500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
The package options seem like great ideas, and considering I have no 10250's, I'll gladly spring for that. The third option is very alluring, especially since you mentioned high CRI XMLs.

I do hope I get a spot on your X run list, I'll be watching my email closely.

I also had no idea about a case, but the case for the HF is pretty brilliant so I'm excited at the prospect of a Torpedo case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I don't think I've EVER posted these in the thread here but as we are very close now,
here goes...

Enjoy!

Below: MBI Torpedo™ Case

file_zps37f30eac.jpg

Below: MBI Torpedo™ Contents (clip not visible)
file_zpsa3ea79e6.jpg

Below: Inside the MBI Torpedo™ Case
file_zpscd41b0ca.jpg

Below: Inside the MBI Torpedo™ Case #2
file_zpsb8fc83f5.jpg

Please note, these are some of the earlier protos and the final may be very slightly different.

Just in case it's not obvious, the Torepdo™ case design is based on an actual Torpedo
icon6.gif

On the case, I've explored multiple options for the Red section to allow it to hold 10250's & 10440's without risk of them falling loose.

I'll post the newest proto when/if have a chance which can do that but I prefer the version pictured above (though there is now a plastic mold to hold the batteries rather than foam and it can hold four rather than three) and I'm leaning towards just supporting 10250's in the X case to simplify things (as I won't have 10440's available yet).

I should also mention that I have no idea how customs handles this and of course the final production package may change, so it may be the one and only case (or not).

Tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
What pictures! Beautiful. We've seen glimpses but never a full photo.

Also, I think the variation in emitters could be very helpful in determining best possible options for final run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
How wonderful to read.
How did you know I was flying? (Hence the great news)

My only question is why would you pay the pcb company with monkeys? I mean monkeys are cool but isn't that pretty much who it's doing the work now?

The monkeys was intentional :D

somewhere, a long long time ago, I remember seeing....

"satisfaction guaranteed or your monkeys back!" and it was for a free product so it was a cool play on words.
These days, I'm the main monkey though ;)

The package options seem like great ideas, and considering I have no 10250's, I'll gladly spring for that. The third option is very alluring, especially since you mentioned high CRI XMLs.

I do hope I get a spot on your X run list, I'll be watching my email closely.

I also had no idea about a case, but the case for the HF is pretty brilliant so I'm excited at the prospect of a Torpedo case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks sticktodrum,

I have to check the excel I made up and then work out how to implement it....

But now that you have seen THE case,
allow me to share with you all that if you like the photos
just wait till you hold it in your hands.

I've had these for almost 2 years now and still love staring at them,
holding them, admiring them (yes I know I'm crazy).

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was one of my original design drafts...

check the label ;)

file_zps564b5769.jpg

Though now, I don't think I can put the label on the case....
but I "may" include it and you can decide if you want to add it.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
What pictures! Beautiful. We've seen glimpses but never a full photo.

Also, I think the variation in emitters could be very helpful in determining best possible options for final run.

Thanks Alex.

I think once the circuit is truly perfect, I'll offer various choices in emitters.
I'm happy to consider XPG2 as well for the X but I'd like to limit it to two emitters.
One standard, and one custom in order to prevent costs from spiralling too much.

Tgwnn

p.s. I have shown the photo's in the subscriber only updates, just not on cpf before.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
Thank You for your detailed post, that was very a very good read.
I enjoyed the pictures you shared of the case immensely.
If I become an "X" tester, Would you consider the same binned emitter used in the HF-R UTT?
I really like white beamed tint of those emitters :D
Do You have an estimated time on the gathering of customs info needed to include the case?

Your thoughts, designs, and efforts for the making of the Torpedo, it's case, and the batteries has exceded many a flashaholics wildest dreams. You deserve far more praise and recognition than only I can give. Many Thanks :bow: for your desires to see this thru to a production ready release of it.

MBI Life Member
GL

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that, GL.

MBI life member. Maybe we can make some logo for it and put it in our Sig lines

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with GL, wholeheartedly, about all of it. The white emitter and all.

Guy, send me good clean pic of the Torpedo and I'll design us a Torpedo "X" T-shirt like the HF. :) If I could just drop-in on ya, I'd gladly take the pic me own self! ;)

I'll start playing the lottery, if I can win a big chunk 0 change I'll spot you the Gorilla contract. (the bigger monkey, as it were)

th8tredude

Enlightened
I'd certainly be happy to pre-order, and even pre-pay! I can't imagine dealing with all the costs of R&D. I keep buying your other stuff while anxiously awaiting this, and I'm sure that helps, but we all need to help keep you solvent so we can keep getting all the cool new toy's!

cactux

Newly Enlightened
Super idea :)

Guy, send me good clean pic of the Torpedo and I'll design us a Torpedo "X" T-shirt like the HF. :) If I could just drop-in on ya, I'd gladly take the pic me own self! ;)

I'll start playing the lottery, if I can win a big chunk 0 change I'll spot you the Gorilla contract. (the bigger monkey, as it were)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
Thank You for your detailed post, that was very a very good read.
I enjoyed the pictures you shared of the case immensely.
If I become an "X" tester, Would you consider the same binned emitter used in the HF-R UTT?
I really like white beamed tint of those emitters :D
Do You have an estimated time on the gathering of customs info needed to include the case?

Your thoughts, designs, and efforts for the making of the Torpedo, it's case, and the batteries has exceded many a flashaholics wildest dreams. You deserve far more praise and recognition than only I can give. Many Thanks :bow: for your desires to see this thru to a production ready release of it.

MBI Life Member
GL

Hi GL,

Thanks for the post and kind words.
Not sure I'm going to gather any customs info but I expect it should be just fine, as it is after all a flashlight and package its just that you never know these days how the powers at be behave.

I like the UTT tint too and happy to get more of those.

I like that, GL.

MBI life member. Maybe we can make some logo for it and put it in our Sig lines

I'll send you a patch when they are ready ;)

Thanks Dale,
I should have some photo's soon :)
Please check the status of the tunnel with Cataract.
I think he may be lost down there!

I'd certainly be happy to pre-order, and even pre-pay! I can't imagine dealing with all the costs of R&D. I keep buying your other stuff while anxiously awaiting this, and I'm sure that helps, but we all need to help keep you solvent so we can keep getting all the cool new toy's!
Thanks th8tredude ;)

Super idea :)
Thanks cactux :)

I would Pre order. Would love a neutral emitter option (any type).
Thanks gunga ;)

:sssh:... :huh:... :eek:... :rock:

Best representation I can manage of how I'm feeling seeing these pics!

Hi Megatrowned,

Thanks and pleased you like it :D

So here are my current thoughts on the emitter choice:

1) Standard LED
I can go with an XML U3 (which is the easiest for me as I still have some) as the standard
or possibly the XML2 U2 as the standard but it will increase the standard price so leaning towards the U3.
The tint of the U2 will be nicer though (6000K vs 6500~ for the U3)

2) Optional LED
The UTT emitter has been very well received and it is a very nice tint.
Its 75CRI 5000K neutral white XML T6 so I'd be happy to go with that.
Will likely add $7~$10 (depending on the number ordered).

Look forward to your feedback.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optional. Love a white, non tint beam. :)

Cataracts lost in the tunnel?

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Will report back asap capn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just heard from Cataract. He's somehow starting digging a second branch. He says his math calculates it heads for Australia. How this happened, we do not know. Maybe there is female unicorns there?!

A perfect neutral white tint would be perfect for testing purposes, I just have a slightly stronger liking to warmer tints.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optional. Love a white, non tint beam. :)

Cataracts lost in the tunnel?

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Will report back asap capn

Thanks Dale.

Just heard from Cataract. He's somehow starting digging a second branch. He says his math calculates it heads for Australia. How this happened, we do not know. Maybe there is female unicorns there?!

A perfect neutral white tint would be perfect for testing purposes, I just have a slightly stronger liking to warmer tints.

Thanks Alex,

I think Zandar was after him....

As to the warmer tints, well me too but I'd better hold off on more crazy ideas at this second :D

Tgwnn

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guy,

Quick question- you said you wont be doing 10440's with the X run.. do you just mean you wont include 10440's, or the x-run Torpedo wont be compatible with 10440's? Will the X-Torpedo still come with the 10440 body? I ask, because while I do plan on using the nukes, I bought 10440's solely for the purpose of using them with the Torpedo. lol.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy,

Quick question- you said you wont be doing 10440's with the X run.. do you just mean you wont include 10440's, or the x-run Torpedo wont be compatible with 10440's? Will the X-Torpedo still come with the 10440 body? I ask, because while I do plan on using the nukes, I bought 10440's solely for the purpose of using them with the Torpedo. lol.

Hi Panges,

Thanks for the Q
Definitely comes with both bodies and supports 10440 ( perhaps even recommended over 10250 ).
I only meant I won't be able to supply the10440's themselves.
Tgwnn
Sent via my iThing

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aaagh, I see. I too am hoping for a slightly warmer tint than the XML-U3s, although my strongest liking so far has been the HF XM-L T5 NW, it's my favorite tint. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the increase in brightness from it's newer cousins. I am hoping for when the time comes that we will be able to order spare heads for the MBI wonders Guy is cranking out. Kinda like Extreme Output, Pure White XM-L2, A much brighter Nichia 229:)) I know these aren't here yet), A XM-L2 HCRI, A XM-L UV, and perhaps some colored XM-L's.

I can envision a new MBI AA/14500 based light . . . How bout a 2-1/2" light that uses a SST-90, ooowww YA, ~2000 lumen rocket torch :D. It's all Dale's fault for mentioning insanity :duh2:

Cataract should be consentrating on making the tunnel a much bigger in diameter than present . . . Guy desperately needs a much Larger Oven to put all this stuff in than we can send him with the tunnels current size :D

GL

Status
Not open for further replies.