6 Cell Maglite Upgrade. Terralux sucks

pschach

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6 cell D maglite. I ordered the 6ex 140 lumen upgrade from Terralux. It came on dim for a second and then went out. The batteries are new Alkaline Duracell coppertops and the flashlight is new.

Can anyone tell my why the LED doesn't work?

What is the best upgrade I can do to this flashlight without making it overheat after minutes and draining the battery after an hour. I would love having 600 lumens but that terralux upgrade kills the batteries very quickly and overheats from what I have read.

thanks

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6 cell D maglite. I ordered the 6ex 140 lumen upgrade from Terralux. It came on dim for a second and then went out. The batteries are new Alkaline Duracell coppertops and the flashlight is new.

Can anyone tell my why the LED doesn't work?

Considering they're under warranty... just return it to your place of purchase and let them work out why it doesn't work as described :thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with ElectronGuru. Malkoff is supreme and usable with as well alkalines and NimH cells, though NiMh is better. Using 12Ah NiMh you can expect several hours regulated output with the P7 dropin and of course several times even longer runtime with the 4-6D dropin.

Regards, Patric

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
Being a newbie here i'll probably get laughed at but I just picked up the NiteIZE
drop in and although it does not have the performance of the Terralux 6EX it
suits my purposes just fine and was a local pickup at Lowes and was cheap at
about $14.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like nowawadays we have a couple of options for led c and d cell lights so drop ins are less and less necessary, unless you are really attached to the focuasing head of the maglite. There is the new c cell lumapower light, there is the popular rayovac sportsman extreme, the lowes taskforce and the duracell daylite c and d cell lights. All of these can be had for usually less than a malkoff drop-in, and infinitely easier to get your hands on.

Just my two cents.

light obsessed

Newly Enlightened
The malkoff p7 d cell drop in it will produce about 700 out the front lumens. A good battery for this dropin is high capacity accupower low self discharge nimh batteries. Run the drop in on 6 of the accupower batteries and you will get 5 to 6 hours of runtime. A good charger for d cell batteries is the maha mh-c808m charger. It has the ability to charge up to 8 d cells, c cells, or AA batteries. It's one of the best chargers under $100.

burntoshine

Enlightened
i bought the same terralux drop in and mine works fine; maybe you got a defective one... try contacting where you bought it.

dcycleman

Enlightened
I have a P4 frome Gene coming in the mail (hopefully tomorro) you can still run regular D cells and gene claims 240 lumens for 8 hours then diminishing light. Sounds good to me. Plus I like stuff made in the US by good people. Those are the people I want my money supporting.

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
Why would someone pay $120 for a Mag Light p7 drop in when you can buy a complete P7 based torch for the same money? Just asking. I have several Maglights. Won two 3 D lights at a golf tourney and ended up giving them away as they wouldn't draw flys on ebay.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Why would someone pay $120 for a Mag Light p7 drop in when you can buy a complete P7 based torch for the same money? Just asking. I have several Maglights. Won two 3 D lights at a golf tourney and ended up giving them away as they wouldn't draw flys on ebay.

If you like the maglite body. Some do, you know. It breathes new life into old technology that you might have kicking around the house. There are a variety of options in terms of mods for various battery types and configs, which equals flexibility. Not to mention it makes a good 'sleeper' light, e.g. the non-flashaholics will be all :eek:oo: when you turn that bad boy on.

outersquare

Enlightened
i have the terralux i bought couple years ago, but it is a dated product.

the current rebel 2D mag is just as bright as the terralux dropin in my 6D.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Being a newbie here i'll probably get laughed at but I just picked up the NiteIZE drop in

The NiteIze 10mm drop-in is an awesome marathon-runtime upgrade, only made better by the low price. You can get 90+ hours from a 4D with one of these, great for power outages.

Not all good mods have to be expensive..

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I have the same terralux led bulb in a 4D maglite. Never had any problems. Sounds like you got a bad one. I doesn't happen very often, though I have heard of a few. Sounds a bit like reverse polarity damage. Maybe someone at factory tested it with the batteries backwards? IDK

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
The NiteIze 10mm drop-in is an awesome marathon-runtime upgrade, only made better by the low price. You can get 90+ hours from a 4D with one of these, great for power outages.

Not all good mods have to be expensive..

That was my line of thinking - thanks.

Saint Dogbert also made some very good points as well.

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
Checked out Malkoff site and will probably order a 3D drop in. 240 lumens is strong. I bought a Xenon lamp for my 3D and it is still very wimpy throw compared to a 6p clone with an R2. I think Maglite specs say 80+ lumens. I am all for made in America when I can afford it but Seoul Semi and Lumiled emitters are made off shore. What's wrong with Cree?

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 Dcell Maglites (3D, 5D & 6D) all with various Terralux drop ins.
They all perform excellently :D
I am interested in doing some further upgrade mods, perhaps a Malkoff P7 ? only as an enthusiast and having yet another bright toy!

The primary use of my 3 x Dcell Maglites has "absolutely nothing" to do with providing any type of illumination (that is just a handy secondary function of a Dcell Maglite).

So to answer why would anyone wish to upgrade a Maglite then I can offer this as an explanation:

In a past life I was a tow truck driver, my 6D was a primary tool used for:
Knocking glass out of windows
Levering fenders off tyres
Used as a feeder tool to lay my wire winch rope on neatly (and an excellent job it did, hence my black light is now just about bare alloy)
A hammer to carry out various panel repairs/door realignments etc
A animal control device (used it to remove a brown snake from under a car dash)
A persuasion device for "angry" customers
A therapy device for "very angry" customers

Occasionally I even used it for illumination :sssh:
And numerous other tasks that I can not imagine doing with my Fenix T1, TK11R2, SF6P, M30 Olight or other high end flashlight.

I have my Dcell maglites : 1 in my 4x4, 1 in my work vehicle and 1 by my front door and NONE of them are for primary lighting devices :twak:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am all for made in America when I can afford it but Seoul Semi and Lumiled emitters are made off shore. What's wrong with Cree?
The Cree XR-E and MC-E looks lousy with a standard (smooth) Mag reflector.

The XP-G ought to look OK. Maybe we'll see a new generation of easy Mag mods based on it or the Luminus emitters.

Bullman

Newly Enlightened
If you like the maglite body. Some do, you know. It breathes new life into old technology that you might have kicking around the house. There are a variety of options in terms of mods for various battery types and configs, which equals flexibility. Not to mention it makes a good 'sleeper' light, e.g. the non-flashaholics will be all :eek:oo: when you turn that bad boy on.

ha ha ha, when I think 'sleeper' light and maglite in the same post I think of something completely different. :whistle:

I haven't ever really hit anyone with a mag, but I have thought about it.:rolleyes:

And as soon as he gets them back in stock, I am doing a Malkoff upgrade on my maglite.

Latest posts