64663 36V 400 Watt Ele II - Overdriven by 10 cells

sylathnie

Enlightened
Yep. It is huge. I'm trying to figure out how to mirrorize the lower half of the bulb. I figure i'm losing quite a few lumes back into the body of the light. Needless to say with that size filament it produces a very floody light. Anyone have a FM 3 inch head (red) they would be willing to sell?

I'm waiting for AWs new soft starter to really play with the 64665. It will take some nice voltage levels without popping.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Nice build. Kudos.

I really like the 64663. It really screams when it is overdriven.

I thought about doing something similar but even with a nine inch reflector, the 64663 is not focused as sharply as I would prefer. I would like to see what an even larger reflector could do with that huge filament. I really like a tightly focused beam.

I have an FM3V2 with a 64458 and it is almost all flood. I think it would be even more floody with the 64663 and not be much of an improvement over the Throwmaster. If you are in the Los Angeles area, by chance, you could see just how floody it is and also see how the 64663 looks with a nine inch reflector.

A tip on using a tripod with an image stabilized camera such as your Canon SD800; turn off the IS. I see in the EXIF data that the IS was turned on in continuous mode. I have several cameras and lenses with IS and if I forget to turn off the IS when I am using a tripod, I usually get some "camera shake" type blur from the IS slightly moving the lens element even with the camera held steady.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Hrm so maybe I need a different reflector entirely to get that beam tighter. Anyone know of any other possible reflectors? Perhaps it's more of a difference in reflector design that I need to be looking for. I guess I need to start researching optics and reflectors.

Unfortunately I'm way over in Ohio. But thanks for the offer! Where does one purchase a 9 inch reflector?

The camera was actually being held in my hand. I'm just standing out on my front porch. There's really no good place to set up a tripod. (If I had a tripod)

SafetyBob

Enlightened
For a 9 inch reflector you would have to find a cheap light at Pep Boys or Walmart. Like one of the Thor's I think.....1 or 2 million CP (well, at least that's what it says on the box). 20 or 30 bucks and then start rippin' stuff out!! All you need it a light with a metal reflector.....

I was thinking about throwing a HID light in one of those cheap lights but this monster may be the ticket.

I still cannot believe just how huge that bulb is compared to a 623....amazing.

Bob E.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Great accomplishment. I have not been willing to use my 400w bulbs yet, so I added this to the #1 spot. Here are a few of the other "big boys" I have lying around. You can identify them on large photo. Funny to see them make the 623 look like a weenie bulb. I don't think "Sublimator" captures this, as that tends to evoke images of snow flakes evaporating. I was thinking something more like "Terrorizer."

I don't think you would gain that much with a 3" head on that bulb. Maybe Modamag's upcoming 4" Colossus. The Blitz reflector is more of an ideal size for these size bulbs.

Last edited:

sylathnie

Enlightened
Here is some testing of the 64665 that I did. It can take some serious voltages. Sadly my switch could not. :poof: (And I couldn't find a good head to put it in)

The 64664 was actually depressing. It only took about 37V before it died.

Notchman

Newly Enlightened
sylathnie Do You Sell Any Lights Like That Im In ohio Also If So Get With Me

sylathnie

Enlightened
If sold this would be an expensive light. It was built for the shear purpose of pushing the "mag" form to the extreme. Someday this light may end up on the B/S/T but it won't be for a while. The giggle factor just hasn't left yet. :naughty: I'm not certain if some of the parts are even available any more.
Just for reference if you are interested in building your own. (Not a first project, this thing is dangerous:poof:)
Sublimator:
Silver 2D mag
Kiu Switch Kit
2.5" Throwmaster
Elephant II (Option C)
Ryobi 18V One+ Lithium Pack (10 Batteries and MOSFET switch)
Osram 64663 bulb
Misc resistors, circuit boards, wire, and copper contacts.

Support Hardware:
Mastech HY5020E (For testing and charger)
Hyperion 1210I
2x Hyperion LBA10
Hodgepodge balance assembly of plumbing parts and wire.

It's going to take alot of time and you will be buying spares. (I've destroyed 3 cells, 1 battery holder, 2 reflectors, 1 Mastech power supply, a couple of MOSFETs, and countless bulbs)

(Whew that was alot of links... hopefully they help! :duh2:)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
If sold this would be an expensive light. It was built for the shear purpose of pushing the "mag" form to the extreme. Someday this light may end up on the B/S/T but it won't be for a while. The giggle factor just hasn't left yet. :naughty: I'm not certain if some of the parts are even available any more.
Just for reference if you are interested in building your own. (Not a first project, this thing is dangerous:poof:)
Sublimator:
Silver 2D mag
Kiu Switch Kit
2.5" Throwmaster
Elephant II (Option C)
Ryobi 18V One+ Lithium Pack (10 Batteries and MOSFET switch)
Osram 64663 bulb
Misc resistors, circuit boards, wire, and copper contacts.

Support Hardware:
Mastech HY5020E (For testing and charger)
Hyperion 1210I
2x Hyperion LBA10
Hodgepodge balance assembly of plumbing parts and wire.

It's going to take alot of time and you will be buying spares. (I've destroyed 3 cells, 1 battery holder, 2 reflectors, 1 Mastech power supply, a couple of MOSFETs, and countless bulbs)

(Whew that was alot of links... hopefully they help! :duh2:)

Excellent post and links. Thanks! I appreciate the emphasized in red part of your post, and suspected as much. What ruined the Mastech? I got a linear Mastech 3020, as did not see that a switching would be as reliable for various purposes.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Dumping 45V into a 64665 without any voltage ramp up or soft-starter caused a MOSFET in the power supply to go :poof:. It was easily repaired once I got ahold of a schematic and started testing the circuit. Still, it was almost a $300 oops. I now have a slightly modified power supply. (New MOSFET is more effecient and rated for higher loads).
I was unable to locate a 50V 20A linear DC power supply that would fit on my bench. (And agree with my wallet) Since the project I was working on at the time utilized up to 12 Lithium cells I needed the higher voltage for testing purposes.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Honestly the 2D is only in there for the piece of the head, the switch core, and the little rubber switch cap. It's about as far from the 2D as it can get and still have a little bit of mag "feel" to it.

I still tell people it's a modified mag though. Its just easier. :shrug:

dtmcnamara

Newly Enlightened
what batteries and how many are you using to run these? Also what other electronics?

its just amazing what you can fit inside a flashlight now

Metatron

Banned
great stuff there, i tried out mine with the 400 watt globe just using 8 IMR's it lit up super bright for 10 secs and then yellowed out, so i have gone back to the osram 24volt 50 watter and its amazing. am using a 40 volt switch by AW specially made for this so i am well in the clear.