ProMagnum - 2AA, 4AA or 6AA or 2 D cell operation

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing the ProMagnum:

pro1.jpg

I know, it's just another 2D Mag mod, but this one is a little different. This flashlight uses a 6 AA cell battery adapter for NiMh rechargeable batteries for environmentally friendly operation. It can also operate on 2 D cells which allows it to be stored on a shelf and be ready for use in an emergency.

prowall.jpg

The converter is an ArcMania built Super Converter that normally goes into a 2AA Brinkmann to make the Illuminator III. So you can think of the ProMagnum as an Illuminator III on steriods.

promag1.jpg

Bright and white, this BIN SY0J 3W Luxeon maintained around 7000 lux during the run time test which shows the NiMh life at 3 hours 20 minutes.

nimh.jpg

I just don't like generating waste in the form of dead batteries and wanted something with a decent run time and brightness. This allows some real guilt free operation and is bright enough for any outdoor task.

prowall2.jpg

Even loaded with six 2100 mAh NiMh cells it's considerably lighter than with 2D cells. Fully focusable from flood to spot and rechargeable too. Also, if you get in a pinch, it will operate with only 2 AA cells installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda>
Let me get this straight. I could run the from 2 1.2or1.5 volt batteries on up to 6?

Can you tell me how well this runs off of 2 d-cells?

I might want one of these.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, nice
so is this super converter behaves as step up and step down? (more like wizard, but much stronger?)
what is the current to the lux?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
wow, nice
so is this super converter behaves as step up and step down? (more like wizard, but much stronger?)
what is the current to the lux?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, this is step up only. Multiple AA cells are added in parallel for 3V output from the battery holder. That's how you can use 2 to 6 cells. If they were in series, you'd need dummy cells and such.

Runtime on D cells is 260 minutes (4 hours 20 min) but that's only because of the D cell internal resistance. If you let them rest for a while, you'll get again about as much run time. If used intermitently, I would guess eight to ten hours of full output from 2 D cells. I suppose a good set of NiMh D cells could get even more run time out of this set up.

Output current is set for 1.1 amps. With this SY0J it was 1.17 amps measured accross a 0.1 resistor. So, maybe a litte more when installed in the flashlight.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those stacked super convertors drive a "hotplugged" 2C MgLED with TVOJ with 2C NiMhs / NiCds and it seriously kick *** !!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to MJ

First time I fired it up I was like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Direct comparison against a 2C with LuxV on 2 LiIons makes me doubt the claim the LuxV is emitting more total lumens than a LuxIII /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Disclaimer: Both hotplugged 2C MgLeds are using DarkZeros sputtered reflectors and flashlightlens heatstrenghtened UCLs lenses

Klaus

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Lambda,
Looks great. Will you be offering TK lights on your site?

Klaus,
You forgot your trademark, the (tm) stuff ..... (tm)

Russ (tm)

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rdf said:

Klaus,

Russ (tm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey wheres the smilie or LOL ™ - part of it is that my dead brain finally rememberred thats ALT 0153 for the ™ sign /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I´m trying to make fun of this once in a while all way back since stupid Intel tried to ™ the I™ and then went on to do the same with 3™ and so on ...... after failing that they went for those Pentium and Itanic names then .....

Klaus

jtice

Flashaholic
This is great !

So, are you planning to sell this as a dropin kit?
If so, when and how much? I WANT ONE !!!

If not, then what do I need to make my own??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

This was just kind of a mod for me, but if you really want one, I could make complete lights or kits. The kits won't be "drop in", as the reflector and switch will both need to be trimmed; reflector for focus and switch to make room for the heatsink/converter.

And I probably should round up some nice BIN T 3Ws to make it a little brighter. These SY0J are nice, but a T might increase output a little.

So, I guess if you want one (kit or flashlight) now's the time to speak up here as it would be a limitted run, and something I'd not want to make into zillion copies...

Monolith

Enlightened
Re: ProMagnum - 2AA, 4AA or 6AA or 2 D cell operat

I'm interested in TK's.

rdf

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
[ QUOTE ]
rdf said:

Klaus,

Hey wheres the smilie or LOL ™ - part of it is that my dead brain finally rememberred thats ALT 0153 for the ™ sign /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I´m trying to make fun of this once in a while all way back since stupid Intel tried to ™ the I™ and then went on to do the same with 3™ and so on ...... after failing that they went for those Pentium and Itanic names then .....

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

ack! Sorry, Klaus. Left out the smileys. Brain cramp. I was definitely kidding; I have enjoyed your jabs at the ever-increasing number of TM tms. (tm)

Back to Lambda: Yes, I would be interested in one of these lights, too.

Russ

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmm, ok, silly question here.
But, I thought that the only converter made by Arcmania, was the micro converter?
Are these something new? Where can I buy them, or find specs on them?

They seem really nice, super flat runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any Idea on cost of a kit?

sygyzy

Enlightened

If you started making them, would you make the various adapters for sale too?

vacuum3d

Enlightened

lambda,
Could we perform the same 2-6 cell trick on your SMD+ kits and get similar result?
From your picture, it looks like there are two convertors stacked against each other. Is it?
I'm interested in a Super Converter kit unless I can achieve similar result from your SMD+, which I already got.

thx,
ernest

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
vacuum3d said:
lambda,
Could we perform the same 2-6 cell trick on your SMD+ kits and get similar result?
From your picture, it looks like there are two convertors stacked against each other. Is it?
I'm interested in a Super Converter kit unless I can achieve similar result from your SMD+, which I already got.

thx,
ernest

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. I built a Tripower (3 SMD) Mag that performs close to this on D cells, but using AA NiMh there is no comparison. ArcMania's Super Converter gets three times the run time and maintains the brightness better.

Yes, the SC is stacked two high. While one could pull the load, it got very hot. Since this converter was originally going into an AA flashlight, I asked that he double up on the drivers so everything runs cool. Plus, that halves the inductor DCR and increases efficiency and makes for the super flat output.

I just checked my stock and I only have 8 battery holders left. To get more requires ordering 100 at a time and I'm not sure I want to do that for this limited run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

That ProMag sure sounds great on this end. I'd sure like to have one!

vacuum3d

Enlightened

Cool. I don't need 8. Just need 1 kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually, after having seen your earlier post regarding stacking 2 SMD+, I went ahead and experimented with it. I did see some small light increase, but very little. I guess I'll have to wait til my Light Meter shows up before I can tell how well the 2xSMD+ is performing against just the single. It was barely noticeable to the eyes.
ernest

Starlight

Enlightened

Kevin,

Sign me up for a black body with the T bin 3W.