500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
Yes

I managed to reach Guy.
Non life threatening health problems are keeping him from going online at all.
He wants to, and he also is working to be able to start engaging slowly soon,
but did not specify when.

I'll check back in August.

Anyone know if he's ok? I sent him a couple a couple emails over the last few weeks and haven't heard back.

He had typically been very responsive.

Andde

Newly Enlightened
Guy started the project in 2011. Last post here is 11-09-2016,

I am starting to believe, that my torpedo exploded on the target.

Andde

Newly Enlightened
Guy started the project in 2011. Last post here is 11-09-2016,

I am starting to believe, that my torpedo exploded on the target.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
is anyone still carrying this leg poker? if you are and if you have a 3d printer i have the answer for you.

pix
https://goo.gl/photos/k5pPvPn49QeNXBkD6

stl
https://tinkercad.com/things/9ptC9FJKScR

I don't visit this thread too often so forgive my late reply. I'll try to post a couple of photos of my solution to the "leg poker". The leather knife pouch is a perfect fit for the Torp and while it protects me from being poked it also protects the Torp from my keys, change, etc. Anyway, it's a win/win for me.
2iu2d93.jpg

2ltpugw.jpg

RCantor

Enlightened
They're not nearly as small but for some they may fill the need or desire. Search for the new D4 or D1. Very high output with super small tubes for 18350 - 18650, infinitely variable and choice of LEDs.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the final version been released, the light has been 6.0 years in the works, no?
And did the design get adapted to current power led technology? afaik the latest led in the past 2 years have been XHP CREE as adopted by Zebralighted
I am still on XM-L2 and Sunwayman and Olight still release new models with these old emitters

6 full years woah. That's even before i was born (in the flashlight scene), ages.

Looking forward to final release version.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes

I managed to reach Guy.
Non life threatening health problems are keeping him from going online at all.
He wants to, and he also is working to be able to start engaging slowly soon,
but did not specify when.

I'll check back in August.

Were you able to touch base again in August, or more recently? The MBI website is no more. I would hate for this to be the last we hear of Guy.

cnlson

Newly Enlightened
Were you able to touch base again in August, or more recently? The MBI website is no more. I would hate for this to be the last we hear of Guy.

whois shows it is still a registered website and it was just renewed in october. just does not have a valid name server pointing to it now. if we had the ip i'm betting it's still there
It might be that he does not having any products to sell. He was doing this as a hobby and the way this project went, with multiple board designs I'm not sure he ever recovered financially.

Andde

Newly Enlightened
Now i really start to believe this project died. Not too worried about my money (i did get HF), but i would have liked to see the torpedo and the charger.. I hope Guy returns of course, but the chances are slim. Last post here is November 2016.. What a pity.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, his products are unique and just downright cool.
It took a few months, but Guy did everything he said he was going to do, fulfilled my order of the matchbox micro-lights from his kickstarter, and even gave me two free replacement heads for my HF.

I do hope to see his return one day

5TKQc4.jpg

easilyled

Flashaholic
I agree with the above two posters in that Guy will be sorely missed by me if he doesn't return to CPF. However his health is more important than satisfying my flashlight addiction (which he did admirably) and I hope for and wish him all the best in that department. Guy was extremely nice, friendly and polite in my dealings with him and he always erred on the side of generosity. I only hope that working so hard to please us wasn't a contributory factor in whatever is ailing him at present.

MKLight

Enlightened
I agree with the above two posters in that Guy will be sorely missed by me if he doesn't return to CPF. However his health is more important than satisfying my flashlight addiction (which he did admirably) and I hope for and wish him all the best in that department. Guy was extremely nice, friendly and polite in my dealings with him and he always erred on the side of generosity. I only hope that working so hard to please us wasn't a contributory factor in whatever is ailing him at present.

Well said...I fully agree!

cnlson

Newly Enlightened
What happen to TGWNN?

He has some vague health problems. We do not have the specifics of.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were not stress related from this project. After the initial shipments (1-4) there was some feedback and he attempted to iterate the controller board. Several failed attempts, a vendor change, and some other things happened and then and then and then nothing more transpired on this thread except a Guywatch which continues to this day.

I don't think TGWNN was a high enough volume seller to make up the losses and i think he has suffered ever since from it.
I wish we could wipe the slate so he could come back but I also know if i was in group 5 i'd be upset I never got mine.

I hope i am wrong, and guy gets better and comes back. But if he doesn't at least he was a shooting star that we all got to witness flash through the sky

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really wish an update would be posted. I'm still out $100 or so on this light from like 5 years ago or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.