ZoomHead as soon as they're up. Any time estimate on a momentary switch and/or clicky tail? What materials and finish are you planning for those?

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Wow. What kind of...*ahem* favors would one need to do to get those brass lights from ya? :D

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass beauty is right! :cool:
Stunning!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks smarkum :D

Hello to all,

I have been watching this thread for a while and I must say I love what I have seen from the torpedo this far.

Since I am probably to late for a x-run I just hope the lucky 100 finds little or nothing that can be improved so a regular run will follow in short time, this is definitely a light I am going to buy.

This gives me just a little hope that perhaps there still is the tiniest chance of getting a x after the window?

Anyway, just want to congratulate you in advance on something that I am sure will be spectacular.

Hi Jonnor,

Thanks for watching and appreciate the support.
There's always a chance, though I think there will also be an equal number of chance takers.
Wish you luck and when the production version finally happens, your chance factor will increase to 100% :)

So looking forward to the Torpedo. And ready to order a Ti ZoomHead as soon as they're up. Any time estimate on a momentary switch and/or clicky tail? What materials and finish are you planning for those?
Thanks th8tredude,

Momentary switches,
Expecting a pre-production batch of 10 within the next 2 weeks.

If they are on par, I'll make a few of them available, then move on to make a batch in both Ti and Al.

Wow. What kind of...*ahem* favors would one need to do to get those brass lights from ya? :D

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
Hi sticktodrum,

I may (need to check "may") have a brass HF floating about, though I believe I still saw one left at the Oveready website.
As for a brass Torpedo, may be a while yet....
at least after the X-run.

Tgwnn

Packleader

Newly Enlightened
I'm excited about the X-run, too. I love how MBI has developed such a fanatic following. I think the Core Ti and the HF are great lights, but the Torpedo is going to be the game changer.

Cheers,

Packleader

Last edited:

WreckinBall

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I agree the torpedo is going to be great and even better in copper and brass not sure which I want yet hehe maybe both along with my x proto when they are ready hehe. I am mostly interested in this light because its able to run eneloops as well as lion. I am a newb to lions so when I do run it with 10440s they will be of the protected kind. I am also afraid to use unprotected cells because I often hand my light to someone else to use and they may not know anything about lions. I also hear there is a AA version in the works, and If it is multi chem as well and can run on both 14500s and eneloops I will be very interested in it even more interested in it over the torpedo heh. (bigger batteries = more output and longer run time hehe)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm excited about the X-run, too. I love how MBI has developed such a fanatic following. I think the Core Ti and the HF are great lights, but the Torpedo is going to be the game changer.

Cheers,

Packleader

Hi Packleader,

Thanks so much for the post.
I'm very fortunate to have so much generous feedback, support and patience from everybody here (and many by email only).
This great feedback & community, is the heart of what helps develop and manifest great products.

Yeah I agree the torpedo is going to be great and even better in copper and brass not sure which I want yet hehe maybe both along with my x proto when they are ready hehe. I am mostly interested in this light because its able to run eneloops as well as lion. I am a newb to lions so when I do run it with 10440s they will be of the protected kind. I am also afraid to use unprotected cells because I often hand my light to someone else to use and they may not know anything about lions. I also hear there is a AA version in the works, and If it is multi chem as well and can run on both 14500s and eneloops I will be very interested in it even more interested in it over the torpedo heh. (bigger batteries = more output and longer run time hehe)

Hi WreckinBall,

Thanks for the post.
Time is ticking and I know I have to get the Torpedo update with details ready within roughly 2weeks at most as I'll be away for a short while and have the ensure everything is perfectly lined up in advance of that.

Of course the first Torpedo run will be X and I'll layout out the details and what I think is perfect and what's not in advance of accepting any orders but I do worry about people thinking its the final, perfect product (which its not yet, mainly as I think the UI needs some adjustment) and part of the reason for doing an X run to begin with.
I think I can confidently say, its going to be one helluva good looking thing to hold in your hands (meaning the entire experience, package included) but even that I am tweaking to the Nth degree in these last hours.

Tgwnn

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Hi sticktodrum,

I may (need to check "may") have a brass HF floating about, though I believe I still saw one left at the Oveready website.
As for a brass Torpedo, may be a while yet....
at least after the X-run.

Tgwnn

Touche! I was hoping it'd be a 3 mode, but it seems there's an HF R there with 3 modes. Mine! Thanks for the heads up, didn't know Overready even carried these. I guess it's because whenever I looked on that site it was for the Peak lights. Woot!

So, my first MBI light is coming. Now I just need another to accompany it...you know, to torpedo this whole MBI collection forward. :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Touche! I was hoping it'd be a 3 mode, but it seems there's an HF R there with 3 modes. Mine! Thanks for the heads up, didn't know Overready even carried these. I guess it's because whenever I looked on that site it was for the Peak lights. Woot!

So, my first MBI light is coming. Now I just need another to accompany it...you know, to torpedo this whole MBI collection forward. :D

Hi sticktodrum,

Hopefully something landed your way ;)

I gotta say, an AA torpedo would make a lot of sense! I'd be all in. I love little AA lights.
Perhaps and eventually a AA Torpedo could happen but first things first :)

I'm getting ready to put together the subscriber update which has to go out at latest next week.
Still a lot of things to figure out, decide in terms of making the madness that is sure to follow run smoothly so spending some time to think all that through as well.

I'm considering doing a partial pre-order for the first 50 slots, to lock them in as the first shipping batch and to try and limit the size of my forthcoming mountain. Then once everything arrives and I've completed inspections, release the remaining ones.

Or, perhaps wait until they are here, and just let things go totally wild.....

Packing, addressing and labelling seems to take me forever so being able to get some of that done in advance can mean I can get things out faster when the time comes but I need to weight the possible up/down of both patterns.

Feedback, thoughts and opinions are welcome of course.

Tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be willing to wager that those ~+- 90 fortunate people who have expressed sincere interest in helping you evaluate and find the pro's and cons of this magnficant first Torpedo "X"perimantal run, would gladly help you by preordering so that you can get that dreaded adressing and pre-packaging done. :D

Curiously I must ask, Will the "X" run include that awsome case?

GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be willing to wager that those ~+- 90 fortunate people who have expressed sincere interest in helping you evaluate and find the pro's and cons of this magnficant first Torpedo "X"perimantal run, would gladly help you by preordering so that you can get that dreaded adressing and pre-packaging done. :D

Curiously I must ask, Will the "X" run include that awsome case?

GL

Hi GL,

Thanks.
THE Torpedo Case, yes of course.
I've been going through multiple prototypes of even the case to maximise its form and function.

I don't know if I'm done yet but I think even my least favorite proto is good :p

Tgwnn

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally if it is going to cost you more $ to do X run with a case, please leave it out. If you have fancy boxes and packaging yet to be manufactured, leave those out as well. Just put it into R&D. The package and such should be for once you get a production run.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally if it is going to cost you more $ to do X run with a case, please leave it out. If you have fancy boxes and packaging yet to be manufactured, leave those out as well. Just put it into R&D. The package and such should be for once you get a production run.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

As much as I love the case I'm a little with Tixx on that one. If it either lowers the price or allows more time and money for R&D I don't mind not having it for the X run. Plus the savings on shipping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow I've missed that there is an awesome Torpedo case!!!!!!! Not surprised about that!!!!! Great job Guy! Excitement is building now. . . :hitit:

I've kind of avoided posting it here, since I realized it was taking longer than expected and wanted to avoid potential copycat issues but as its so near, I can definitely post some.

As much as I love the case I'm a little with Tixx on that one. If it either lowers the price or allows more time and money for R&D I don't mind not having it for the X run. Plus the savings on shipping.

Hi Tixx, Alex,
Thanks and really appreciate the feedback.

Im currently going through final confirmation of costs and have my fingers crossed I don't forget anything but honestly, there's no way possible to break even on the X run so I don't plan to and not worried about it on this baby, at this stage.

My one and only goal is feedback on the Torpedo, UI (for the new folks who may be reading, that's user interface, specifically the selector ring used to change modes), the function, shape and of course feedback on the package is important to me but as you both mentioned, less critical at this stage of course.

Some things are just hard to know until you hold in your hands and try.

I do want to keep the price as close to the original target as I can (though I'm seriously way, way, way over budget).
I don't think the X is 100% perfect yet (or production ready hence the reason its X) but its close enough to give you a very very good feel for what the production version will be.

I'm considering 3 potential X packages as follows:
1) A bare bones package, with a standard emitter (XML or XML2)
which I can make available for something a little more than original target price (but not very much more).
2) A full package, with case & 10250's (for those who don't have any 10250's or need more and of course who want the case)
3) Potentially (not decided on this), an emitter upgrade package to either a neutral, high CRI XML/XML2 or just the baddest most powerful newest XML2 I can get my hands on.

Of course, its a little hard to judge on your end until prices are shown but I should have them nailed down by monday at the very latest.

The only way I can offer different options though would be with a pre-order or at least partial pre-order as I need to get the right number of LEDs in advance and know number of cases, 10250's etc.

I'm willing to eat most of the cost of the case on the X run as to me, its a critical part of the Torpedo concept and at this volume, its extremely expensive to make but must be done nonetheless so I'm planning to make it available in a way that becomes too attractive to pass up. As the molds, design have already been made, its only the production expense but to me at least, the case, is every much a part of the dream to me now as the Torpedo. Initially, it was planned as a surprise but as things took so long.....
well, here we are.

After the X run, once feedback is in and everything is ready to move to a production run, I'm very much considering kickstarter or indiegogo as the next phase and what I'd like to do, is hire the very best circuit design company (in da world) to make the final Torpedo pcb, to spec, the exact and precise way its meant to be. Some of the quotes I had from the bigger companies were ~$20K just to get the proto's designed and delivered but with a guarantee they would work exactly to my specification or my monkeys back and they can build stuff for satellites, computers and more, they can complete this for us when the time comes but to reach that phase...
we must first pass through this X.

However it pans out, I've come this far and so no intention whatsoever of stopping till the end goal is met, but I feel the final product, will actually be even better than the current target specs because I'll be able to integrate real use feedback and enhancements into the final design.

Whew...
I had no intention of writing such a long post :)
Just happened.

Thank you ;)

Tgwnn

p.s. it goes without saying but feedback is definitely welcome

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
How wonderful to read.
How did you know I was flying? (Hence the great news)

My only question is why would you pay the pcb company with monkeys? I mean monkeys are cool but isn't that pretty much who it's doing the work now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.