500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've added the link to post #1,
also updated the torpedo manual to make some things a little more obvious
(and corrected the date, thanks joe)

The link will stay the same, I'll just be updating the content on it.

tgwnn

p.s. no sign of the new Core Ti's so I'll aim to work on the Torpedo Update today (means the middle of the night).

BVH

Flashaholic
Catching up after a few days away. I see in the draft manual, it lists the Cree XM-L T6/T5. Not being that "up" on LED's, what color temps are these and at what point will a final selection be made?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catching up after a few days away. I see in the draft manual, it lists the Cree XM-L T6/T5. Not being that "up" on LED's, what color temps are these and at what point will a final selection be made?

Hi BVH,

For the proto, planning to have one of each of:
T6 5000K
T5 4500K

Then for production, depending on availability, either or both.
Once I have the proto and some beam shots, planning to make the final decision but as long as there is no major cost difference,
I'm happy to have both (and possibly one other).

tgwnn

Helmut.G

Enlightened
hey guy,

I just read the manual, it's looking very nice, but you might want to include a page on how to actually use the light ;)

You said you corrected the date but it's still saying 2012 :sssh:

And eneloops are NiMH batteries, too ;)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guy,

I just read the manual, it's looking very nice, but you might want to include a page on how to actually use the light ;)
You said you corrected the date but it's still saying 2012 :sssh:
And eneloops are NiMH batteries, too ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

About "how to use", yes of course, its coming....
its listed in the contents as p5,6 but need to complete it.

About the date....
Let me try again :D

About eneloops & NiMH, yes of course, I realize, but not sure if a non-flashaholic will, so providing a "safe" & familiar brand they will recognize and that I plan to test in the final version seems to make sense though I will review the manual again closely once the final version is ready.

tgwnn

MT_155

Newly Enlightened
Eneloops are currently listed as 1.5v instead of 1.2v.

And just as feedback, to me 'Adjustable 4 mode output' implies user adjustable, 'Self-adjusting 4 mode output' reads better (and possibly sounds more user friendly for non-flashaholics).

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are currently listed as 1.5v instead of 1.2v.

And just as feedback, to me 'Adjustable 4 mode output' implies user adjustable, 'Self-adjusting 4 mode output' reads better (and possibly sounds more user friendly for non-flashaholics).

Thanks for the feedback Mt_155,
appreciated of course.

I do still have the eneloops listed at 1.5V (I'll be checking all the datasheets for exact specs for the final version).

I can see I'm going to be getting into a bind here but very glad to have all the feedback :)
To me, "self-adjusting" would seem to imply that the light adjusts itself (but I'm on the crazy side).
Maybe just better to say 4 modes (or 4 levels of brightness) and leave out "adjustable",
but this will become clearer of course once the pages of "how to operate" are done.

Again, please do treat the manual as a rough draft (the main purpose was for me to try and get all the basic info together, in some kind of legible format) but the exact wording and specs are still not final by any means, but as I had the draft started, was a quick way to post the current status.

Feedback of course is welcomed from everybody.

:thanks:
tgwnn

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
tgwnn, you are a kind and patient soul.
I'm a guy- we guys don't usually read instructions & often lights come with unintelligible translations from Chinese so I think your idea to simplify the instructions is a great idea. Just don't expect me to read it ;) (I feel from following this thread as though I have an intimate knowledge of how this baby is going to work already)
Keep up the great work!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do still have the eneloops listed at 1.5V (I'll be checking all the datasheets for exact specs for the final version).
Manual looks great so far, awesome idea releasing a draft. I would list "AAA NiMH 1.2 V" and maybe after that "(Sanyo Eneloop Recommended)". Eneloops are 1.2v LSD NiMH cells. They are probably my favorite battery out there. I'm not sure how others (e.g. Duracell, Energizer, etc.) will stack up to the Eneloops with the discharge rate that the torpedo will need, and could result in decreased performance specs. Maybe you can test a fully charged Eneloop and another AAA NiMH if possible and include both results. The specs could be very similar, but where the Eneloop stands out is it is low-self discharge as well. I know you have all ready addressed this I just wanted to provide my feedback.

I have a random question as well. Will the torpedo's electronics be potted? I plan on getting a Torpedo regardless I was just curious.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
tgwnn, you are a kind and patient soul.
I'm a guy- we guys don't usually read instructions & often lights come with unintelligible translations from Chinese so I think your idea to simplify the instructions is a great idea. Just don't expect me to read it ;) (I feel from following this thread as though I have an intimate knowledge of how this baby is going to work already)
Keep up the great work!

Thanks scottyhazard,

I'm sure you will get by just fine without reading it :thumbsup:
The UI is simple and intuitive (as long as you know there is a selector ring) and as for batteries, I hope the torpedo will run on whatever you feed it.
I too have received many a manual that seems like it was made with a really old version of google-translate so hoping for something a little better. I should say the exact format is not final yet (whether its a booklet or folded sheet,etc) as all the small additions and tweaks have slowly and surely had an impact on the cost and I still want to deliver this at the target price.

Manual looks great so far, awesome idea releasing a draft. I would list "AAA NiMH 1.2 V" and maybe after that "(Sanyo Eneloop Recommended)". Eneloops are 1.2v LSD NiMH cells. They are probably my favorite battery out there. I'm not sure how others (e.g. Duracell, Energizer, etc.) will stack up to the Eneloops with the discharge rate that the torpedo will need, and could result in decreased performance specs. Maybe you can test a fully charged Eneloop and another AAA NiMH if possible and include both results. The specs could be very similar, but where the Eneloop stands out is it is low-self discharge as well. I know you have all ready addressed this I just wanted to provide my feedback.

I have a random question as well. Will the torpedo's electronics be potted? I plan on getting a Torpedo regardless I was just curious.

Thanks TyJo,
>>AAA NiMH 1.2 V (Sanyo Eneloop Recommended)
That's a good idea :thumbsup:

A lot of people do seem to love their "Eneloops"!
As mentioned (I think), I will be testing Eneloops in the proto so I can give an idea of expected performance.

About the potted electronics, yes, that is my plan.
Will need to see how it all fits together (and take into account the thermal sensor) but we need to make sure nothing comes loose or moves around to ensure consistent performance of the sensors with the selector ring. With the small and limited amount of space, I don't think there will be any room for movement, but I have told our team to aim for bomb-proof.

tgwnn

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Can't wait to see a working prototype when you get one.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick note to say I received an early proto of the adjustable body.
Very very cool (if I do say so myself) :twothumbs

I'll post some photo's a little later.
I thought it was just the small body (without the adjustable part) until I accidentally discovered it was adjustable.
Totally stealth!

tgwnn

Acid87

Enlightened
the_guy_with_no_name said:

I thought it was just the small body (without the adjustable part) until I accidentally discovered it was adjustable.
Totally stealth!

tgwnn

Sounds awesome. For some reason I haven't been receiving the email updates. Are we still aiming for crimbo or is it going to be the new year.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Totally stealth!

tgwnn

Can't wait to see the photos!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds awesome. For some reason I haven't been receiving the email updates. Are we still aiming for crimbo or is it going to be the new year.

Hi Acid,

Feels like we are playing tag between the threads :D

I haven't sent out one for the Torpedo yet this month, soon though.
I want to finalize the clip proto first as well as a mountain load of other things to get done.

As the driver (the pcb kind) was held up, current target for the working proto is Dec 20, which means its looking like January is the month for both the Core Ti and the Torpedo.

Almost morning again here but let me take a quick photo of the short/adjustable body and post it.
Playing with it is very 007 like. Its totally a concealed secret.

...and of course, that final something special is in the works too!

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
In for pics and maybe a simple video showing how the body works if at all possible.

Can't wait to see the photos!

+2. A video is worth a thousand pictures :D (If possible of course :p)

Thanks guys,

I took some photos ready to upload and then CPF went on its usual time-out binge so could not post.

The basic mechanism is that the outer shell of the adjustable body has threads along the inside,
so just keep turning to get to the required size.

I'm considering some adjustments to that so you dont have to turn 25 times to fully extend, but for the most part,
this should be considered an emergency feature so you are not doing it ever 30 minutes, rather once every xxx.

so just quickly here are some pics.....

BELOW: (left to right) head, AAA body, Adjustable body

launchready.jpg

BELOW: (from top to bottom) AAA battery, AAA body, Adjustable body (slightly extended), 10250 battery
slightlylengthed.jpg

BELOW: (from top to bottom) AAA battery, AAA body, Adjustable body (extended to AAA size), 10250 battery
fullsize.jpg

Will see what I can do about a video sometime soon though the concept is simple,
loosen to extend, tighten to shorten.
There will be a contact spring inside the tail and an o-ring at the base end (near the tail) of the inner shell,
which should keep the tension nicely in extended position too.

gotta run...
tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.