52mm glow ring m*g P7

DocD

Enlightened
hi made a smaller glowring to fit under the glass heres some pictures :)

R0010814a.jpg

R0010816a.jpg

R0010817a.jpg

R0010813a.jpg

i would say it get's in the way beam pattern but this torch is so bright it makes no difference

beetleguise

Enlightened
I NEED this for my ostar I just completed. I am using an optic, so it definitely won't affect the beam, there is no beam. Only massive flood. Where did you get this tube? I have the glow powder already.
Thanks!

DocD

Enlightened
I NEED this for my ostar I just completed. I am using an optic, so it definitely won't affect the beam, there is no beam. Only massive flood. Where did you get this tube? I have the glow powder already.
Thanks!
the tubing i got from a fishing shop 2mm I/D post a pic when it's done would be great to see many thanks DocD

DocD

Enlightened
do you think that glow ring may have some problems in a mag85?

thanks
i think the silicon tubing might not like the heat, BUT only one way to find out give it a try:shrug: as for the glow powder it don't mind the heat:) post a picture i like to see how it works out:)

DocD

Enlightened
like a pet store?
no more like the type of silicon tube they would use in a hospital.vetinary,junkey's and fishermen fresh water,fly fishing that sort of thing, pet shops will all have pvc tubing for air pipes to fish tanks hope some of these help good luck:thumbsup:

gojira54

Newly Enlightened
Nice one DocD!!!!!

glow.jpg

Got my freebie O ring in the post today and it's the dogs danglers =]
Nice practical mod, very creative!
:twothumbs

DocD

Enlightened
I'm thinking if there some interest in buying some of these glow-rings
i would make some and sell them :twothumbs price will be for 2 glow-rings shipped to the U.S.A is $ 10.00 dollars.
i can make them in diffrent sizes and diameters, I/D sizes are 2mm,1.5mm and 1mm, the pictures are 2mm and 1mm rings.

R0010818.jpg

R0010820.jpg

R0010822.jpg

please only show interest in this thread
cheers DocD

warlord

Enlightened
I found it easier to fill the tubes using a condiment sqeze container with just a tiny opening cut off the top. Takes maybe 10seconds to fill a mag sized tube. For smaller tubes I was also able to use syringes (without a needle obviously).

I'm sure there are people who are willing to buy these from you. Also, if you start making them in larger quantities the supplies should be considerably cheaper in bulk. These are way better than glow o-rings because of the higher quality of glow material.

beetleguise

Enlightened
I have the glow powder, but not the tubing. If I can't find any locally, I will be interested!

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Would it be possible to mix the glow powder with some kind of gel and use a syringe as suggested above? I think a few feet at a time could be made this way?

As far as the silicone melting. I could be wrong but I think its unlikely:

Atomic Number: 14
Atomic Weight: 28.0855
Melting Point: 1687 K (1414°C or 2577°F)
Boiling Point: 3538 K (3265°C or 5909°F)
Density: 2.3296 grams per cubic centimeter
Phase at Room Temperature: Solid
Element Classification: Semi-metal

warlord

Enlightened
Yes. You can use an epoxy but it may not cure correctly and it would be very difficult to squeeze through a tube of that diameter depending on viscosity; even a short length.

Would it be possible to mix the glow powder with some kind of gel and use a syringe as suggested above? I think a few feet at a time could be made this way?

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened

That would be silicon, not silicone, but wikipedia says it should be good to ~300°C.

Kev.

PS. Did you mean unlikely it would melt or that you'd be wrong? :nana:

DocD

Enlightened
how long do these glow rings/glow powder last for?

on the website it says 12 hours:thinking:
will got to say very bright like the photos charged up with a 10sec burst led light 10 mins then a slow decrease over 1/2 hours or so,but charged with sun light or strong UV light source i think it would glow brighter and longer.
The web site says 12 hours but what amount of powder or light source they use to charge said amount ?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've very interested in several of these if you start making them. Please give us a head-up if and when you start selling them.

:paypal:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep got my glow powder from glow inc, as for getting the powder in the tube:eek:
A very small cut to the ounce bag and tip it in this takes about 10min, just keep flicking the tube to settle the powder in the tube when full
just super glue together and there you have a glowring :thumbsup:

Wouldn't it be easier to mix the glow powder with some clear silicone and use a bag with a small hole in a corner to squeeze it in like a pastry bag?

FenglerF1

Newly Enlightened
Another place to find this tubing would be a hobby shop, like hobby town USA, look where the Nitro R/C cars are. They use the same type of tubing for the fuel lines, I don't know wether they say the ID but I would bet it to be close.

Edit: how many rings could I make with 1oz of the powder?
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: